Feedback for: Showering, a short surreal point and click adventure

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kafkaontheshore

Feedback for: Showering, a short surreal point and click adventure

#1 Post by kafkaontheshore »

Hello there!

I made a very short point and click adventure where you can collect and combine items.

I would be very happy about feedback regarding programming or design/style (or what comes to your mind). I am eager to get to know python and renpy more so if it looks like Im missing key points in my programming please point it out.
I would probably try to get a bit into pygame and combine it with renpy.

Here is the link: https://thxforthefish.itch.io/showering

My defined images, transitions and screens are living in ownscreens.rpy and my script, default vabs and defined functions in script.rpy.
Also the checking for whether items can be combined also happens in script.rpy

Thanks for your time!

liambeale
itch: noirinhongkong

Re: Feedback for: Showering, a short surreal point and click adventure

#2 Post by liambeale »

I had a good time with this one and I really think it illustrates how Renpy can be used really well. I love the art style and the animations (How did you do that? I'm genuinely envious.)

Brothnaken
Discord: Chaos Brothnaken#4318

#3 Post by Brothnaken »

It's fun, although you might want to add something to the help about how to combine things, because I was actually stuck for a bit and guessed randomly, but most players probally won't have my problem, I am just a little slow.

something like

Code: Select all

hbox: 
        label _("Combining")
        text _("Click one item in invtory, then click another")
in the help screen would work, although the mouse help makes the most sense.

but yeah, it looks great, I only got the Nah... ending, because my brain kinda dies when I play puzzles, even with ones that are mostly common sense, I will follow you on itch, because "Showering" is intriguing and I want to see where you take it.
Treat yourself with kindness

kafkaontheshore

#4 Post by kafkaontheshore »

liambeale wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:48 pm I had a good time with this one and I really think it illustrates how Renpy can be used really well. I love the art style and the animations (How did you do that? I'm genuinely envious.)
Thank you for your feedback :D

I painted the background with water color and edited it a bit in Krita. Generally I use mainly rough and textured brushes. I do not zoom in too closely and try to keep the image clear through focusing on the lighting.
I animated everything per hand (also in Krita) with the exception of:
The trees: I used animation curves in Krita (which was for me terribly to work with, I recommend trying out other software)
The tongue: I animated the walkcycle manually but used the transition capabilities of Krita to start the animation at a new place.

Have I answered your question?

kafkaontheshore

#5 Post by kafkaontheshore »

Also thanks for your reply Brothnaken.
Brothnaken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:22 pm It's fun, although you might want to add something to the help about how to combine things, because I was actually stuck for a bit and guessed randomly,
I will think about how I can make the inventory more intuitive, thats valuable feedback!
Brothnaken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:22 pm only got the Nah... ending
(And there is only one ending, so you did fine :))