Where do I add a framework to a project?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Halbard100

Where do I add a framework to a project?

#1 Post by Halbard100 »

I'm a little in the dark on how to actually use the Frameworks after I download the file. Do I drag the whole folder somewhere or do I need to take specific files out of the download and where do I put the files in the project? I assume that once I have the files in the save folder I just use something like import dse.* or something? Also, I'm using the Dating Sim framework if that effects anything. Thanks!

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Re: Where do I add a framework to a project?

#2 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

well, having just looked in the files for the latest version of the dse, it seems to be set up so that you can copy the contents into your project folder and the just adjust according to what the comments say. Just keep in mind that the file, "main.rpy" contains the start label usually placed in "script.rpy" when you make a new project.

if you're a competent programmer, of course, you could just copy all the .rpy files other than main into your project's game folder and just use the functionality, but there's not much of a difference. However, if you download the other frameworks as well, that's how they're used.

Halbard100

#3 Post by Halbard100 »

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the hierarchy was and how importing stuff worked. I've never used python so I wasn't sure how all the files needed to be oriented and if I needed stuff like import statements to use the methods.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I'll just say here that the DSE is kinda obsolete, by today's standards, except maybe for the event engine. I'm not sure I would use it in a new project - it might be easier to just hand-code things.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Halbard100

#5 Post by Halbard100 »

For my current purposes its not bad. But once I get a little more experience with ren'py and python I'll build something a bit better. Maybe mess with a battle system for something else. Got an idea for a deus ex style game with a kinda of monkey island interface.

I'd just use the renpygame thing for that right? Or would I just python code?
Creator of stuff, programmer and designer.