RockRobin - Band Manager (Demo)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: RockRobin - Band Manager (New Demo)

#541 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Aleema Yeah ^^" I did it but no one else had posted and I felt bad for double posting and I was too impatient to wait until someone posted... Anyway, if you are using it as a desktop, do you want me to send you a better version? I got a 3508x1950 one which is probably better than a pixelated 1000x556 one ^^'

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#542 Post by Aleema »

I need you guys' opinion really quick. My sis just showed me how to adjust my monitor's brightness to even higher using my video card, because, with my group's help, we've discovered I have a brightness/contrast problem ... mainly, that my screen is too dark.

So, with my contrast temporarily higher, I'm altering sprites that clearly look washed out or bad at different levels. Mostly the dark clothed/skinned/haired people. Please let me know if this is better or more comfortable lighting (if not, then I know that my point of reference for fixing my brightness is too bright [my sister's laptop]):
If these are TOO DARK or something else icky (other than just "oh that's new"), could someone could please adjust the darkness/brightness of one of the characters so I can see what I should aim for? This contrast thing is driving me up the wall. This art looks significantly different in different contrasts, apparently. (When I saw Collin on my sis' laptop, I was like WTF THAT'S NOT COLLIN)

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#543 Post by Pyonkotchi »

Yeah. I personally think it looks better with the contrasts fixed :D
the colours pop a bit more
Last edited by Pyonkotchi on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gryphbear
Regular

#544 Post by Gryphbear »

*ponders* The ones on the right DO look more vibrant. The first one looks better as a darker-black haired girl. otherwise she looks like she's getting grey. ;)
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#545 Post by babyfish »

I set my monitor pretty dark, but these new sprites look just fine regardless. In fact, the ones on the left do look a bit washed out.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#546 Post by Aleema »

Oh, okay, so I didn't do whatever "blowing them out" is in reverse. I just checked these images on my sis's laptop and there was barely a difference. It looks like I'm a pretentious artist going "oooh, they're sooo different", but really, on the settings I have now, they look significantly different. So I just hate life right now.

But at least I'm moving in the RIGHT direction. I'm afraid of darkening them anymore, because right now, the girl's hair is bordering on pure black (my monitor itself may be too dark, not just my video card settings).

And yes, Claudette does look like she's old and grey. O_O Glad I caught this before the game was done. Time to go fix other sprites.

Please, if you guys notice anything else washed out for this game, you are doing me a favor by telling me!

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#547 Post by babyfish »

That's sort of the problem with graphics - people have different monitors, and also set their monitors differently. I find that what may appear great on one monitor may be hideous on another, and two sprites with slightly adjusted brightness/contrast settings may have no difference at all. Especially when it comes to gamma and brightness, the key seems to be to find some sort of middle ground that will suit most or all monitors(with relatively normal settings, of course)
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

SyphyChan
Veteran
Projects: Syphethia's Discoveries

#548 Post by SyphyChan »

Damn this is amazing. I'm totally in love with it. It's definitely my kind of game! Really looking forward to it. Any idea around when it'll be done?

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#549 Post by Elze »

I hope I'm not making this hard for you but I actually prefer her grey sprite. D:
The black hair one hardly has any shading on her hair, at least not on my mac screen.
But I prefer Collin's sprite on the right.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#550 Post by Aleema »

vnluver wrote:Damn this is amazing. I'm totally in love with it. It's definitely my kind of game! Really looking forward to it. Any idea around when it'll be done?
Thank you very much! Your support is very well received! :)
Story Mode is almost done, but Open Mode is not. So ... no idea!!
Elze wrote:I hope I'm not making this hard for you but I actually prefer her grey sprite. D:
The black hair one hardly has any shading on her hair, at least not on my mac screen.
But I prefer Collin's sprite on the right.
I see what you're saying, and I had the same problem with Seth's sprite. My uber light shading wasn't in context for me making it darker. I will find her existing highlights (and the other dark-haired sprites) and lighten them.

Celestine
Veteran

#551 Post by Celestine »

It really defines the small details to, like how you can see in her ponytail. And the eyes.
If that helps.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#552 Post by Camille »

Ok so I've had the demo for this sitting on my desktop for a while but didn't have time to play it... I had some downtime yesterday so I opened it up and ahhh so addicting! The first time, I sped through the instructions and didn't realize that card game was there during the gigs. I hadn't saved, so I started my game over and from then on, saved just before gigs so I could re-do them over and over to get more points... /perfectionist...

That aside, I really like the presentation of everything and all the characters. I'm actually really excited to see what happens to Sterling at the end... I don't know, in stories with similar themes, I always find myself drawn to the "bad guy" character that broke the heroine's heart. I want to see if they change, if they're really douchebags or actually had a reason for what they were doing. Of course, I'm excited to see how things work out with Dallas and whatnot, too. owo

If you're still accepting donations, I'd like to toss some dollars in there next paycheck I get? I can't wait to see this completed. *_*

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#553 Post by Aleema »

Thanks for giving us a try. :) Sorry about the surprise mini-game. xD I'll try to make that more clear. I usually have a villain thing, too. Like, in Disney movies. xD I can't help it that they have the best songs!

Yes, I'm still accepting donations ... Wow, thank you. ;_; We'd all give you big fat kiss if we could. Sames goes to all donors: YOU ALL GET BIG FAT VIRTUAL KISSES!

In other news, I'm recording Seth's "teaser" video now.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#554 Post by Snowflower »

I need to fix my card issue :/
so that I can donate at least a little bit so that you'll continue the amazing games :D

I'm super excited!! SETH!!!!

& I too am a sucker for Disney, and all its villain songs (cruella de vile? gaston? XD )
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Einherjar

#555 Post by Einherjar »

I agree that this game is super addicting, and I'm really excited for the full game. I want to try to donate some money too. Might have to wait until after I replace my phone, though. xD