[OPEN] [PAID] Writing, Editing, and Proofreading [Fiction/Nonfiction OK]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
RizVN
Regular
Completed: "Love is War (Remake)", "Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota", "Vampire Hunter", "How to Win Girls and Influence People", "Hayase Yuuka Love is War [Blue Archive Fangame]"
Projects: "DELIIDOL"
itch: rizvn

[OPEN] [PAID] Writing, Editing, and Proofreading [Fiction/Nonfiction OK]

#1 Post by RizVN »

My writing samples can be found here or from my Visual Novels at RizVN.itch.io:
  1. Romantic Comedy 1
  2. Romantic Comedy 2
  3. Romance 1
  4. Drama-Comedy
  5. Fantasy
About Me

I started writing as a hobby in 2013 (age 13). It all started with writing diaries, tutorial blog posts, and using stories to make things interesting to me and the readers. But then I fell into the rabbit hole of anime/manga/eastern novels (VN, WN, LN) (mainly from Japan, Korea, and China). Then, I began to write fictional stories on Wattpad and many other platforms. At this time, my writing was absolutely dismal and embarrassing.

In 2017, I signed my 1st book contract with a small publisher. I tried to do many things besides that as time passed, from programming to graphic design. And in 2023, I finally decided to combine my skillsets and become a visual novel game developer.

I released seven visual novels on itch.io from September to December 2023 alone. All seven are unique in writing and genre, which was done to develop my skills rapidly. Thanks to that and lots of reading, I can now create VNs in several genres (fantasy, horror, romance, comedy, drama).
I've gone by various pseudonyms over the years. My current credit is "FebyA"—a simple abbreviation of my real name.

I'd say my biggest strengths are:
  • I have released 7 Visual Novels as a solo developer.
  • Simple, straightforward writing.
  • A passion for characterization, especially when shown through natural dialogue and actions.
  • Experience with a wide variety of writing styles (e.g., dialogue/monologue/narration, descriptive scenes for critical moments, other forms of "flavor text," web novels, light novels, blog posts, about pages, and developer updates, to name a few!)
  • High familiarity and experience with different genres' conventions and tropes.
  • A keen eye for detail and a desire to ensure scripts are error-free.
  • Open-mindedness to feedback and a desire for self-improvement.
Summary:
  • Has been writing as a hobby since 2013.
  • Has released 7 Visual Novels as RizVN.
  • Credited as FebyA.
  • Very passionate and experienced, often looking to improve the work, the writers working on it, and himself.

Turnaround Time & Content

I currently only accept commissions for three types of editing at once (copy, line, and mechanical editing). Unless you specify otherwise, I will edit the texts in casual writing, commonly used in visual novels. I can edit up to 5k words in 1 day, but sometimes, life happens. So, I'd like to add an extra day buffer for every 10k words and ask for a minimum of 3 days to work on texts of any length.

For example:
  1. If you have a text with 50k words, expect it to be done in 3x5 or 15 days.
  2. For 15k words, expect 3+1 days.
  3. For 10k words or less, expect three days.
For writing, it will take a lot longer. If I write for myself, I can write 1-6k words per day just fine. But it might be slower when writing for you. So, to avoid delays and undesirable results, please be clear about your initial requests. If you have a particular scene, emotion, outline, or ending in mind, then tell me too. It doesn't have to be detailed, but you have to communicate your vision. Otherwise, I might not even accept the job.

After we agree on the details, you can expect me to deliver around 30k words in 30 days. I will try to be as fast as possible and give more, but again, due to variables in life, that might not happen. I kindly ask for your understanding and a 3-day minimum to complete your writing request.

That said, the commission type and length will also factor in.

As far as content is concerned, my limits are explicit sexual content, LGBTQ+ (Yaoi or Yuri), and religions (fictional or otherwise). I am OK with anything else, as far as I can tell. I have no issues with violence, gore, loli / shota, yandere, cursing, dark themes, or drug/alcohol use or abuse in particular. If you are curious about something, please feel free to ask me!
Another thing is that I only have a little experience with Boys' Love (Otome). I'm still happy to do them, but I may need more feedback and refinement than other types of material.

Summary:
  • Turnaround time varies, but expect a 3-day minimum.
  • No explicit sexual content, LGBTQ+ (Yaoi or Yuri), and religions (fictional or otherwise).
  • Most experienced with romance, comedy, fantasy (and subgenres), and action.
  • Limited experience with topics like Boys Love / Otome.

Services

Writing:
  • Outlining and discussion (I prefer having an outline from you to work from, if possible)
  • Research on relevant topics (if needed)
  • Writing in Notepad++, Google Docs, or LibreOffice Writer.
  • Adding basic Ren'Py formatting (dialogue tags and more as requested) or similar formatting (if necessary).
  • Free editing (to my writing only).
  • Additional requests as needed.
Editing:
  • Simplify writings and improve readability.
  • Trimming, tweaking, and rewriting dialogue to be more natural.
  • Improving word choice.
  • Fixing spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanical errors.
  • Better narrations.
  • Add or remove dialogue to further bolster characterization and pacing.
  • Giving feedback (positive and negative critique) on the script (if necessary).
  • Additional consultation as needed.
  • In short, I do three major edits: copy, line, and mechanical.

Pricing

If the rates seem high, please consider the following:
  • It is negotiable.
  • It doesn't have to be in one sum (installments are acceptable).
  • A professional writer is often $0.07 or 7c/word, and some even charge $0.12/word. A professional editor is often 4c or more, depending on the type of editing and the content.
For editing, my rate is 2 cents/word USD in whatever material I'm provided (minus any code)—and for writing, it's 5 cents/word. The final amount is rounded to the nearest $5 and paid through Paypal (e.g., $152 = $150; $152.50 = the same; $153 = $155).
I prefer to be paid some up-front. Half is the most common, but I'm highly flexible!

Another thing is that revenue share, royalties, and trades are not a substitute for commission payments. They're great bonuses for my efforts, but only being paid that way is the same as saying, "I'll pay you later for services you're giving now."

Summary:
  • Editing is 2c/word, and writing is 5c/word. These are in USD and rounded to the nearest $5. As a note, 4c/word is a professional rate for an editor; 7c/word is a professional rate for a writer.
  • Pay is through Paypal only.
  • I prefer partial up-front payment but is highly flexible and open to negotiation.
  • Revenue share, royalties, and trades are not an acceptable substitute for standard pay.

Contact Me!

Discord: rizvn_dev
Email: rizvn@protonmail.com
Note that my email and PayPal address are different.

Please get in touch with me through email first and start with "[Editing commission]" or "[Writing commission]" for the subject. Later on, we can talk through Discord if you prefer.

If you are ready to commission me, please tell me the specifics of your request, including:
  • A brief description of your project/links to project pages.
  • A short excerpt from your project (if possible).
  • Estimated word count for your project.
  • And any other details you're willing to share.
Thank you for reading. I hope we can work together soon!
Check out these cute games:
Love is War (Remake) (Romance-comedy)
How to Win Girls and Influence People (Romance-comedy)
DELIIDOL (Romance-drama)
Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota (Romance-drama)