[SOLVED ]Assign SFX to right-click?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
picklejuice

[SOLVED ]Assign SFX to right-click?

#1 Post by picklejuice »

I was just wondering if it were possible to add a sound effect to the right click button- like how when you click the return button and add a sfx to it I want the right-click to make the same sound so all the menus are coherent.

I'm not very experienced with coding so I was going through the documentation trying to make up something and this is what I came up with. (Obviously doesn't work but I guess it's a good visual of what I'm trying to do.)

(I did these sections of code separately from each other, not at the same time)

screen keymap_screen():
key ['mouseup_3'] action [activate_sound] "sfx/menuout.ogg"

init python:
config.keymap['game_menu'].append('mouseup_3'):
activate_sound "sfx/menuout.ogg"

Ideally when you right-click in game and it takes you to the save menu it would make a different sound effect then if you right-clicked too dismiss a menu- But I don't know if this is even possible in general. If it is but too advanced I'll give up on it though. If anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it!
Last edited by picklejuice on Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Assign SFX to right-click?

#2 Post by m_from_space »

picklejuice wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:13 am I was just wondering if it were possible to add a sound effect to the right click button- like how when you click the return button and add a sfx to it I want the right-click to make the same sound so all the menus are coherent.
So you have to add the click-event to the game_menu screen as part of <screens.rpy>. Make sure to use the "mousedown_3" event, not "mouseup_3".
Ideally when you right-click in game and it takes you to the save menu it would make a different sound effect then if you right-clicked too dismiss a menu- But I don't know if this is even possible in general.
That's a different story. When in a game and doing a right-click, you either can catch that event with your own screen or just use a special screen event using "on".

Here is what covers both of your ideas:

Code: Select all

screen game_menu(title, scroll=None, yinitial=0.0):

# play a sound when doing a right-click inside the game menu
    key "mousedown_3" action Play("audio", "sfx/menuout.ogg")

# play a different sound when we enter the game menu from within a game
    if not main_menu:
        on "show" action Play("audio", "sfx/othersound.ogg")

# rest of the screen
/edit
I misread your second wish, you wanted a different sound when dismissing the menu while in the game, not when showing the menu. So here is the code:

Code: Select all

screen game_menu(title, scroll=None, yinitial=0.0):

if main_menu:
        # play a sound when doing a right-click inside the game menu, when inside the main menu
        key "mousedown_3" action Play("audio", "sfx/menuout.ogg")
    else:
        # play a different sound when doing a right-click inside the game menu, when inside a game
        key "mousedown_3" action Play("audio", "sfx/othersound.ogg")

# rest of the screen

picklejuice

Re: Assign SFX to right-click?

#3 Post by picklejuice »

Omg it worked!! Thank you so much!! I was really losing my mind over this lol!!