Renpy games not booting up

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Exiscoming
Regular

Renpy games not booting up

#1 Post by Exiscoming »

I've had this issue for years now. A player plays the game, closes it and comes back the next day only for the .exe to not boot up the game anymore.
I made a thread about it back in 2021 and eventually did find a solution, but it requires players to go into their appdata.

Here's that thread:
viewtopic.php?p=541706#p541706

It seems to be an extremely rare bug, but still significant enough that I get a report on it about once a month.
Is anyone else experiencing anything like this or has a possible fix to prevent this from happening?

Log:

Code: Select all

Tue Dec 26 01:14:47 2023
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.5.0.22062402

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.06s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.16s
Loading error handling took 0.06s
Loading script took 0.76s

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Renpy games not booting up

#2 Post by m_from_space »

Exiscoming wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:27 am I've had this issue for years now. A player plays the game, closes it and comes back the next day only for the .exe to not boot up the game anymore.
I made a thread about it back in 2021 and eventually did find a solution, but it requires players to go into their appdata.
Since you're not including any error message, I suspect that you won't get an answer here. Just because somebody cannot start their game - especially if you say it's very rare - doesn't mean it's a bug. Maybe the player's PC has problems, RAM is faulty, CPU is overheated, the harddisk has problems. You name it. So where is the error message? What does the log.txt or traceback.txt inside the game folder of those people say?

Exiscoming
Regular

#3 Post by Exiscoming »

m_from_space wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:13 am
Exiscoming wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:27 am I've had this issue for years now. A player plays the game, closes it and comes back the next day only for the .exe to not boot up the game anymore.
Since you're not including any error message, I suspect that you won't get an answer here. Just because somebody cannot start their game - especially if you say it's very rare - doesn't mean it's a bug. Maybe the player's PC has problems, RAM is faulty, CPU is overheated, the harddisk has problems. You name it. So where is the error message? What does the log.txt or traceback.txt inside the game folder of those people say?
That's the problem. There is no error message. You click the exe and then... nothing happens. It's a rare issue, but I get a report at least once a month of someone who runs into it, so it's common enough to be cause for concern. The persistent file inside of %appdata% seems to cause the problem, cause if you delete it, the game will boot up again like nothing's wrong.

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by m_from_space »

Exiscoming wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 am There is no error message.
Please ask those people to post the contents of the log.txt file that you find inside the game's folder. It contains information on Renpy starting up.

Exiscoming
Regular

#5 Post by Exiscoming »

m_from_space wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:59 am
Exiscoming wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 am There is no error message.
Please ask those people to post the contents of the log.txt file that you find inside the game's folder. It contains information on Renpy starting up.
Hi again, I asked and this is the only thing it says:

Code: Select all

Tue Dec 26 01:14:47 2023
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.5.0.22062402

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.06s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.16s
Loading error handling took 0.06s
Loading script took 0.76s

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by m_from_space »

Exiscoming wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:42 am Hi again, I asked and this is the only thing it says:
That's what it says when Renpy is actually NOT starting? (Because Renpy overwrites this file every time you start it again, so if it's working right now, since the person deleted the persistent file, it's not informative).

Exiscoming
Regular

#7 Post by Exiscoming »

m_from_space wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:25 am
Exiscoming wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:42 am Hi again, I asked and this is the only thing it says:
That's what it says when Renpy is actually NOT starting? (Because Renpy overwrites this file every time you start it again, so if it's working right now, since the person deleted the persistent file, it's not informative).
Sorry for the slow reply, got sick. This is the info when the game is NOT starting. The person in question didn't know how to get into his %appdata% so ended up having to stop playing my game because it wouldn't boot up.