WIP - Remember Me

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

WIP - Remember Me

#1 Post by jack_norton »

I'm still far from finishing this new Otome game but since a dev friend asked me to show what Ren'Py can do I thought to use the new screen language to put some action in the main menu of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxmn-P8Rfts&hd=1
the plain color background will be replaced and maybe the text buttons will be bigger in the final version.

That's all for now, will add more info about the story and the gameplay when have something more concrete to show :) in case you're wondering the protagonist is Amy (red haired girl).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

machinist
Regular

Re: WIP - Remember Me

#2 Post by machinist »

can't wait for a demo ! :)

Asterisk
Regular

#3 Post by Asterisk »

That looks so friggin nice *___*

I can't wait for more!!!
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by jack_norton »

I hope to finish this before Christmas, but depends how other projects go (and I have many). If Flower Shop: Winter in Faibrook is finished before, I'll release that first since is perfectly themed with Christmas/winter :)
computer games

Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

#5 Post by Verity »

Ooh, shiny~ Just curious, since I'm trying to learn the screen language stuff but haven't quite got the hang of it yet—what kind of elements did you use to make the menu screen?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by jack_norton »

It's mostly add "filename" and a ATL transform. You can do pretty nice stuff with few lines of code :)
computer games

Abeiramar
Regular

#7 Post by Abeiramar »

The art is amazing! I love it!
Can't wait for more :) .

sporkysan
Regular

#8 Post by sporkysan »

Ooh. Looks interesting. Commercial English GxB games are so rare. (Doesn't mean that there aren't any good free ones.) I hope you finish both games by Christmas. It would make an awesome x-mas present for myself.

Off topic, but is Flower Shop: Winter in Faibrook the girl version of the game or a continuation?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by jack_norton »

sporkysan wrote: Off topic, but is Flower Shop: Winter in Faibrook the girl version of the game or a continuation?
No a fully independent game (you can play it even ignoring the 1st one). Speaking of the "timeline" is a continuation (the event takes places after Steve visited Fairbrook and now he's a resident).
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by jack_norton »

I have a sort of dilemma. In the game you'll be able to perform several actions on each location. Think about something like "The Sims". For example in the Gym you can exercise, etc. I wanted to use some big buttons with some chibi on each that represent the action (for example, character jogging, watching TV, and so on).
The chibi quality would be like the one on the left, in the screenshots below (currently it's a sort of indicator of the morale):
screenshot0001.jpg
screenshot0003.jpg
but I'm unsure if people would like it, or think it's childish, ugly or anything, so I'm looking for feedback. It's definitely not a game with young themes (it's not adult because has any sexy content but for some themes like hospital, death, etc).
computer games

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#11 Post by Aleema »

Chibi icons would work, if not be preferred. Makes the game more "fun" looking, it's reminiscent of the Japanese style (which is what the genre is based on), and in general, girls like cute/childish things.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by jack_norton »

Hm yes, also now that I think about it, the topseller Recettear sprites were somehow chibi (even if done in 3d) :)
computer games

Ren

#13 Post by Ren »

I don't necessarily agree that girls generally like cute and childish things, and I find it a bit demeaning to say so, but that said: it's usually a good idea to have that sort of simplified graphical representation of a mood or function in a game - it seems to me it makes it a lot easier for the user to easily and quickly react to the feedback the game is giving them.
If it's supposed to be a serious and grown-up game, then chibi illustrations could detract from that and give a more fun and happy-go-lucky feel than it ought to have.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by jack_norton »

Uhm I don't know - I mean, Spirited Heart wasn't childish, right? but at same time, not too much serious. This one is different because of the setting (not fantasy, there is an initial trauma for the main character) but the general mood is not too serious after this (something like Summer Session if you played it).
Maybe will go with an icon representation instead of chibi...
computer games

Ren

#15 Post by Ren »

If it's just the initial setting and then, as you say, it's not too serious, then I don't think these are going to be too out of place.
It's really hard to say blindly like this - the only advice I can give, I guess, is "Try not to over-do it"?