Anime is dying, ㅋㅋ..

For the rest of your otaku life.
blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

Re: Anime is dying, ㅋㅋ..

#16 Post by blankd »

There were still terrible ones in the 90s, 99% of anything in a certain medium sucks, it's a rule of thumb and if you think otherwise you're in denial. And yes high school animes and moe are incredibly popular because it is what sells, if you want to change that you have to change supply and demand. Don't forget the business part of it.

Now for your terribly weak excuse of a comparison to how anime is failing and then you list a GAME.
Lunethex wrote: It's like what happened with Atlus, how Persona 1 and 2 were awesome, hardcore JRPGs, but after that, Persona 3, 4 and 5 are just dating sims, oh god.
1. Persona 5 isn't out and won't be for quite some while, there isn't even a scrap of promotions for it yet.

2. You sound woefully ignorant of the OTHER RPGs Atlus makes. Strange Journey is your awesome and hardcore game, it came out in the last month or so and is (as far as I know) their most recent produced game. It has about as much dating sim as it does high school children, which would be NONE. It also takes place in Antarctica with an international military cast.
Last edited by blankd on Mon May 03, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lunethex
Regular

#17 Post by Lunethex »

Strange Journey is hardcore? When?

Atlus just took the Etrian Odyssey engine, slapped some megaten enemies into it and repackaged it. I'm a heavy Megaten fan and even I passed it up. They used the exact same engine as Etrian Odyssey. It's like an RPGMaker game where someone just swapped sprites and did it over.

If you want hardcore, you ought to play Resonance of Fate.

And then maybe you'll come back when you're less ignorant.

blankd
Veteran

#18 Post by blankd »

Lunethex wrote:Strange Journey is hardcore? When?

Atlus just took the Etrian Odyssey engine, slapped some megaten enemies into it and repackaged it. I'm a heavy Megaten fan and even I passed it up. They used the exact same engine as Etrian Odyssey. It's like an RPGMaker game where someone just swapped sprites and did it over.

If you want hardcore, you ought to play Resonance of Fate.

And then maybe you'll come back when you're less ignorant.
I hope when you mean "passed it up" that means you at least humored playing it before setting it down, not just avoided the hell out of it based on appearance. If you did the latter, bwuh?

I say "hardcore" in context of you listing only Persona. The dungeon jump in terms of difficulty from P1 to P2 isn't forward that's for sure. The other reason I listed Strange Journey is because it counters your lament about how once they have a lucrative "casual" formula they will stay cemented to it for the rest of time. Assuming you have played it, even you have to concede that the difficulty is higher than that of P3/P4.

Now if you mean "hardcore" as in not grindy enough then you and I are talking about two completely different things. As for RoF, I need more money before I can spend it, so I can't give a fair evaluation about that.

EDITED TO BE BACK ON TOPIC:

I'm pretty sure there are subs out there for current series that have the same or similar story flavorings as the older generation. Then again the decline in "quality" entertainment seems rampant across the board.

Ren

#19 Post by Ren »

Lunethex wrote:Animators make $3 an hour, they get what they deserve for releasing the same thing over and over again.
Animators are drawers who don't have a say in which direction the story goes, which setting to use or anything like that.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#20 Post by LVUER »

But he's right about animator get paid dirt. Even Japanese animators complain their low wages. I still remember when Japanese governments discussed about the funding of anime/manga museum, and all animators said that rather than building the museum, government concern should be raising their wages.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Shadios
Regular
Projects: Our Hearts, Your Days

#21 Post by Shadios »

I agree with everybody else when i say that anime isn't dying because of the people who download it off the net for free. It's because people might be slowly moving away from the medium thanks to boring shows with predictable plots and somewhat annoying characters.

But i must agree with Aurelia, 4kids fucked up our anime BIG TIME!
Our Hearts, Your Days
A story of love, a story of acceptance and a story of rememberance like no other....
1st Demo Release Date: December 2011/Janurary 2012
Main Release Date: Late 2012

Headache
Regular

#22 Post by Headache »

He means anime is dying because the newer animes do not have good plots as older animes. There are some new anime which are good, but most can't compare to good old animes which have awesome plots.

Lunethex
Regular

#23 Post by Lunethex »

Headache wrote:He means anime is dying because the newer animes do not have good plots as older animes. There are some new anime which are good, but most can't compare to good old animes which have awesome plots.
Look at Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Then look at the anime we have today.

Then you'll think "God damn, look how far it's degenerated."

Evangelion used all those biblical themes, it was fucking awesome at the time, the amount of research that went into the whole thing. And it also had one of the best openings ever.

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#24 Post by linkdragon0 »

So what you're saying is that mind screw makes a good anime?

So that'd make tsubasa resevoir chronicles good? It's okay, not great.

Also they may have used some biblical themes but it was really just a mash up of a bunch of judeo-christian terms. And I think there are some muslim terms too.

It was good, i'lll give it that, it's one of the best. But I hate it when people call Eva "deep" or something like that just because it uses religious terms. And there are still a ton of OPs out there that beat the heck out of EVAs.

But you're right, anime is going because there aren't any good stories. And because stories are dying, but moe is still playing a part, people are blaming it on moe.

Moe is just a character type!!!!! It has nothing to do with the story! Leave moe alone and go yell at the story directors!

Edit: Heck moe is just a character decoration, not even a type. The only reason it's there is because people won't watch anything if it looks like trash, or even just isn't attractive. It's one of the reasons I don't watch western cartoons anymore, that and the stories suck.

If you wanna blame anything blame Bishounen. (Inside joke but maybe some people may get it)
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

Jake
Support Hero

#25 Post by Jake »

linkdragon0 wrote:So what you're saying is that mind screw makes a good anime?
No: requiring or provoking thought is one of the things that can make a good anime. Evangelion provoked thought, and required the viewer to think before they could properly comprehend it, and that made it a lot better than most of the schoolgirl crap that Japan churns out year after year.
linkdragon0 wrote: And there are still a ton of OPs out there that beat the heck out of EVAs.
Absolutely. But I can't think of any from moe series that do, offhand. :P

(Unless Narutaru counts as a moe series? I guess it had schoolgirls in...)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Ren

#26 Post by Ren »

Moe is just a character type!!!
I think you're a bit confused about what moe is, not really because of this last statement, but because it seems to me you keep changing your version (first "we don't need stuff like EVA", then you "didn't say it's bad"...).
Moe should be a feeling that the viewer harbours towards the character, all the character types (feeble, clumsy, dere) that you listed may evoke that feeling, and seem to be the ones that you like the most, but they don't have the exclusive on moe.

Myself, I dislike most of the stuff that has been produced lately, on aesthetic level (Kyoani stuff in particular, but things like the Kanon anime and game are also repulsive for me).

If I could express a wish, I'd like to see more "dirty" stuff like Akio Sugino's (the guy who often worked with Osamu Dezaki). The super clean look that seems to be so popular nowadays is a tad bit overused. Ugly characters/expressions too - I saw the making of of "Blood: the last vampire" movie, and it was quite interesting to see that they made an effort to make the protagonist really show the effort she was making while fighting with contorted expressions on her face, with dirty lines and even veins showing on her face.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It goes without saying: interesting story lines with research behind them and at least a bit of thought provoking bits would make me happy.

blankd
Veteran

#27 Post by blankd »

Well you know what they say about trends, hopefully it will be over with soon (Moe that is).

linkdragon0
Veteran

#28 Post by linkdragon0 »

I actually don't like that art style. The only time I like it is in anime movies.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Wintermoon »

Jake wrote:No: requiring or provoking thought is one of the things that can make a good anime. Evangelion provoked thought, and required the viewer to think before they could properly comprehend it, and that made it a lot better than most of the schoolgirl crap that Japan churns out year after year.
What? It was a random symbolism clusterfuck. It can provoke some mental processes in the same way that looking for hidden messages in newspapers can provoke mental processes, but even Lucky Star had more actual depth than Evangelion.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#30 Post by linkdragon0 »

I'm glad someone gets that the symbolism was all random and didn't mean anything.