[Open] Animated CGI Sprites (And Backgrounds) For Your Visual Novel

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
AgentCandy
Projects: Oixdized Heart
Deviantart: reddere-artifex
itch: reddere-artifex

[Open] Animated CGI Sprites (And Backgrounds) For Your Visual Novel

#1 Post by AgentCandy »

People keep telling me how unusual and rare it is for a visual novel to contain animated character sprites, so I intend to change that.

Contents:
  • Examples of my work
  • What I can do for you
  • What I cannot do for you
  • Possible Bulk Buy Discounts
  • How To Contact Me
  • F.A.Q.
Examples of my work:

Here is a character from my recent visual novel release performing a "naval salute" (click in to play the animation as it does not play in forum view):
Beatrice Salute No Blink.gif
You can see the animation working in the game here:
Video of it working available at my Deviantart page here.

Screenshot from the video:
Animation Working In Game (Beatrice Salute).png

I would also encourage you to have play the demo of my Oxidated Heart game, which has a topic in the "work in progress" section of the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=66577

You can also go to the itch.io store page and download it.

Lastly, there are further animation samples located in my Deviantart gallery, which will be updated on a regular basis.

What I can do for you:

"tl; dr version":
  • I will sculpt custom characters to your specification.
  • I will animate your character model(s) and give you the frames of animation to then add to Ren'Py.
  • I also make backgrounds.
  • I can also make standalone images featuring your characters.
  • Payment via PayPal.
Sculpting A Custom Character:
  • Prices start from US$30 per character (plus the cost of any clothing/hair assets I do not already own)
  • Character design will generally involve at least 1 hour, usually 2-3 hours of work (occasionally more, depending on the level of detail involved).
  • Ideally, I would want to be sharing my own screen with you as we do this, so that you may give feedback in real-time (and therefore limit the need for revisions later).
  • I can also work from reference images provided, if you are unable to join me in a voice call.
  • Once the character design is done, I will render out a still of that character for you, so you have a sample of how it will look when it gets animated.
Animating Your Character:

Given my recent adventure making a visual novel with fully animated character sprites, I have gained a bunch of Ren'Py experience. I now know how to get animations working for Ren'Py, crucially without the requirement of converting the frames of animation into a video format first. As part of the process, I will show you how I got my own frames of animation playing in Ren'Py.

Animations will be priced per frame:

If I have already made the animation timeline you wish to use then it will be priced US$1 for every two frames of animation. E.g. thirty frames of animation shall be priced at US$15.

If I need to make a new animation timeline for your custom character then the price will be US$1 per frame. E.g. thirty frames of animation shall cost US$30 instead of US$15.

Making Backgrounds:

Pries start at US$15.

I will apply some lighting to a scene and render out it out so you can use it as a background in your visual novel. Please note that I will not make animated backgrounds. Not yet at least anyway.

I also can make custom environments by taking props/assets from one environment and adding them to another and also by changing the textures on props. This will give your environments a unique feel. For example, if there is a bedroom environment you like the look of but want to switch out one bed for another, this is easily done!

What I cannot do for you:
  • I do not make animated backgrounds (only animated character sprites for now).
  • I will not make anything involving gore.
  • I will not animate anything sexually explicit.
  • I'd need to purchase the models to make "furry" characters, so no furry characters for now, only human characters and centaurs.

Possible Bulk Buy Discounts:
If you need a lot of content, we could discuss a discount for buying in bulk.

How To Contact Me

You may contact me by replying to this topic, sending me a private message, by reaching out to me at my Deviantart page (e.g. a Note) or through my itch.io page. I do have a Discord account and I will give that to you in private once you have reached out to me. I am in the official Ren'Py Discord, so I could find your Discord account by searching there, if you give me the details.

F.AQ.:

Q1: Will I join a long-term project?

A: It really depends on what it is and how much I feel I would enjoy the project. I may do, I may not. Bear in mind, I do have my own games that I want to make. If you have an established crowd-funding page (which you are already gaining in an income from), I could be payed a cut of that but I must stress that I do want to be paid for my work.

Q2: Will I work on "not safe for work" (adult) games?

A: Yes I will, I just do not want to animate anything sexuality explicit. But I will happily make standalone images of sexuality explicit interactions. This is related to the next question.

Q3: Will you make animations involving interacting figures?

A: Maybe. It really depends on the animation. Something like "two characters holding hands" will be simple enough (famous last words). Just remember, interacting figures is a whole new level of "difficulty" (for lack of a better word).

Q4: Will I work for free?

A: No. I want to be paid for my work via PayPal (mere "credit" is not enough). If you have an already established crowd-funding page, I could be payed a cut of that but I must stress that I do want to be paid for my work.

Any other questions will be added here.
Please check out my fully animated dating sim game: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=66577
Yes, all character sprites are animated.