How to "force" tablet version on phones?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Gachapen

How to "force" tablet version on phones?

#1 Post by Gachapen »

Currently the tablet version of my project is basically a clone of the pc version minus the quick menu. The phone version uses a lot of default assets and would require a lot of work to port. Is there a way to make all android devices use the tablet version even if its a phone?

syansyeru
Github: Syansyaru

Re: How to "force" tablet version on phones?

#2 Post by syansyeru »

Gachapen wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:23 am Currently the tablet version of my project is basically a clone of the pc version minus the quick menu. The phone version uses a lot of default assets and would require a lot of work to port. Is there a way to make all android devices use the tablet version even if its a phone?
Unfortunately (due to some limitations or, whatever) you are unable to create games using Ren'py on the android version of the downloadable app. Whatever "tablet" version you're using, probably won't port to mobile. See the documentation here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/android. ... %20devices.

Gachapen

#3 Post by Gachapen »

syansyeru wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:56 am
Gachapen wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:23 am Currently the tablet version of my project is basically a clone of the pc version minus the quick menu. The phone version uses a lot of default assets and would require a lot of work to port. Is there a way to make all android devices use the tablet version even if its a phone?
Unfortunately (due to some limitations or, whatever) you are unable to create games using Ren'py on the android version of the downloadable app. Whatever "tablet" version you're using, probably won't port to mobile. See the documentation here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/android. ... %20devices.
I am referring to the android emulation feature. Emulating a tablet is flawless, but emulating a phone, everything is default. Generating an android package only produces 1 apk, which I assume the android device reads, and then runs depending on its type? My question is, is it possible for all android devices that run the apk, to use the settings when testing "tablet" in the renpy emulator. Basically I want all android devices to somehow use "tablet" settings and not "phone"settings"

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#4 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

It sounds like you'll want to look into changing the screen variants for your screens and their styles: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens. ... n-variants

Basically, the default UI is split between the default and the "small" variant. Most phones (including the emulator within Ren'Py) will try to use the "small" or "medium" variants, based on their screen size. From the sound of things, you're looking to make most of the game all one layout, with a few specific things for mobile devices. In that case, you'll want to go through all the [variant "small"] stuff in your screens and either remove them or replace them with the "mobile" variant.

It might end up being a bit more complicated than that, but that's the easiest way I can think of to do what you described so far. Check out the link above for more information on how screen variants actually work and which are defined.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series