Visual novels in Poland - Survey results!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
IceD
Veteran

Visual novels in Poland - Survey results!

#1 Post by IceD »

Some time ago, I decided to take some measures in visual novel propaganda and made a survey to examine the needs and interests of my fellow country gamers. Now, I could finally made a conclusion and I'm happily posting the results of the survey to a wider english audience. I don't know how much of use it might be, because my country is propably of small to no importance in overall international anime/manga community, and we shouldn't take survey results as a reliable resource of information, but it may be at least interesting to take a look at it. Generally, even if it's not an international (english audience oriented), I guess the fandom doesn't look that much different from one country to another, so this may also reflect some of general up-to-date preferences, and this doesn't only apply to visual novels but many other media as well (to put it bluntly, creations such as comics, books, games, dojin works etc.).

I should thank Jack Norton now, basically because he was first with the idea to make such a survey and I decided to follow in his steps, so few of the core questions are being basically the same. The survey data was collected from a big range of sites, forums and communities, including http://www.blip.pl (a polish equivalent of twitter), http://anime.com.pl, http://www.gamedev.pl, http://www.visual-novels.pl, jgames.pl, http://mangaforum.dmkproject.pl/forum, http://forum.innerworld.pl, http://www.weryfikatorium.pl (polish fiction writing portal), http://gildia.pl (polish cultural portal) and http://www.lubcon.pl (my region's fantasy/anime/manga club). As you may guess, Circa 60% of surveyed people were anime/manga fans, the rest being from artistic circles, mostly art and writing ones and the rest were polish game developers. The total count has reached 413 responses, though the system did record only full ones, which were 230, and I think this to be a very good result reached in such a period of time, especially when I was supporting this actively only within the first month (that was also the time when I did get like 50-60% of responses), and I haven't promoted it much after that either.

The results of this survey are from now on available publicly and may be found here: http://moje-ankiety.pl/ankieta-wyniki/id-1365.html. I also made the english translation, which I'm uploading here. As a small note, I'd like to say that this survey is far from perfect - after that much time, and so much response from various people I know there's still plenty of space for improvements, some parts weren't written that good as they could, some questions haven't been asked while they could have been and many things might could be done in a better way; I'm well aware of that fact. Yet, if this will still serve you the right purpose, I'll be happy with that.
ankietavn-15122010-1837_eng.png
What can I say? It's been a long time, but I'm quite happy with the results. I expected the outcome to be a lot worse and more pessymistic, yet it seems that our country is quite a good ground for visual novel medium to sprout and evolve; it only needs a bit more attention and the field of possibilities is almost infinite. It's a 'tabula rasa', just waiting to be filled, and because of that there's planty of space for experimenting. I really do hope to see visual novels in our country as good as other things, such as games, books or manga.

Judging from the results we can come to a few general conclusions. It seems that fantasy is in the biggest demand now, followed by modern fiction (Kanon, Clannad and Air being the best examples here) with many good responses, but the most interesting thing is that most of people say they don't mind the genre; as long as the story will be decent and interesting, they will read everything - you have us here :) . Furthermore, people really seem to like reading alot, even if common opinion is a bit different (they say we're in the middle of a 'reading' crisis now - judging from national statistics, people don't read much, with most not reading anything at all!), and that's good that at least those who are interested want to read very long stories (unfortunately, this also means more work for us, creators); it may kinda reflect our current needs.

I was kinda amazed when I saw the number of people that honestly admitted they knowledge about visual novels; it seems that this name isn't a mystery anymore, at least to people that are familiar with anime, manga and japanese culture. Almost half of the surveyed already had some contact with them, and half of those are people that admit to read them actively, wow :) .

As for the type, again - the male part of bishoujo gamers is the biggest one, but you may also find quite a few otome gamers, yet again - people won't mind reading different types of stories! Well, except yaoi which seems to be the less favorized type :D , but it seems we aren't particualry picky on various things. Polish visual novel fans seem to like deep and heavy storytelling where relationships beetwen people play a big role, and characters are well fleshed-out (that's propably why NGE franchise is so popular here). We like adventures, magic and mysteries, and technology (though sci-fi isn't that popular, at least now), and aren't afraid of serious things. We also aren't afraid to read about sex and don't mind anything erotic, as long as it will be done in a good manner. Designing and publishing those would propably be a different matter, knowing what problems may occur and what can be expected from some groups. Still, this would be a good experiment to try - maybe I would even got to the TV with that, haha! :D

Despite all the problems, almost all people do like anime-styled art, be it any type (classic, serious or artistic) very much and would like to see it in a visual novel of their choice; both western and european stylistics seem to be of least interest, and no one was interested in cartoon-styled graphics (which kind of a relief).

Another interesting fact is, while in overall there is a good liking to various add-on game elements, most of people would just like to read a good story, and if they would want to play a bit at all, role-playing and simulation elements seem to interest them the most. Most of people also do think that the idea, followed by writing are the most crucial elements in visual novel developement. The rest and exact number of people said the art and replayability with endings should still take an important role and almost no one cares about voice overs and sound in general (ouch, but then - maybe we are more to the hardcore side? :D MUD's and ROGUElike games are still very popular here, especially in some circles).

I left the most important things, at least for us creators are at the end. Again, PC users with Windows and Linux systems are the biggest part of gaming community, although there's also a big Playstation circle, and we can already see growing handled communities; it's a pity that there aren't many Xbox users, because it's the easiest market to reach now. Despite many problems distribution could cause, many still yearn for a true, purely physical boxed form and finally, it seems that people are ready and willing to jump into franchise, as long as it will be decent and the prices will remain reasonable (and that's good to hear, because personally, I think this would might become the biggest source of income for every indie dev that has the guts and enough skill to pull it out, especially in this country).

Conclusions? As you can see, it isn't that bad here, although the community still remains tiny (but grows slowly). This is the best time to start thinking seriously about VN developement in my country, and fantasy oriented RPG's are on the rise again (I wonder if people will ever get bored of those :D ). Going with the fact that most of RPG's utilise a deep told storyline, it would be not hard to make a good game being basically a VN hybrid with complex RPG elements. As for me, I'll stay faithful to my belief, that everything (at least now) has the same, exact chance to rock and fall deeply into the hearts of players, as long as it will be decent and interesting.

If there are any polish developers reading this, I'll just encourage to begin. We need more interesting entertainment, we need something new and refreshing. Gameplay and high-end 3d graphics aren't everything. Visual novels are very easy to create from a developer point of view and require much less resources for creation than any other type of game; few people can manage together to make a decent one! They don't need a powerful PC to run smoothly. You have basically a ready-to-go, fully free engine, with no commercial restrictions. Python is much easier to learn than C++. Visual novels are not only games, they can be truly an art masterpieces, as books always were and I know we have many skillful artists and musican willing to participate in such endeavour. There's no competition and the market's a fresh chance for new, aspiring developers! So, what are you wating for? :)

I leave the rest for personal interpretation; there are many things to discuss about. Feel free to ask me any questions. You can also leave me a PM, drop an e-mail or catch me personally on MSN, AIM, or official Ren'Py IRC for a little chat.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Visual novels in Poland - Survey results!

#2 Post by LVUER »

Hohoho... thank for posting the survey result, IceD ^_^ This could be useful...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

MightyPeanut
Regular
Projects: Sinner's Eve

#3 Post by MightyPeanut »

What is most important in a visual novel?

0.4% 1 vote Music and Sound

That...wow. I did not realize most people placed no emphasis on the sound part. Especially since I consider it pretty much as important as the storyline.

IceD
Veteran

#4 Post by IceD »

@MightyPeanut - This may be because many people might still not know what exactly visual novels are, most of us propably sees it as some sort of digitalized stories told within computer; the presence of sound may be obvious, but still - many readers will see the writing and graphics as the most influential and important part, rather than sound.

To be honest, I was was a bit surprised with that result. I knew most of the surveyed will propably chose the setting and writing as the most important, but placing music that low... well beats me. Of course, this might have it's good sides here, so I won't be complaining. Personally, I think that the setting, writing, grahpcis and music are all altogether important within a visual novel, because that's the only way to convey all the feelings in the best way possible.

Old japanese PC-98 visual novels didn't have sound, only graphics and writing but were still awesomely cool :wink:

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#5 Post by netravelr »

Well with video games there only a few senses that game creators can use to bring people "into that world". Visuals are obviously one of the primaries but if a game is lacking in sound, particularly if the music is repetitive or annoying players are going to dislike your product. The funny thing is, most players won't believe this unless you actually put them into that situation so I hope that doesn't happen to anyone's project here. :-)
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by SusanTheCat »

I think sound is one of those things that when it is done well, it blends with the visuals and story and makes the experience greater.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

Sound is like ... if you do it well, no one notices it. xD Like the editing of a movie, if you're not going avante-garde, if they don't recognize editting as editting, you're doing your job. Of course, GOOD editing/sound/whatever, hopefully it's recognized as an important feature you didn't realize you needed.

IceD
Veteran

#8 Post by IceD »

Good words. As for me, Sound is as important as the rest of elements every visual novel is built of. You can still go without it, or sacrifce the quality, but you'll see you're loosing very much because of it. Music in visual novel helps to convey proper feelings to people who read the text and watch the pictures. Without good or at least proper music (and sounds), the visual novel will be very bland. But the main reason why many people and developers underscore music in games in general is because it takes skill and passion to crate a truly beautiful music, which will make your heart ache along with the rest of game's contents at the proper moment. And it isn't cheap (for high quality music), so most of creators omit everything and make this mistake.

To sum up, I'm fed up with all the disscusions here and elswhere about 'What's more important - writing, or art? Or maybe music?' and so on... It's bullshit. Visual novel without any of those elements isn't a visual novel. So does every game. Period. So stop complaining and learn things or get/earn cash and hire a good musican, or find a skilled and talented novice to compose it! If you can't afford to be a developer in any way, don't even try! Don't make visual novels, if you can't do that in a proper way! Try something easier instead, and try to finish it. Making a simple retro game is a good choice for novice game developers. Visual novels are a work of art, so if you aren't artistic enough, you won't create anything.

Young creators should not only learn their skills as they go, but also understand how some things work in general, like being a game developer. It's just not about 'creating a game'. Sorry, it isn't that easy. Do it bad, and you downgrade whole community with your pathetic works (and I'm not even talking about those WIP threads!), as well as yourselves, because you hardly earn anything from something like that! Furthermore, you will be filling yourselves with guilt and pity, and propably a lot of embarassment. You will also make others embarassed because of your works. I know - everyone has to start somewhere, but as they say - start it smart. Don't be hasty. It's not about skills, personal gain and enrichment, it's about responsibility. Responsibility being a game developer and learning from the mistakes. Well, you can't kinda make any mistakes if you will not try, but it's good to know some simple things beforehand, just to make such mistakes less in the future and we all learn that, each in our own time.

Well, I just kinda made an offtopic in my own thread ^^;. Sorry for that; Hope you all, who feel that way will understand this instead just being plain mad again. I'm not trying to stop anyone; Do as you wish, it's not that this applies to everyone. It's just a tip of advice from someone, who already made similiar mistakes earlier and learned something from them, and wishes to share that with others.

MightyPeanut
Regular
Projects: Sinner's Eve

#9 Post by MightyPeanut »

Remember kids, IceD is strict and mean because he loves all of you and wants you to excel at school. :D

Jokes aside, I do want to point out that if one part of your VN fails (art, writing, sound or execution) you do run a huge risk of alienating people before they even start. Especially if it's art, which is pretty much the only thing people can judge from your screenshots.

However, if we throw the basic assumption that everything is at an acceptable level (which we really can't in the OELVN community) I will still fall back on the idea that music is the most important thing. It's that thing in the background that makes you think "yes, now this is a good VN".

It's very easy to see this in action. Just film a child playing with a toy car and crashing them into each other. Now take out all the sound and add in high quality sound effects and music. Everything suddenly changes, no matter how silly the original material is.