Android Build Keeps Crashing on Android 13

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
limpciabatta

Android Build Keeps Crashing on Android 13

#1 Post by limpciabatta »

I've managed to build an Android version of the VN I'm developing, and while Ren'Py's emulation function is giving me no issues, the app I've built keeps crashing on the Android device I'm using for testing:
  • I'm using Ren'Py 8.13 on a Windows 11 PC for development
  • I generated the Android build using Universal APK
  • I generated the .apk package and saved it to a Google drive folder
  • For testing, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite running Android 13
  • I accessed the Google drive folder on the Samsung Galaxy Tab and downloaded the .apk package to my files
  • I then installed the .apk package to install Renpy/the VN on the device
  • I then opened the installed VN app
  • The problem: I get stuck on the main menu of the game, and it keeps "jumping around on the screen", as if trying to re-size and accommodate the device's UI. The audio for the main menu music also glitches in and out, and the touchscreen is not responsive. This behavior lasts for about 30 seconds before the app crashes completely, the screen goes black, and then I'm returned to my device's home screen.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Or does anyone know of a solution/workaround for it?

Thanks very much in advance!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Android Build Keeps Crashing on Android 13

#2 Post by PyTom »

There's a fix for this issue coming in 8.2, probably. (Certainly, a workaround for a crash on the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite running Android 13.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom