certain sounds not triggering on web playthrough - resolved

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ChiCityFog
Completed: Andy & Rob Presents!: A Brave New World
Projects: Andy & Rob Presents!: A Halloween Special
itch: andyrobpresents

certain sounds not triggering on web playthrough - resolved

#1 Post by ChiCityFog »

Hello!
I need help guys. I spent 8 months learning a this modified python coding and finally released my first VN! That's the fun bit. It works fine when downloaded for pc or mac, no issues there. The problem I have is the web play presentation is jank on itch.io, specifically the way sounds are triggered. Basically, the "play music" commands work fine and fire when they're supposed to, but the "play sound" commands appear to trigger whenever they want, usually not at all, unless I "rollback" with the mouse and do the section again. Then, they fire 100% of the time. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong, because again, this works fine when you download the game. I don't know if this is a problem only I'm having? Is it a problem with itch.io? It's bizarre. I don't even know what code block to send as an example, they're all doing it when you use that syntax. It's really aggravating because most people want to play these VN's via the online play method it seems, and forcing people to download my game just so they can experience the sounds I slaved over seems super weak and it's limiting my distribution. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Last edited by ChiCityFog on Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiCityFog

Re: certain sounds not triggering on web playthrough

#2 Post by ChiCityFog »

Oh, and as an aside, I've tested this on 4 different browsers, they all mess up in precisely the same way, so it's an issue somehow with the way itch.io's native player is interacting with the files I'm sending... I just don't know how or in what way.

ChiCityFog

Re: certain sounds not triggering on web playthrough - resolved

#3 Post by ChiCityFog »

Figured it out, I was just using an outdated version of Ren'py.