How do you create a scene selection menu?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ksotaku100
Regular

How do you create a scene selection menu?

#1 Post by ksotaku100 »

Similar to many other visual novels that have this... and in a separate menu...

pmoys
Projects: Unnamed project - 2%

Re: How do you create a scene selection menu?

#2 Post by pmoys »

I would think you can create a menu and have them jump to different labels.
say, you add a lot of buttons to a menu page, and each of them will jump to a specific label. you just have to make sure you label your scenes, like...
label firstkiss:
(script for this part here)
label happyend:
(script for this part under here)

thats how i would do it. if you want an image to represent each scene, i believe you can make your own thumbnail and place them by using coordinates (x/y positioning. I know its absolute positioning in html, but idk what its called for ren'py) or you could probably make an imagemap. Though Im not familiar with imagemaps in ren'py. I think it involves UI commands, and there might be a few threads here about it already. :3
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... map#p94224

your other menu would just be another label, methinks. If im wrong, i apologize. I haven't even made a game myself yet, so my information may be unreliable.

edit the 95th: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=7247 might be able to use those "unlockables" to apply to the scenes. or the menu itself. :D
Avid Tea Drinker and Knitter