[Request?] Aspect Ratio and Screen Layout changing based on selected mobile orientation

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

[Request?] Aspect Ratio and Screen Layout changing based on selected mobile orientation

#1 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Not sure where to ask this, so I'm going to put it here for now...

Basically, I have a few games that I've made in Ren'Py for Android devices that I've tried to allow for having different screen layouts based on the preferred orientation. However, right now the only way to swap between the portrait and landscape layouts involves changing a configuration setting and forcing the game to shut down so that it will use expected screen resolution on the next boot-up.

This may not be possible (without way too much refactoring), but is there a way to change the resolution after the initial [gui.init(x,y)]? Or maybe to rotate the canvas used to display the graphics 90 degrees to one side? If not, is there any potential for getting a feature in a future update that would allow changing the layout/aspect ratio without closing the game?

(Ideally I'd like to implement this in a way that the player can choose which orientation to use from within the game, since I personally lock the orientation of my phone unless absolutely necessary and thus don't make use of the RAPT setting to have the game switch orientation based on the phone's current orientation. However, if it will never be possible to make a player toggle for this, I'd also be curious if there's a way I could try to code around the phone-dependant orientation setting.)
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series