The Aces - GxB vn in progress

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

The Aces - GxB vn in progress

#1 Post by CaesMRaenes »

Hey, this is actually my first WIP thread so handle me with care. ^_~

I am working on a personal project, alongside my main, about a girl who braves the unknown with the help of four heroes / magical boys. Their true identities will not be revealed to you (I will still show you the romanceable boys though), giving you the potential to guess a guy wrong. Mind you, since this is a personal project, release dates will be whenever it's ready to be released since my top priority lies in another project. But I'm keeping on to this idea cuz I like it! <3 Here's a quick summary of it.
Title: The Aces
Type: Visual Novel GxB / RPG
Genre: Fantasy / Romance / Horror
Summary:
In the remaining four Regions of the world, four men called Aces fight to defend the inhabitants from monsters that attack from the Dead Lands, an area of destruction that continuously threatens to engulf the rest of the world. How the Dead Lands came to be is shrouded in mystery as is the beginnings and the identities of the Aces. That is until one girl decided to cross the Dead Lands without any protection to reach her sick mother in the neighboring Region. What she brings as well is a future of hope and the answers the world desired to forget.
Characters:
Elias Hunson (renameable) - a daring woman with a good heart. She cares a lot about her sick mother and will do whatever to keep her healthy and alive. (Passionate, friendly but reckless.)

Ava Hunson - mother of Elias. She's stricken with a disease, called the Touch of End, that would take her body and soul to the Dead Lands when she passes away. (Sweet, loving but emotional.)

Gillian Morez - Elias' friend from her previous place of work. She's a happy girl who tries to keep in touch with people to hear "the latest news." (Energetic, fun but nosy)

Amelia Cortell - new friend of Elias who helps her adjust to the new Region, later assists in taking care of Ava. She's studying to be a psychologist so that she could help the Touched. (Friendly, cheerful but dramatic.)

Romanceable:
The Aces
From left to right: Ace of Clubs**, Hearts, Diamonds, and Spades
**Broken, for design purposes only
****Slightly pixelated for quicker loading

Ace of Clubs - Intelligent, calm but unpredictable, Clubs is the brains of the group and the master of operations. He handles much of what regulates the Region, alongside the government stationed in the northern Region of Nord. He is also the one who holds up the barriers that protect the Regions from the Dead Lands.

Ace of Hearts - Playful, social but a flirt, Hearts is the leader of the group and is the public face of the Aces. He is often seen on television and, due to his frequent appearance, even has his own fanclub. He is responsible for emergencies and anything that the other Aces cannot hold up on their own.

Ace of Diamonds - Friendly, cheerful but emotional, Diamonds is the youngest and fastest in the group. What Diamonds does is regulate the Distributions for each Region and also deliver materials between Regions. He also regulates some of the interregional routes alongside Spades.

Ace of Spades - Strong, protective but aggressive, Spades is the strength and the fist of the Aces. He handles much of the repairs outside of each Region and, with Diamonds, regulates some of the routes. What he is often called for though is the elimination of monsters that crawl in from the Dead Lands.

Other Friends:
Sarah, Yui, Ada, and Meg

Other Characters:
Iris - a great, great grandmother who is also stricken with the Touch of End after her husband died
Momoka - night mailgirl with a passion to run
Theodore - a humble, older man who works as a construction worker
Karol - an older man who works as an accountant at the Vesper Hall

Tentative Features:
- Renameable main character
- Choices that will heavily affect your ending, romances, and your best friends
- Card battle system (when I get around to recruiting a programmer to help)
- Etc.

Progress (Updated August 28 2010):
Story: 90%
Script: 1%
Character Sprites: 5%
CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%
Sounds Effects: 0%
Music: 0%

Any questions or comments are appreciated. Just tell me what you think! I'll be looking for a programmer in the future but, currently, it's not that prevalent. Just throwing that out there. Oh and if anyone wants to see a full design of anyone up there, when I get lots of images drawn, I don't mind. Just give me a holler and I'll get back to it eventually.
Last edited by CaesMRaenes on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TeheRJ
Projects: Her Days and Our Days

Re: The Aces - GxB vn in progress

#2 Post by TeheRJ »

The characters look so nice! I would like read this. Good job so far!

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Riviera »

I like the concept... has a touch of Wonderland to it, with the cards. I'm also a fan of the horror genre, and it's nice to see another renai game with some of that in it. When you say horror, what kind do you mean, though? Blood and guts, psychological, etc? :)

Putting cards in the battle system would be amazing, and would fit the theme too! I'm also hoping that the choices will be in.. even if it's just one or two branches in each path. They help the player feel like they're impacting the world a lot more, and are more involved in the story.

The artwork is nice, I've developed a liking for facial tattoos since I played Dragon Age, and the bright ones on your characters are very striking.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Doggy Nino
Regular
Projects: Crystal Hearts (Discontinued)

#4 Post by Doggy Nino »

Whaaaaaa!!!!!!! SO AMAZING!!!! I love this art and your story!!! Good job and keep up at it!!
"In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs." -Daniel J. Boorstin

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#5 Post by Deji »

This sounds really cool!
Like Riviera said, I like the Wonderland feeling it has, also it gives me a Neverending Story vibe, which is good C:
I like the character designs you've shown so far and how the're related to cards, and that card s will be part of the gameplay... I'm already intrigued to know more of the whole story, independent of the GxB romantic aspect C:

I hope you'll be able to show some progress every now and then, I'll keep an eye on this ^^
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

CaesMRaenes
Regular

#6 Post by CaesMRaenes »

@ TeheRJ:
Thanks! I'm glad the designs turned out, despite how color coordinated they are.

@ Riviera:
Hahaha! Wow. Wonderland? I never actually thought of that. Thinking about it now, it might have a few parts that could feel Wonderland-y. But now to answer your comment part by part.

When I say horror, I mean psychological. There are going to be some deaths of major characters who affect the main character, but the psychology and how the story affects the main character are what will make it into a horror.

The card battle system is still up in the air. Like I said, I'm not quite at a point where I would need a programmer asap. But eventually, it should act like a game of "war" where the larger numbered card would defeat the weaker and the difference would hurt the opponent. And somewhere mixed into that would be the Ace's best attack. Or something like that. It still needs fleshing out but that's the gist of it.

I love Dragon Age. *swoon to Alistair* But this is the first time, I've ever drawn characters with facial tattoo. Man, I'm glad you like them though. *_* And my art too. XD I am happy about that too. Haha!

@ Doggy Nino:
Gawd, I freaking love your enthusiasm. <3 You make me smile, Nino. You make me smile.

@ Deji:
D: *gasp* Thank you so much. I feel so honored, Deji~ <3
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Doggy Nino
Regular
Projects: Crystal Hearts (Discontinued)

#7 Post by Doggy Nino »

Thanks alots! Your art is amazing ,I still just a novice! Continue to work hard hard. I'm supporting you all the way CaesMRaenes. Hey when I post my art for my characters check it out. And read up on my game . Let's give our best shot!
"In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs." -Daniel J. Boorstin

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

It's such a great premise! I am going to bookmark this thread! The card battle system is such a nice system! Can't wait to see how it's implemented!

Aquane
Veteran

#9 Post by Aquane »

Can't wait to play it! the boys look so cool~ the other characters seem so interesting too!

BlueRoseMaidenAras
Regular

#10 Post by BlueRoseMaidenAras »

This looks great! The features sounds awsome! I hope you enjoy making it!!! Hehhe ^-^ V
please join! <3

http://erigot-academy.deviantart.com/

Arasettie+ Jaden= Jadettie
Arasettie + Atticus= Attisettie
Arasettie+ Christopher= Chrisettie
Arasettie+ Gale= Galettie
Christopher+ Elaine= Christaine
Atticus+ Vanessa= Attissa
Emile+ Arasettie= Emisettie
Christopher+ Ariana= Christiana
Atticus+ Eris= Attis
Jaden+ Valentia= Jalentia
Gale+ Nami= Gami
Gale+ Iruzu= Garuzu

Tejan

#11 Post by Tejan »

If you give me some details on the card battle system I can look into finding a way to make it work. Honestly I'm just trying to learn a bit more about how to make more complex things in RenPy so I think having a goal, like this, to obtain would be good for me.

I can also be a proofer and tester if you want. >.> I kinda suck at anything artsy aside from stories, but you seem to have that covered quite well. xD

freia-chi

#12 Post by freia-chi »

horror + GXB = LOVE.lol

I like the concept. Will stalk this one. ^_^

CaesMRaenes
Regular

#13 Post by CaesMRaenes »

@azureXtwilight, Aquane, BlueRoseMaidenAras, and freia-chi:
Thanks a bunch for the support. Though like I said in my initial post that it's a personal project and I'll update it once in awhile, it'll probably be long before things get really rolling.

@Tejan (and anyone concerning the system):
Seeing your post made me think a little.

Since the whole idea of the card battle system is still in the air, starting it early would be practical rather than creating something later, even if it is only hit-or-miss experiments. Like I mentioned to Riviera, I'm hoping for something similar to the card game of "war" where the larger numbered card would defeat the lesser. There are other details to consider so I'll list them below:

In a player vs. monster situation:
1. What would determine who start first?
2. The difference would create the damage counter, but should it be by turn or by luck of hand?
3. Should the battle be with luck?
4. Restricting the deck to one Ace to create a form of "special attack" would be cool, but would a variable like that be able to be implemented into the system?
5. Etc.

Et cetera being "I have no clue what else to consider at the moment". Number 4 is a 50-50 chance of occurring. My original plan, depending on who your highest romanced Ace was, was to have the player play out the battle between the desired Ace and the monster. Problem is: is it possible to have a variable like that in a battle system? It would be amazing and would be a lot neater if that's the case. I'm also thinking of inputting an option for skipping battle sequences so that those who want the story and only the story could have it.

Hmm... Maybe, I should make do with the idea of utilizing stats and experience earned from battle to help determine the player's ending. Gah! Stop me before I get way out of hand.

Another problem I've been running into when conceptualizing the battle system is the fact that I've played Princess Waltz. The BxG 18+ Visual Novel also had a card battle system and was really fun to play so that's sorta stuck in my mind. If anything, I'm hoping to stray away from theirs to create a system unique for my purpose, but I'd also like input from people who've played Princess Waltz. That way, I'd get a full grasp of whether or not something was done the way I'd hope it to be.

It's been difficult so far.
Last edited by CaesMRaenes on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tejan

#14 Post by Tejan »

Well for the card battle I'd say only use cards with a numeric value and avoid face cards and aces as actual playable cards. Due to the Aces being characters and well face cards... I had a reason for it but lost it since I waited so long to post.
My original plan, depending on who your highest romanced Ace was, was to have the player play out the battle between the desired Ace and the monster. Problem is: is it possible to have a variable like that in a battle system? It would be amazing and would be a lot neater if that's the case.
Just have each action will the Aces be point based and then before each battle check the points and then have the Ace with the highest points do the battle. I don't think it should that hard to do. You left a comment on Love Get about points so I'm sure you know how to work with points and stuff.
I'm also thinking of inputting an option for skipping battle sequences so that those who want the story and only the story could have it.
I believe there's a tutorial on RenPy.org that shows how to make a VN with a Ero and non-Ero scenes option, maybe you could adapt that to leave Card Battles out...

I like your ideas and even though this is a side-project right now its always good to brainstrom some ideas for it every now and then so that you don't lose interest in the project. I've seen it have many times.

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#15 Post by sheetcakeghost »

Ooo, this is a nifty idea. If you need help with sound effects I'm your girl. I'm already doing the recording and research for Love GET so I'll happily look around for you too. Just give me a list of what all you need. (Doesn't have to be all at once.) I've got a huge selection of royalty free SFX to pick from plus I can record my own with good quality. (I'm also a good voice actress if you find you have need for that sort of thing.)

I also know a lot of places you can get some music too, but that's just if you can't find someone to make some for you.

This offer, by the way, extends to anything you might need sounds for. Just because you've been so cool, polite, and helpful. (Or rather really tried that one time.)
Last edited by sheetcakeghost on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.