Speech bubble padding

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RewindTheGame
Regular

Speech bubble padding

#1 Post by RewindTheGame »

Hi all,

I'm just starting to convert the dialogue text in my game to the new(ish) speech bubble system, and would like to know how to change the padding within the bubbles themselves. I'm having a lot of trouble with this and nothing seems to work.

Basically, I consider the space between my text and the top/bottom of the bubble to be ridiculously massive and would rather there was hardly any padding at all - but I can't work out how to reduce this. I'm probably missing something really obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Simon

jeffster
Veteran

Re: Speech bubble padding

#2 Post by jeffster »

RewindTheGame wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 am Hi all,

I'm just starting to convert the dialogue text in my game to the new(ish) speech bubble system, and would like to know how to change the padding within the bubbles themselves. I'm having a lot of trouble with this and nothing seems to work.

Basically, I consider the space between my text and the top/bottom of the bubble to be ridiculously massive and would rather there was hardly any padding at all - but I can't work out how to reduce this. I'm probably missing something really obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Simon
Open screens.rpy file and search for "bubble". See their "properties" etc.

RewindTheGame
Regular

#3 Post by RewindTheGame »

Thanks, but I don't know which property to change and there doesn't seem to be one for padding anyway. The only properties I can see are for top left, bottom right, etc - and they are presumably concerned with the transformation of the bubble itself according to where the trail is.

jeffster
Veteran

#4 Post by jeffster »

RewindTheGame wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:26 am Thanks, but I don't know which property to change and there doesn't seem to be one for padding anyway. The only properties I can see are for top left, bottom right, etc - and they are presumably concerned with the transformation of the bubble itself according to where the trail is.
Ah, you are right. To set the bubble size you start the game and when the dialog bubble is on screen, press Shift-B and click "area" to set its size.
https://renpy.org/doc/html/bubble.html

RewindTheGame
Regular

#5 Post by RewindTheGame »

Thanks Jeffster,

That's what I was doing, but for some reason it hadn't occurred to me that the padding would automatically size according to the size of the bubble. Duh. I just assumed it would be fixed.

Having said that, I've had to change the granularity (interesting use of that word, there) of the sizing grid in order to get the bubbles where I want them.

Thanks again.