Replies, Views, Downloads...[Q?]

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
BlackjagX
Organization: Blackjag Productions
itch: blackjagx

Replies, Views, Downloads...[Q?]

#1 Post by BlackjagX »

I was looking through my control panel and noticed something i didn't understand.

I'd posted a pic last year, a 'Merry Christmas' card.
1 reply [Thanks Fleet]
2000 downloads

So I'm trying to figure out the downloads to views ratio.
Is it that some are downloading many times?
Or are there silent viewers who don't register on the view tally.

No dramas...
Just curious as to how Lemma soft works.

Thanks

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Re: Replies, Views, Downloads...[Q?]

#2 Post by Fuseblower »

If you hover the mouse over the image then it shows the view count for that image and it should be the same as the download count as reported in the user control panel. The view count of the image is not necessarily the same as the view count of the post itself in which the attachment is placed.

I tried out using the url to one of my own images (not the post containing the image but the image itself) and launched it in another browser on a different computer with a cleared browser cache. It didn't increase the view or download count. That makes somewhat sense since it's handled by the PHP server which apparantly doesn't bother to inform the forum software of the download :)

The only thing I can think of that causes the discrepancy is if there's another post on this forum that also uses that image.

As for the "silent viewers" (the ones that aren't logged in) : they do count towards the view count so it isn't that. I only log in if I'm answering posts but I do see the view count increase of the threads I'm visiting even when I'm not logged in.

BlackjagX
Organization: Blackjag Productions
itch: blackjagx

Re: Replies, Views, Downloads...[Q?]

#3 Post by BlackjagX »

Fuseblower wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:45 pm If you hover the mouse over the image then it shows the view count for that image and it should be the same as the download count as reported in the user control panel. The view count of the image is not necessarily the same as the view count of the post itself in which the attachment is placed.

I tried out using the url to one of my own images (not the post containing the image but the image itself) and launched it in another browser on a different computer with a cleared browser cache. It didn't increase the view or download count. That makes somewhat sense since it's handled by the PHP server which apparantly doesn't bother to inform the forum software of the download :)

The only thing I can think of that causes the discrepancy is if there's another post on this forum that also uses that image.

As for the "silent viewers" (the ones that aren't logged in) : they do count towards the view count so it isn't that. I only log in if I'm answering posts but I do see the view count increase of the threads I'm visiting even when I'm not logged in.
Ok. Thanks for the explanation.
That makes sense.

I was thinking too that maybe there was an external link on another site that links back to the image only, not the post itself.
Either way it's fine.
Maybe I should go into the greeting card business and get a dollar for each download...haha.

Cheers