Make the elements fade in individually?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dominicelliott

Make the elements fade in individually?

#1 Post by dominicelliott »

Hi everybody

My question is, how do I manipulate the individual assets on my main menu screen so that the character images and titles on them fade out, like in many visual novels?

I'm new, thank you in advance!

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Make the elements fade in individually?

#2 Post by m_from_space »

dominicelliott wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:44 am My question is, how do I manipulate the individual assets on my main menu screen so that the character images and titles on them fade out, like in many visual novels?
I'm not sure what you mean by character images and titles inside the main menu, since by default there are no character images in the main menu. But making things fade in or out in Renpy is pretty easy.

For every element like buttons or images that are part of screens, you can create transforms and apply them individually.

For the whole main menu and other game menus (like preferences), there are different config variables setting transition effects. Just set them to something like "fade" or "dissolve".

Code: Select all

# If not None, a transition that is used when returning to the main menu from the game menu, using the MainMenu() action.
define config.game_main_transition = None

# The transition that is used between screens of the game and main menu. (That is, when the screen is changed with ShowMenu().)
define config.intra_transition = None