Ren'Py 8.1 and Ren'Py 7.6 Prereleases

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 8.1 and Ren'Py 7.6 Prereleases

#1 Post by PyTom »

These are prereleases, a last chance to test and report issues before the final release.

Ren'Py 8.1 is the second feature release of Ren'Py that supports Python 3. This release is the first version of Ren'Py 8 to run on the web platform, and is recommended for all new games and games that plan to release after May 2024.

I'm happy to announce Ren'Py 7.6, a feature release that retains support for Python 2.7. This release is intended to support games that do not support Python 3 yet, and plan to release before May 2024.

Ren'Py 8.1 and Ren'Py 7.6 are a joint release that add improved documentation, fixes, and many new features to Ren'Py. Some of the new features are:
  • Ren'Py Sync, an easy way to synchronize save games between computers, phones, and the web.
  • A built-in way for displaying character dialogue in speech bubbles, including an interactive editor for positioning the bubbles.
  • Ren'Py 8-only support for progressive web apps, including features like installing on a device and caching data locally.
  • Apple Silicon support.
  • Sticky layers, such that an image tag remains associated with a layer until it's hidden.
  • Detached layers, that are displayables themselves.
  • Support for displaying AVIF images.
  • Support for displaying SVG images.
  • Support for oversampled images, which can be used to upgrade a game to a higher resolution.
  • Support for AV1 video on PC and Mobile platforms, with web support depending on browser support.
  • A rewritten audio mixing system that works on a per-sample basis, allowing for smoother fadeouts and removing clicks.
  • Volume sliders that work in decibels, and hence are more responsive.
  • Viewports that can be dragged on touch screen devices, even if the player is touching a button or bar.
  • Support for \_ren.py files, that allow Ren'Py script to be edited using Python text editors (allowing for better completion of Python-heavy files).
  • The use of lenticular brackets as a simpler syntax for ruby text (furigana).
  • The ability to substitute text before self-voicing is performed, allowing pronunciation to be changed.
  • A new warning that reminds people that it's insecure to load saves from people you do not fully trust.
  • New transform properties that control rotation on the 3D Stage.
As well as many more new features, improvements, fixes, and a dark theme for the documentation.

Downloads of 8.1.0 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/8.1.0

Downloads of 7.6.0 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.6.0

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.

The first batch of prereleases are versions 8.1.0.23042213 and 7.6.0.23042213. I've been getting issue reports from the community for the entire nightly build cycle, so these should be fairly mature already. That being said, please test these with your games - there are tons of features, fixes, and improvements that you'll benefit from. Thanks in advance to everyone who tests.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 8.1 and Ren'Py 7.6 Prereleases

#2 Post by m_from_space »

Awesome work, Tom! I really appreciate all you do for this huge project. This is especially clear, since I always read the full changelog in detail. :D

Something I just realized when using a new feature: https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/4568

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Andredron »

PyTom wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:44 pm These are prereleases, a last chance to test and report issues before the final release.

Ren'Py 8.1 is the second feature release of Ren'Py that supports Python 3. This release is the first version of Ren'Py 8 to run on the web platform, and is recommended for all new games and games that plan to release after May 2024.

video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xg85G- ... YvzaL/view

Good afternoon, decided to test version 8.1. When I try to download the sdk an error comes up. When deleting a full and downloading a new version, the same error comes out and my friend
Well, I still do not have a project for android since version 8.x.x, so I do not download the update because of this

So I just downloaded 8.1. Pressed the Android button, installed RAPT, press Install SDK and an exception pops up. In renpy 7 everything works as it should, they are in different folders of course
I downloaded rapt again, put in it the cdk from 753, put in the package signature keys from 753, everything seemed to be fine, but the build fails, although all the previous exceptions do not appear anymore

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

Are you sure you have the right version of Java installed? It looks like you might have the wrong JDK.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

Note that until the update happened, Ren'Py was recommending the wrong version of Java (too new).

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Andredron »

PyTom wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:32 pm Are you sure you have the right version of Java installed? It looks like you might have the wrong JDK.
Um, if you think logically, and the problem is Java, then why does it install smoothly on version 7? Logically, if the original problem is all in Java, then God forbid the 7 Renpee to be buggy....? Seems...logical

sandpie

#7 Post by sandpie »

Hi I am trying renpy 8.1.0.
How do I manually configure existing android keys? In renpy 7 I was using local.properties and bundle.properties file pointing to my android keystore, but I'd say it's not enough for renpy8 launcher.
I placed my updated local.properties and bundle.properties file inside rapt/project as it happened in renpy7

the files look like this

Code: Select all

key.store=C:/keyStore/Android.keystore
key.alias=myAppAlias
key.store.password=MyPassword
key.alias.password=MyAliasPassword
sdk.dir=C:/renpy-8.1.0-sdk/rapt/Sdk
but trying to build android app the launcher says "RAPT has been installed, but a key hasn't been configured. Please generate new keys or copy android.keystore and bundle.keystore to the base directory".
Since I'd like to avoid keeping multiple copies of the keystores and I use them in other frameworks too, I don't want to move those files, nor I need to generate new keys. I guess it should work as in renpy 7, or am I missing something?

Thank you :)
P.s. I am really excited about svg support, good job!

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#8 Post by Ocelot »

sandpie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:16 am Hi I am trying renpy 8.1.0.
How do I manually configure existing android keys? In renpy 7 I was using local.properties and bundle.properties file pointing to my android keystore, but I'd say it's not enough for renpy8 launcher.
I placed my updated local.properties and bundle.properties file inside rapt/project as it happened in renpy7
[...]
Since I'd like to avoid keeping multiple copies of the keystores and I use them in other frameworks too, I don't want to move those files, nor I need to generate new keys. I guess it should work as in renpy 7, or am I missing something?
In changelog:
https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html wrote: Android

Android has been changed so that the android.keystore file and bundle.keystore file are expected to be found in the project's base directory, and not in the rapt directory. This allows projects to be built with different keys, and helps ensure the same keys are used with multiple Android versions.

When the new "Generate Keys" button is pressed, if old keystore files exist, Ren'Py will offer to copy the old files into the project.

The android configuration file has been renamed from .android.json to android.json. Ren'Py will automatically create the new file if the old exists.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

sandpie

#9 Post by sandpie »

Thank you @Ocelot I've seen that but I presumed that since I am not planning to have multiple keystores to handle (I once had 2 and that lead to disasters because I am stupid and prone to mistakes) I still could point to my unique, backupped daily and well-loved preexisting keystore through gradle properties files (which for the records are ignored if placed in the game base directory and I believe should be placed inside rapts/sdk). :)

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#10 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Not sure which is the "canonical" version of the preference value, but there's a mismatch between the documentation and the actual prerelease for the new web cache value:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/scre ... Preference
The documentation uses [web preload cache].

In 00preferences, the checked value is currently [web cache preload].

Edit: I noticed that sometimes the launcher doesn't properly update the active game title, but I'm not sure what may be causing it. I think it happens after building a package, but I'm not certain.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

sandpie

#11 Post by sandpie »

I am sorry to bother again: I am unable to open the speech bubble editor and I'd say it doesn't work yet.

If I make my Character kind=bubble before running the project from launcher, the project crashes pressing start on the menu: using SHIFT+B here have no effect.

Code: Select all

File "renpy/common/00speechbubble.rpy", line 191, in do_show
    tag_properties[image_tag] = self.bubble_default_properties(image_tag)
  File "renpy/common/00speechbubble.rpy", line 139, in bubble_default_properties
    raise Exception("A speech bubble is being used, but bubble.properties has not been set.")
Exception: A speech bubble is being used, but bubble.properties has not been set.
If I run the project, add kind=bubble and reload while someone is speaking leads to the same error (but triggered in another line of dialog).

If I run the project without kind, move on a screen without dialogues, add kind to Character and reload the script, it doesn't crash unless I trigger a line of dialogue, so I can press SHIFT+B:
Pressing SHIFT+B appears to do nothing, but sometimes it shows in a corner the text: Speech Bubble Editor(hide). The editor never appears though.

Hope this can help, thank you anyway :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#12 Post by PyTom »

Andredron wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:25 am
PyTom wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:32 pm Are you sure you have the right version of Java installed? It looks like you might have the wrong JDK.
Um, if you think logically, and the problem is Java, then why does it install smoothly on version 7? Logically, if the original problem is all in Java, then God forbid the 7 Renpee to be buggy....? Seems...logical
I've just tried it here on my mac, and I'm able to build Android apps on Ren'Py 8.1. Could you scroll to the right, to see if there is any more error message than is included in your video?

It is failing in the test for JDK 8, though I don't obviously see why.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

sandpie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:37 am Thank you @Ocelot I've seen that but I presumed that since I am not planning to have multiple keystores to handle (I once had 2 and that lead to disasters because I am stupid and prone to mistakes) I still could point to my unique, backupped daily and well-loved preexisting keystore through gradle properties files (which for the records are ignored if placed in the game base directory and I believe should be placed inside rapts/sdk). :)
If you'd like to use your own keys, configure your game, edit android.json to set update_keystores to false, and then edit ``local.properties`` and ``bundle.properties`` in ``rapt/project`` to point to your own keystore files.

This is pretty well hidden - it's thought if you want to do this you know what you're doing. And for everyone else, it's a footgun. But I did add the ability to override the key updating. The documentation was wrong - I'm fixing it now.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#14 Post by PyTom »

Jackkel Dragon wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm Not sure which is the "canonical" version of the preference value, but there's a mismatch between the documentation and the actual prerelease for the new web cache value:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/scre ... Preference
The documentation uses [web preload cache].

In 00preferences, the checked value is currently [web cache preload].

Edit: I noticed that sometimes the launcher doesn't properly update the active game title, but I'm not sure what may be causing it. I think it happens after building a package, but I'm not certain.

These have both been fixed.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

Version 8.1.0.23050101)
Version 7.6.0.23050101)

I've updated the prerelease to fix the issues discussed above, save for Andredron's, which I don't understand well enough to fix. This also includes:

* Fixes for issues reported at github.
* A new thoughtbubble image.
* Documentation for how to support bubbles in an existing game (fixing sandpies most recent issuie).
* Some compatibility for the fade changes.
* Support for Multiply and Screen colors in Live2D.

Thank you to everyone who tested so far.