Horror VN looking for team [Open] [Free - but still willing to pay a tiny bit]

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Horror VN looking for team [Open] [Free - but still willing to pay a tiny bit]

#1 Post by Der Tor »

I am working on writing a short, story driven horror visual novel (or to be more precise it's probably gonna end up staying a kinetic novel, though I am not ruling out adding some choices later on). Maybe not really horror but very dark and atmospheric. I have already made several games like that in the past that you can see on my Itch page. So instead of an outline I'm just going to show you the first page of what I have written (obviously this is just the beginning, just to give you a very rough idea of what it's going to be about)

And I am already looking for some help, cause even though I have used Ren'Py for my games in the the past, that was over 10 years ago, so I am I bit rusty on it, so I am looking for someone currently familiar with Ren'Py to turn it into an an actual Ren'Py script. Just very simple, basic stuff, nothing fancy, just so that I can put my focus on actually writing the story instead of worrying about the Python indentations. So even someone who is still learning Ren'Py and is looking to gain some experience, is fine. And even so and even though this is going to be a free project, I am even willing to pay a tiny little bit (I mean like maybe 30 dollars or so all in all, just as a small incentive, so don't expect to make a living of it). Same goes for an artist (or even someone who is good at making AI make images is fine too).

Anyway, here would be the beginning of my story, just so as to give you guys a basic idea:

A Legend of an Ancient Evil

We see images of burned out buildings, rubble, rats frolicking amidst the rubble, cast in a dim, barely visible sunlight, blocked by smoke and ashes.

In the distance we gradually see a man emerging from the twilight covered in mist and smoke. He is skinny and weak, moving slowly, as tough constantly on his last breath. His skin hangs loosely around his dirty, smelly body that is barely covered by rags.

Breathing heavily he makes his way past our point of view and past ruins of concrete of what must have once been a vibrant city. Though it is hard to say when that was. Maybe it has only been a few weeks since cars roamed these streets and children went to school in what is now a pile of concrete and asbestos. But it might as well have been ages ago.

The barely human figure makes its way past the ruins, entering a “forest” of burned tree stumps and then up a hill and finally into a small cave there, its entrance hidden by some bushes. Inside there is barely room for a makeshift chair and a makeshift table with a candle on it that our protagonist just lit.

He sits down, his scarred, wrinkled and tired face barely illuminated by the candle. He takes out a notebook and a pen and begins to write something. He then puts the pen away again and looks straight at our point of view and at us, the audience.

Ya must be wondering what happened, he says, speaking directly to us and with a slightly annoying wannabe American accent that sounds like he either watched too many Westerns set in Texas or too many urban crime dramas set in Harlem. Don’t worry bout that now, he continues. Ain’t nothing you or anyone can do bout it now. Well, the only thing left to do for you, is to make some choices. They ain’t gonna change the fate of humanity or anything, but they just might change yours. So while I am not gonna tell ya what happened, I am going to tell ya HOW it happened. Because as always, it happened slowly and then all at once. And it started a long, long time ago. Long before you or me or before what’s left of our civilization even got started. And it all started in a cave…

Fade dissolve whatever to a cave similar to this one, but actually much bigger and nicer. Well lit by lanterns and furnished by elaborate statues, columns and paintings. And though they are technically cave paintings by what must technically be cave men, they might as well have been painted by some renaissance artist and hung in the Louvre. They depict scenes of Mithras wrestling a bull and such, wearing his infamous and brightly red “papa smurf” cap.

There are many people in the cave, though all are male and only one of them is actually wearing such a smurf hat – the one standing in front of them and addressing them. He tells them of the true meaning of the cap he is wearing and the true meaning of Mithra’s victory over the bull and the true meaning of all their many ancient symbols, so venerated by them. He is interrupted by an agitator.

What you are telling us are but fairy tales, old man. Used to scare little children into obedience. Do you really expect us to believe that Cronus, the father of all gods and of time itself would really be nothing more than a planet? The very notion is blasphemy!

I didn’t say that, the old man interrupts him. If anything it should make us appreciate Zeus’s victory more and should make us glorify him more.

Zeus’s victory? But even if what you say is true, then isn’t Cronus clearly the superior god? Today is December 25. Are you suggesting all the sacrifices we made onto him leading up to today mean nothing? Does he not reward our gifts with gifts of his own? Does he not prolong the life of those sacrificing the life of their first born?

No, all I am saying is that the documented historical evidence clearly tells us that such sacrifices weren’t necessarily meant to be taken literal...

Purity_Lake
Github: PurityLake
Discord: boethiah

Re: Horror VN looking for team [Open] [Free - but still willing to pay a tiny bit]

#2 Post by Purity_Lake »

Hello, I would love to help out with your project! I am a programmer, software developer by profession, but I dabble in game development and know some Ren'Py. Feel free to DM me on here if you are interested in me helping out.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Re: Horror VN looking for team [Open] [Free - but still willing to pay a tiny bit]

#3 Post by Der Tor »

Have a look at the game and at the other post to see what I have done so far: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=66925

Purity_Lake
Github: PurityLake
Discord: boethiah

#4 Post by Purity_Lake »

Der Tor wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:00 am Have a look at the game and at the other post to see what I have done so far: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=66925
Hey, I’m unsure if my DM sent, says it’s in outbox so I’d assume not.

I do like what you have so far, a gripe or two, but I think it is very promising. Great atmosphere, good writing. Would love to provide my assistance if you would accept it.

If you choose to accept my assistance, the payment you mentioned in the original post, I will wave it depending on how long the project takes. All I ask for is credit and to allow me to link to the finished product on my itch.io page as part of a portfolio.

I look forward to hearing your response.

Tremarl
Soundcloud: Tremarl
itch: Tremarl
Discord: Kipper#1461

#5 Post by Tremarl »

If you have any need for a Composer then I'd be very interested, as really like the dark atmosphere and art style ^__^