Question for people with completed games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

Re: Question for people with completed games

#16 Post by Enerccio »

keep in mind, that a lot of people have laptops, which are wide screen!
That is far more important problem, because when 1024x768 starts on a 1200x800 screen, it's horrible
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

Meems
Regular

#17 Post by Meems »

Enerccio wrote:keep in mind, that a lot of people have laptops, which are wide screen!
That is far more important problem, because when 1024x768 starts on a 1200x800 screen, it's horrible
This.

I downloaded the Spirited Heart demo recently, which I think is in 1024x768. It's a great game, but I have to choose between playing in windowed mode - and losing the bottom of the screen completely - or playing in fullscreen mode and putting up with the graphics being all stretched.

I'd actually prefer 800x600. It might be tiny but at least I can see the whole thing.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#18 Post by Vatina »

Enerccio wrote:keep in mind, that a lot of people have laptops, which are wide screen!
Yes, that is exactly my problem.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#19 Post by jack_norton »

It's a workaround, but in your videocard control panel or in your monitor there should be an option to NOT stretch the image when fullscreen. I am using it on my Syncmaster Samsung and I play the renpy games at their original resolution + black bands on the sides. Better than the stretching.
What people need to understand is that you CAN'T fix an image drawn at 1024x768 to fit a widescreen! It's 2d, so you can't stretch it AND have it look normal... you can do that for the image sprites since are transparent, but not with the backgrounds (already the character sprites would be nice though).
When in a few years 99% of monitors will be widescreen won't be a problem anymore for us poor developers of 2d games :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by DaFool »

I finally found the answer to the question of what resolution should succeed after 800x600 and 640x480.

http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=540845

TYPE-MOON, being, you know, a leader in the field, has their game at 1024x576 (widescreen). It's smaller in the height category, but at least it will work perfectly on netbooks and ipad/e-reader-like devices, which should be the perfect application for an electronic novel. Manufacturers still sell brand-new netbooks with 1024x600 resolutions. I had experimented with 800x450 (It should have been 800x480 which is listed as one of the standard resolutions for Android-powered devices), and it felt like a step backward coming from 800x600. This on the other hand seems like an improvement, as well as a compromise taking account all the portable devices with small widescreen resolutions. It's just that I've never seen the particular resolution being paraded around until now.

Of course, my ultimate aim is 720p HD (I do not have any machine capable of playing back 1080p full HD, much less creating content in full HD), so all my art assets are targeted to output at 1280x720 and will be resized to 1024x576. I've been so confused for a long time since I keep seeing so many 16:10 resolutions, but with what happened to the newer models of the imac and PC monitors and such it seems 16:9 will be the dominant aspect ratio.

Not that there'll be a problem anyway since Ren'Py 6.11 will feature built-in aspect ratio preservation (no blaming your videocard anymore!). But with screen language and freedom to create a layout as easy as in Photoshop, I need not worry about repositioning buttons because of differing aspect ratios.

Jake
Support Hero

#21 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: all my art assets are targeted to output at 1280x720 and will be resized to 1024x576.
A word of warning - if you resize an image to be just a little bit smaller like that you're likely to get some noticeable scaling effects, from blurring to obvious missed rows, depending on the algorithm used... scaling always looks best when you're starting with two or more source pixels for every target pixel in each dimension, IMO. For a x0.8 scale, I'd be tempted to at least try cropping instead.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Fireserpent
Regular

#22 Post by Fireserpent »

I'm making my game in 800x600 mostly because all the pngs will take up so much more space, and I don't like scaling up the images..

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#23 Post by sake-bento »

Oh hey, my latest poll talked about this:
http://sakevisual.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... -size.html
Sample size of 101 people, so maybe the numbers will be interesting to everyone?

As previously mentioned, though, aspect ratio is a much bigger deal than size, and that one seems much harder to find a viable solution to.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#24 Post by jack_norton »

My server browsers stats through google analitics:
1. 1024x768 24.17%
2. 1280x800 20.75%
3. 1440x900 9.88%
4. 1280x1024 9.00%
5. 1366x768 6.61%

of course they might be browsing from work, so not sure. Still interesting that MOST people have 1024x768 resolutions!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games