A Wiki to RenPy game generator

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Hubberthus
Projects: The Library

A Wiki to RenPy game generator

#1 Post by Hubberthus »

Hi, while making a visual novel I was thinking if I could edit it through a web page, and then have a program download it at the end and create the RenPy game from it.

I ended up creating a kind of extension for the RenPy launcher which I am now using and it's pretty useful for me.

It may be useful for others, so I created a webpage with information about it: http://renpygen.thelibrarygame.net

Feel free to use it if you like :wink:

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: A Wiki to RenPy game generator

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Welcome to the forum, Hubberthus!

Your idea is fascinating, and it seems to be designed with collaborative / multi-editor projects in mind.

Is it safe to assume that in order to use RenpyGen / MediaWiki, a person has to register? And if so, are those new users screened, so that they don't ruin work that's been created, or fill the wiki with spam? Just curious...
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Hubberthus

#3 Post by Hubberthus »

Hi gekiganwing,

At first I was only doing it to be able to edit the script from anywhere, but it turned out to be good for collaborative work.

MediaWiki has some good ways to handle users, groups, and what can they access. Normal users can for example access only the talk pages to discuss and give ideas, but the actual editing could only be done by trusted users. And even if somebody ruins the work, in the page's history it can be undone, and the user get banned.

OdysseyStudio
Regular

#4 Post by OdysseyStudio »

So your saying if I want to start on a project that anybody could work on, this could be the place to do so?
The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.
--Paul Strand

Hubberthus

#5 Post by Hubberthus »

Well, not exactly the place, but it is a tool which can be used for it. The page is just to demonstrate how this works.

I'm thinking of creating a new site for a community game (it would be really interesting to see what would come out of it), but for now I would like to concentrate on my own game. Already wasted to much time creating this stuff :)