Ever 17

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#31 Post by PyTom »

I made it to the final ending.

Wow.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#32 Post by PyTom »

Okay, now that I've taken some time to digest the ending (and watch the season premier of Galactica), let me try to comment a bit.

First, let me get something out of the way: This is the best commercially translated visual novel released in 2005. It's one of the best, if not the best, commercially translated VNs ever. And the only reason I put the "commercially translated" qualifier on that is because I don't consider it fair to compare smaller games with much larger ones.

Make no mistake about it, this is a large game. It took me a full week of my spare time to play through it. I belieive that it took me a full 24 hours of playtime, at least. And I played through at a very fast rate, so some people may take much longer. That's the time it took me to get all the good endings. (I currently have all the good endings, but am missing some bad ones.)

If you decide to play this game YOU NEED TO GET ALL OF THE ENDINGS. I cannot emphasize this enough. The game is incomplete until you get the final ending. This isn't the sort of game where you settle down with your one true love and live happily ever after until the end of time. It is a science fiction story with romantic elements, and you really need to get all of the endings to understand that story fully. Ever17 utilizes the multipath nature of visual novels in a way that would be almost impossible in a more traditional medium.

(The following paragraphs aren't really spoilers, as they just repeat information in the manual.)

Ever17 is somewhat non-traditional in that it features multiple POV characters. Bascially, what happens is that while the start of the story features some POV changes, answering one of the earliest questions locks you into a POV character. So it's not a game where one can switch back and forth between POV characters, it's a traditional VN in which the POV can changed as dictated by the story.

The fairly subtle question that determines the POV character governs which characters endings you can pursue. If you wind up playing as Takeshi, then you can only get Tsugumi and Sora's endings. Playing as the Kid, you can get You and Sara's endings. On all of these paths, once the POV character has been selected, it does not change until the game ends.

The final ending is Coco's. This ending cannot be achieved until all of the others have been achived. While starting out on Takeshi's path, this ending jumps between POV characters quite often before the end of the game is reached.

I call this a science-fiction story with romantic elements. When playing it, you'll have to deal with a number of SF elements, some of which may be somewhat odd. (I don't know... it didn't faze me at all, but then I'm used to this sort of thing.) There are references to things like cryptography, higher and lower dimensions, holograms, and more. (Many of them feature in the opening sequence.)

The romantic aspect of the game, while quite present, is somewhat understated, but in a good way. Not every good ending leads to a pairing of the POV character and the girl whos ending it is. That's not to say it isn't romantic, it's just not the only thing this game is about. The SF and romance aspect of the game are integrated to the point where it's not possible to get a good ending in one and not the other.

I found all of the good endings and the bad endings to be satisfying stories. That being said, I think one thing with this game is that it can take a long time (hours) from the point where you make an incorrect decision to the point where you get the bad ending. While this isn't really a problem the first time you get the bad ending, it can be somewhat frustrating the second and later times you get that same bad ending.

I wound up getting the Tsugumi and Sora endings by myself, and then I used a google-translated Japanese walkthrough to get the other endings, just so I would finish the game in a reasonable amount of time.

While the normal endings were good, the final ending (Coco's) is great. It integrates elements of the other endings into a coherent structure in such a way that everything that happened makes sense and is (at least reasonably) consistent with what went before, with the final relationships also making sense.

While there isn't any nudity in this game, there is one intimate act that takes place off-camera during the game. So people who offend really easy should be aware of that. Apart from that, the most risque the game gets is bathing suits.

I had a bad CD #4, but the patch Hirameki put out fixed it, so it wasn't a problem for me. There were a few glitches in the Kid's path but nothing major, and probably few for a large game like this.

The translation is somewhat localized. For example, the translators substituted Rip Van Winkle for Urashima Taro in a number of places. It worked for me, but I'm not sure how well that one would work for a non US audience.

Ever17 comes with quite a few bonuses as part of the game. Along with the usual scene jump, gallery, and music player, this also comes with wallpaper and screensavers that are unlocked while playing the game. I haven't seen that.

Anyhow, to wrap it up, let me just say Ever17 is a great game, well worth playing for anyone who has the time to see it through to the final ending. Running the emotional gamut from hilarious to sad, this game really is worth the time it takes to play it. I'd expect it to take its place among the top rank of games, and on the shelves of anyone who likes playing visual novels.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#33 Post by monele »

Well now that's just enough for me to want it very badly o_o. Not even sure if I'll wait for them to fix their in-box cds ^^;

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#34 Post by papillon »

Does anyone know how long it will take before they release fixed CDs?

I'm very poor... but getting the RPG of the Year award gave me a sudden sales boost that means I can probably make the rent this month... but I shouldn't pay for a CD set known to be broken...

(Also, annoyed that Amazon carries several *music* CDs for Ever 17 but doesn't seem to be interested in carrying the game...)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#35 Post by mikey »

Thanks PyTom for that well, almost a review! I think I'll be able to wait until the summer now ^_^, when hopefully, I'll be able to catch up on some of Hirameki's older titles as well.

Luckily, there is some sci-fi. I don't like that too much, so that info will hopefully make it look unappealing and make the wait more manageable. Does the number 17 refer to the people's age? If that's so, that's another downside that I can use :wink: .

Anyway, I found that review very useful, with a bit of the screenshots I think it gives a very good picture about the game as such.

I am really looking forward to this, of course not nearly as much as I was hoping for Five O One which got cancelled, but it looks to be a proper game, so I'll probably even stop bugging my friend to get it, because it looks like something I'd rather own myself.

papillon>> congrats! :P (the rpg award)

shaja
Regular

#36 Post by shaja »

Planar geometry has never been so compelling.

When the "Rip Van Winkle" bit came, I was wondering why the voices were talking about a Love Hina character... ;)

So I googled Urashima Taro. Interesting story.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#37 Post by PyTom »

papillon>> I know that Hirameki is mailing out corrected CDs to those who request them, but I don't know when those CDs will make it into their distribution network.

Congrats on the award, BTW.

mikey>> There isn't some sci-fi in Ever17. There's alot. More than in Hourglass of summer, and in this one many of the characters understand it to a greater or lesser extent. I'd claim E17 has a sci-fi plot with romantic elements layered into it.

To some extent, it reminds me of the special edition of the movie The Abyss, insofar as it has people trying to survive underwater, with a romantic subplot going on. (Please note that these comments only apply to the very good special edition of The Abyss, the one with the tidal wave, not the lousy theatrical edition in which many of the plots and the entire ending were butchered.)

Ever17 does not refer to the characters ages. According to the Hirameki supplied manual, the ages of the characters are:

Tanaka Yubiseiharukana (You) - 18
Komachi Tsugumi - 17
Akanegasaki Sora - 24
Matsunaga Sara - 16
Yagami Coco - 14

Kuranari Takeshi - 20
Kid - Unknown, estimated to be about 15

I will point out to mikey that Tsugumi acts older then the age that Hirameki gives for her. To some extent, world-weary is the adjective I'd use to describe her.

#38 Post by Guest »

Ah, if you don't mind, would you mind posting the walkthrough you used? I just finished the game again, but got another bad ending.. :(

And I agree, this is definitely one of the best visual novels I've played in awhile. The endings I've gotten so far are okay, but it left so many questions unanswered.. I have to get the final ending!

Anyways, if you could give a link to the walkthough, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#39 Post by mikey »

Well, I'm usually not into sci-fi (and neither fantasy, which rules me out of 95% of all the games ever made), but despite that I want to give it a chance. In rare occasions even I will love a sci-fi story (Fifth Element).
PyTom wrote:Congrats on the award, BTW.
I actually wanted to find out more, so I followed the links and ^_^... well, there aren't that many games in the RPG section. And only one of them is made in 2005. :wink:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#40 Post by papillon »

*grin* Yeah, I KNOW that. I know the people involved, too. There were ~five possible contenders - including FATE, which is cool but they didn't think was really 'indie' enough, and Morning's Wrath, which I never got around to finishing the demo for. (As for it not having a link there, I don't think KK did before the award either. Notice that none of my other games are linked. And FATE isn't linked there even though they *did* review it. That listing is NOT all-inclusive.)

... oh, and Feyna's Quest was rereleased this year with new graphics. I think they gave it a different award for that.

Can't remember who the other one was.

Not MUCH competition, but it wasn't quite a certainty either. :)

As for Ever 17, I'm trying to badger rightstuf about getting me a copy, but the last time I tried to get stuff off them it turned into this long painful saga, so who knows. ;)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#41 Post by papillon »

Game finally received. Installing now. Woohoo! :)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by monele »

So... did you receive a fully fixed version ? :) Is the game awesome? ;)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#43 Post by papillon »

It seems to be fixed? I haven't got any errors and the voices are playing. I don't remember if the error came up right away or not for the people who had problems.

But I really have only stuck it in for a few minutes so far, I've got work to get done yet today, will dig into the game later at night. :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#44 Post by PyTom »

For those who are interested, Hirameki is posting up some interviews with the creators of Ever17. The first is up already, at:

http://community.hirameki-int.com/modul ... blog_id=28

Free registration is required.

The first interview is with the womand "in charge of the visuals", and seems to mostly focus on character design. There isn't much in the way of spoilers in this interview, unless you count the tuna.

Cazel
Regular

#45 Post by Cazel »

Well, last night I finally managed to pick up the last couple (bad) endings I hadn't gotten previously, so I now have all 11 "endings", though there are still paths I haven't seen, and a couple wallpapers I don't have. I would definitely agree with PyTom about this being a great game. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. I didn't actually bother downloading the voice patch till yesterday, so I played through it rather quickly compared to what I have been doing with other Hirameki games. It still took me a long time to finish.

For me, one particularly enjoyable aspect of the game was the difficulty level. While I had no particular problem in obtaining the good endings the first time around, I still had to consider my choices. On a scale that runs from games like Amusement Park to games like Snow Drop, I think Ever 17 would end up somewhere in the middle, which is about the difficulty I prefer. Some of the other posts in this thread seem to indicate that others may have had a harder time, so I would be curious how others would rate the difficulty.