Problem launching Ren'Py (Linux)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ephi

Problem launching Ren'Py (Linux)

#1 Post by ephi »

Hello everybody,

I'm a complete newbie. I just found out about Ren'Py and was immediately thrilled to give it a try and start making games.
However, when I try to launch Ren'Py on my laptop (Ubuntu 10.04) all I get is a black square flashing up for barely 1 second. (I installed it via the Ubuntu Software Center.)

Can anybody please help me? Any ideas what the problem could be or how to (start to) resolve it?

Thanks in advance! <3

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Problem launching Ren'Py (Linux)

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Did you download a script editor like jEdit? You need a script editing program to code your games

If you haven't, here: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Editors

Edit: Also, almost forgot to mention, but when you download the editor of your choice, put the folder in the Renpy folder so it works properly and the program can launch
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest running it from the command line, so you can see if any error messages are produced.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ephi

#4 Post by ephi »

Thank you very much for the fast reply!
I downloaded and installed the program directly using the Ubuntu Software Center, so theoretically, potential dependencies should already be included.
To be sure, I also installed jEdit, but it didn't change anything. (Although I don't know what it means to put it in the Renpy folder? in the .renpy folder in my home directory? Or in the program folder in usr/share/renpy?)

If I run Ren'Py from the command line, I get the following message:
/usr/share/games/renpy/renpy/parser.py:29: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
import sets
/usr/share/games/renpy/renpy/script.py:31: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
Aborted
Thanks again for your help! It is greatly appreciated!

ephi

#5 Post by ephi »

OK, I found a way of working around the problem, just in case another Ubuntu user experiencing the same issue is wondering:

The package that gets installed by Ubuntu Software Center is (at least at the moment as I'm writing this) Ren'Py 6.9.3.
So, I downloaded the tar of version 6.10.2 from http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Download_Ren%27Py and extracted it to my home directory. The program now launches perfectly well when I run renpy.sh inside the folder.

Problem kind of solved (although, it would be nicer to properly install it and have it in the main menu etc...)

@ PyTom and MaiMai: Again, many thanks for the help anyway! <3

animealice

#6 Post by animealice »

I'm having trouble downloading! every time i download it all i get is a file. what am i doing wrong? also i am new to this website.

ephi

#7 Post by ephi »

Hi animealice,
What operating system are you using?
If your computer runs on windows, you should get one .exe-file. If you open/doubleclick this, it should extract itself and install the program (at least I suppose so, it's been a while since I used windows).
If you have a linux distribution, you'll get a .tar that you need to extract first after downloading (usually easily done by *rightclick* and *extract here* or *open with archive manager*).
(I don't have any experience with a Mac though.)

ipp1

#8 Post by ipp1 »

hi im also having trouble downloading and opening...i have windows