How do I change the text size and position with each scene?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
withtheknife
itch: indentation

How do I change the text size and position with each scene?

#1 Post by withtheknife »

I'm going for a more distinct style that wouldn't work with a single kind of text.

Here's an example.

You see how the text changed position and size? How do I do that for each scene?

EDIT: An idea came to me. Could I define several characters as "none", determine a different x,y locations for them and use them according to each scene?

So "i sure love not getting hit by an anvil" is a line from character k and "my boy" is from character c, each with their own x,y variables. Would that work? If so, how do I set that up?

I'm not familiar with renpy and I never coded in my entire life :^D

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: How do I change the text size and position with each scene?

#2 Post by m_from_space »

withtheknife wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:34 pm EDIT: An idea came to me. Could I define several characters as "none", determine a different x,y locations for them and use them according to each scene?

So "i sure love not getting hit by an anvil" is a line from character k and "my boy" is from character c, each with their own x,y variables. Would that work? If so, how do I set that up?
You don't need any characters for what you're asking for. I mean the text in the first picture doesn't have to be normal dialogue, it can just be a text you display using the "show text" keywords, same for the second picture. Different sized "characters" in your example are just different images that you show for each scene.
Well, then I advice you to do very basic stuff. Run the Renpy tutorial from the launcher and learn about showing images, showing text or dialogue and the basic game flow. When you never coded anything, just create a new project in Renpy and make some changes to see the effects.

And here is your most important link, the Renpy documentation: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/

jeffster
Veteran

#3 Post by jeffster »

Since Ren'Py 8.1 you can use speech bubbles:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/bubble.html

I didn't try them myself, but maybe the are what you need.

withtheknife

#4 Post by withtheknife »

m_from_space wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:54 am
withtheknife wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:34 pm EDIT: An idea came to me. Could I define several characters as "none", determine a different x,y locations for them and use them according to each scene?

You don't need any characters for what you're asking for. I mean the text in the first picture doesn't have to be normal dialogue, it can just be a text you display using the "show text" keywords, same for the second picture. Different sized "characters" in your example are just different images that you show for each scene.
Well, then I advice you to do very basic stuff. Run the Renpy tutorial from the launcher and learn about showing images, showing text or dialogue and the basic game flow. When you never coded anything, just create a new project in Renpy and make some changes to see the effects.

And here is your most important link, the Renpy documentation: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/
Thank you! I've watched a few tutorials and learned the basics, I guess I was being hyperbolic.
I realized that I'll most likely have to use .png images as text, considering what I want to do.

I think I didn't explain it clearly. I won't be using any character sprites, only background images. How, exactly, do I change position and size with "show text"?

And thank you for the reply.

withtheknife

#5 Post by withtheknife »

jeffster wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:59 am Since Ren'Py 8.1 you can use speech bubbles:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/bubble.html

I didn't try them myself, but maybe the are what you need.
Seems useful. Thanks.