How to use textbeeps without compromising user experience?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jepp21
Regular

How to use textbeeps without compromising user experience?

#1 Post by jepp21 »

Hi all. I've been using text beeps in my game, but I'd like them to stop during pauses in dialogue like commas and periods. Normally, they stop just fine if I'm using a wait tag, but instead I have to use a cps tag like this:

Code: Select all

an "Test.{cps=3} test."
The reason I'm not using the wait tag is because it triggers a slow_done callback every time it's used, meaning the player has to press space an extra time for every wait tag shown in the same string of dialogue.
I've been using the cps tag to avoid this, but now the issue is that the beeps still play when I want it to be quiet for a moment when there's punctuation. Is there a way I can use text beeps without compromising user experience?

The beeps are implemented like this:

Code: Select all

def high_beep(event, **kwargs):
        if event == "show":
            renpy.music.play("audio/voice/femvoice.wav", channel="sound", loop=True)
        elif event == "slow_done" or event == "end":
            renpy.music.stop(channel="sound")