Tips for a n00b!

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
quaxxerl

Tips for a n00b!

#1 Post by quaxxerl »

um......im new here in these forums and would like to ask some questions about making a visual novel, and what makes people like it.
1. for a n00b is it better to start out solo, or get a group of people to help make the desired visual novel?
2. What good elements does a visual novel have to have for you to like it?
3. Do you like branching storylines, if there was no branching storyline what would you think of it?
4. what do you think of a series?
5.Your opinions on crossovers? (for a future reference)
6. Do you like listening to music while reading a visual novel?
7. How much are you willing to read of an 8-part series?
8. Do you prefer original music, or do you find other music to listen to?
9. Would you be willing to play a visual novel where you open a youtube page, or open itunes, and have to listen to a certain typr of song such as a happy song,and so on ?
10. Do you like battle scenes in visual novels?
11. Do you like comedy and a serious parts in a story?
12. Do you like complex stories?
13. Would you like to see romance in a mainstream-ish fantasy story?

sorry for so many weird questions. thank you for reading this! (and sorry for any bad grammar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Tips for a n00b!

#2 Post by LVUER »

1. for a n00b is it better to start out solo, or get a group of people to help make the desired visual novel?
Solo, since working in group meaning you need teamwork which is an additional task for you (and don't forget that they could leave you/the project behind anytime). Make a short, simple, finish-able VN for your first one.

Good story, good arts, good characters, good music...

3. Do you like branching storylines, if there was no branching storyline what would you think of it?
No branching storyline VN is called KN (Kinetic Novels), meaning no choice/branching, single ending. I have nothing against it. I will play it if the story is good. But personally, I prefer VN (branching).

4. What do you think of a series?
As long as it finish one "story" when one series ends, it's not a matter for me (don't make a cliffhanger ending).

5. Your opinions on crossovers? (for a future reference)
I'm not against it (or even could like it) AS LONG AS the story is good and consistent, and it have been thought how the crossover happens (perhaps multiple dimension, or just living in the same world).

Yes, sometimes, if the music is good (do you mean the VN BGM?).

Depending on how GOOD the story is.

Original music.

9. Would you be willing to play a visual novel where you open a youtube page, or open itunes, and have to listen to a certain typr of song such as a happy song,and so on ?
NO.

Yes, if it's good and not too hard just because it's bad or false.

Yes.

Yes. But please don't use symbolic like the End of Evangelion.

Of course. In fact, without romance, I feel something is lacking.
Last edited by LVUER on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

I would say ... just in my opinion ... go solo. You'll mostly likely get disappointed and discouraged real quick when people you're counting on get lives. If your project is too big for one person, you picked the wrong scope for your first project. ^^; Commissioning stuff with money is a quick way to get guaranteed, reliable resources, but, you know, it costs money. xD

Attention to detail, in either story or visually.

I don't mind non-linear stories if there's another gameplay aspect I can control, like an RPG or some other gameplay element. Purely kinetic novels need a good review for me to play them. ^^; I like playing games more than reading novels so sue mearegfghh >_<

I generally don't like them unless they have complete story arcs in each episode. No cliffhangers or episode one is just Act I of the story. I don't want a partial meal, I want to feel satisfied when I get to an end. If that means waiting extra long for a release, I'll do it.

Don't like 'em. Takes me out of the immersion of the story.

Only on VNs I've played through several times. For the first time, I almost always listen to the music included in the game. Unless it sux0rz.

I probably wouldn't pick it up unless it was highly recommended, or really good reviews. =\

Huh? I thought I already answered this? I like the game's music for the first few times.

Whoa wuuuut are you asking? Does the game open up a youtube page and asks you to listen to it? LMAO, no! Unless it's a mystery game where you're searching for clues in a song, that's just really unprofessional. The least you could do is rip the music and play it in the game itself. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Yes! *is making one herself* So long as they're applicable to the story and situation, and isn't really contrived or the battle system sucks ... I love gameplay+story-telling.

Is this a trick question? =P People will naturally appreciate both. People remember good comedy for a looong time, because death and tragedy are easier to produce. And sometimes people want to play a game that makes them feel good. But they also want don't want a story that's not relatable because everything is perfect happy land, so a mixture of both is optimal.

... Yes? Something that challenges the brain (and we GET it) makes us feel smart. =P If it's just pretentious, then no.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Absolutely, go solo. If the other members of your group are new to it too, then most likely it will turn into chaos. If the other members are more experienced, they may feel like you're the weaker link simply because you're less experienced. IMO it's in your best interest to accomplish something by yourself before you involve others.

It at least needs an enjoyable story and art that is nice to look at. Also (sort of not what you meant by that question), it's nice not to see misspellings, typos, and *facepalms* game crashing due to simple errors. Proofread, quality-check, test test test. It shows that you really care about your story when you make sure it's not going to be hijacked by silly technical things.

If it's non-branching then it better be an interesting story.

4. What do you think of a series?
I think it's fine to have more installments in the story if the response to the first one is good. However, don't drag out a small story that could be one visual novel into a lot of them.

5. Your opinions on crossovers? (for a future reference)
Being a Leiji Matsumoto fan, I've come to accept them as perfectly normal. This is probably not a common viewpoint :lol:

If it's not incredibly annoying or out of place music, yes.

I would really have to like it. And knowing that it had 8 parts vs 1 part might make me reluctant to try it at all if it seemed like something I wouldn't really be into.

Original.

Absolutely not... your game should be self-contained.

Uhh... if they're relevant, I guess?

Yes, variety is good.

Who doesn't? :)

Yes.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#5 Post by Blue Sky »

Honestly, solo work would probably be better since if you do quit it won't affect anyone else.

A main character with personality, interesting characters, a plot... yeah.

Either is fine.

Don't be like me. Make a story with no sequels first, than you can decide on making a series.

No.

Yes

Depends on how good it is.

I listen to the music from the game while I play.

No... don't do this.

It's fine.

Both are good.

Yes.

Sure.

quaxxerl

#6 Post by quaxxerl »

yay! lots of responses :D Definetly not doing number 9......more questions!

14. Do you like stories with lots of characters or very little?
15. What do you think of a gag?
16. Since it is probaby better to do a short visual novel before going big, would it be better to have a brighter story or a darker story?
17. How important is romance?
18. What's a good way to spread news of your visual novel?
19. Do you like stories long or short?
20. What types of characters do you like and dislike?
21. How does a sad yet happy ending sound? Or is a happy ending better, for a fantasy?
22. What do you think of a story that talks about the value of something like "friendship"?
23. Is it better to expose all of the characters, or just keep them out of the spotlight?
24. How do i make BGMs for my visual novel? :cry:
25. What (in your opinion) is the best way to end of a fantasy story?
26. How do you like your typical bad guys?

sorry for even more questions. :roll:

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

Methinks the more specific you get, about what kind of endings and characters you want, the more it should only matter what YOU think. If YOU like more characters, very evil bad guys, sweet endings, and romance -- please do it. Make what you like above all! :) Would you want to play your game?

I find BGM music is the easiest resource to find, especially for fantasy because of the large RPGMaker resource community. A LOT of Japanese composers allow for you to use their music if you just credit them or ask permission. Those aside, you can find some free resources on the OELVN wiki. As for making them, I don't know. ^^;

Good way to spread news of your novel ... posting in forums is one. Make a good game, and word of mouth will be powerful. :D

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#8 Post by pkt »

I tried solo myself but working with a team is working out better.

Interesting story and fairly short.

I like them but I can do with out as long as it's short enough.

I think that series are a turn off for me. When I come across a story I usually pass on it now a days if it has more than 3 chapters. I'm more a fan of fanfics than regular fiction though.

I like them as long as I like both series which is to say you won't always find two universes that sync well and are done well as a crossover.

Sometimes yes, I don't really like music as much as I like good powerful sound effects though.

I just won't. That's just me but if a story is too long I rarely finish them.

If you make a game get some music, people like to have a choice.

If you need help getting music ask. I would highly advise again this. Unless you can pull it off well...

Not a fan of them. I like love scenes more.

Yeah I like both together and I'll say I like comedy way more than a serious story.

No but that's just me. I like my plots thin and my stories linear. I'm not likely your audience though.

Sure.

A few or they tend to get long or a lot of people aren't important.
In other words, as few main chars as possible.

I like over the top stuff. Excel Saga comes to mind.

16. Since it is probaby better to do a short visual novel before going big, would it be better to have a brighter story or a darker story?
brighter stories seem a lot easier. Just don't make it too generic,

It's somewhat important in some stories but if everything is about love I'll pass mostly. I prefer hot passion or lust more.

Word of mouth. Make a good impression. Have people review it.

Short...

I like most generic moe archetypes, I like my characters to seem fictional. I don't really like characters who are average to the extreme but I do like combined types a lot.

21. How does a sad yet happy ending sound? Or is a happy ending better, for a fantasy?
I don't know as I don't read fantasy. I play RPG's though in which I'd say happy ending.

22. What do you think of a story that talks about the value of something like "friendship"?
I like em.

23. Is it better to expose all of the characters, or just keep them out of the spotlight?
I don't know what you mean. If you mean like having multiple main character moments then I don't mind it.

Get the free program Musagi and another one called Audacity. I plan on making tutorials one day but until then ask me anything about it.

Happily ever after.

Comical but serious.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

quaxxerl

#9 Post by quaxxerl »

Hm......maybe i shouldnt go to much into detail....also feel free to add more questions that noobs would like to know!
Fushugi no Kuni no Game Project
Script......28%
Sprites......2%
CG...0%
BGM...0%
BG...5%

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

I like both. Though I don't like story with lots of characters, but 95% of them are unnecessary (hint: Suikoden).

I have nothing against it... if it's good.

Again, it doesn't matter which one... as long as it's good. And remember that different people have different taste.

For me, it's not a big problem if there's no romance, but I feel there's something lacking. Just remember that if you target younger audience, sometimes it's better not to include romance.

Upload it into this forum or renai.us. Then let the power of words works its wonder ^_^

Long... if it's GOOD. It's better to have one good short story than one so-so long story.

I never exclusively like one type of character. I love all kind of characters, as long as they are good (though I kinda fall in love with Kagami type of character ^_^ ).

I dislike character that so idiot (in many ways) that it's impossible for that kind of character to be exist in this world... oh, and I also hate "a**-hole" kind of character AKA the jerk.

Happy ending is a must for me. Real world is already hard for me, I don't want to get more stress from watching/reading sad ended manga/anime/game.

Well, it's good, of course... I rarely meet any manga/anime/game that doesn't value the power of friendship.

It's all depends on creator's creativity and type and length of the story. If you can expose them all, then do it, but do it good. If the story is short, then there's no point wasting time telling non-protagonist story. If it's about a chosen-boy heroic story, then there's no need to put any other character into the spotlight. And so on.

Use appropriate software. But still, you must have the skill to make good music. If you can't, then just find some free music. If you want to make commercial game, then buy those musics.

Just like every other kind of story, for me, the best ending is a happy ending. But for a fantasy story, I want to end it with a BIG BANG (I mean great and intense climax)!

I don't like bad guys (or girls), but it's necessary for some stories with conflicts (it's useless for a warrior of light if there's no dark king to fight). And there's no typical bad guys for me since it's all depending on the creator's creativity.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

quaxxerl

#11 Post by quaxxerl »

even more questions!its interesting seeing different opinions

27. Would you want there to be a visual novel boom? Such as a sudden popularity rise.
28. Why is having a deviantART helpful?
29. Do you like drawn backgrounds or photos?
30. How much screen time should you give a side character?
31. What's a good number of CGs to have?
32. Are you fine with normal sprites,or do you like ones that change poses better?
33. What's the max amount of characters you can have on the screen?
34. Should i make a logo? In japanese? Or English?
35. How picky are you about artwork?
36. Do you like chibis?
37. Do i ask too many questions? *shot*
/b]
Fushugi no Kuni no Game Project
Script......28%
Sprites......2%
CG...0%
BGM...0%
BG...5%

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

27. Would you want there to be a visual novel boom? Such as a sudden popularity rise.
Not really. I would be okay with the community growing, but a boom could get very messy, very quickly. I prefer I nice steady rise.

Exposure. It is the biggest non-professional art site on the web. It is the best place to look for artists who might work for free. It is a good place to socialise. Every artist and their dog has an account there.

Drawn backgrounds. I really don't like the clash between 2d and 3d.

Depends. If they are important to the story line, enough so that the reader will understand the situation. If not, I would wonder why I had to have them there at all.

How long is the game? I think you should at least have a CG for every ending. If it is a longer game I would space them out at important moments as rewards. All depends on what you are capable of.

32. Are you fine with normal sprites,or do you like ones that change poses better?
I am fine with normal sprities, but ones that change poses are better because they express more. But my mind can fill in the blanks if they don't.

Probably three, though that depends on screen size.

Yes, and in english.

Very, but I will play with almost any artwork if the story is good. Good artwork is icing. Really, really nice icing.

36. Do you like chibis?
Yes.

You ask a lot of questions, but you can do so of course.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#13 Post by LVUER »

A: Yes and no. Yes since that means there will be more good VN and there are more people that will buy VN. No since it means there will be more competition on the market.

A: Because I could dump all my arts there and makes it my portfolio.

A: Hand-drawn backgrounds, obviously ^_^

A: Depend on how important s/he is and what is his/her role in the story.

A: Depending on the story length. The longer the story, the more the CGs.

A: Change poses.

A: Average two, maximum four (shouldn't show four character at once too often, since it really makes the screen looks cramped).

A: Depending on your target market. If you want publish it in Japan, then go for Japanese logo. If you want to publish it in Western market, go for English logo.

A: I don't want to be too picky... but I want the art to be at least clean, "finished", and consistent. What is consistent? Some game have different artist for different character (and it's so obvious that I don't need to compare).

36. Do you like chibis?
A: Yes. But it doesn't mean I want a game that use only chibi arts.
A: Perhaps yes... but it's alright. Keep asking, especially if you really need to ask... people here are nice ^_^ And I will keep answering anyway...

DeviantArt Account

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#14 Post by EternalDream »

Too little characters get boring, but too many gets confusing, but if I had to choose between the two... I guess lots of characters?
...idk, if they're funny it's okay.
In my opinion, it's harder to make darker stories short. (But it's still possible)
Very. I personally wouldn't play a VN without romance in it (even a tiny bit is good)
Blogs, deviantart, websites, posting it in the WIP (Work in progress) forums, making an OP for it (all I could think of for now...)
As long as it's interesting, and good I don't mind the length, but it can't be too long 'cuz when I wanted to replay it to get all the endings, it's going to be a bore just waiting... too long as in over 24 hours of playtime (probably)
I don't like girls who can't use their brain... For guys though, perverts for sure lol
I like happy endings best, but a sad yet happy ending would make games more memorable, I suppose... and plus for me, sad yet happy endings are funner to make. I guess it just comes down to what you want to make.
Yes, friendship's important... but like love and romance, try not to make it to typical/cliche...
Do it with a certain pacing... like, don't just suddenly expose everyone but don't never introduce no one. Everything needs to be done in moderation.
24. How do i make BGMs for my visual novel?
Go to music creating sites such as jamstudio or grabs an instrument and record. If that doesn't work, search up original composers who compose nice songs and ask for permission from them to use their songs or go to some website with people offering free music. Or you could just buy songs. (Lots of options)
There's a climax that's action filled and the ending should be epic XD It should make someone think man, that was awesome!
Bad guys as in villians or bad guys as in criminals, delinquents, etc? Either way, if they're a bad guy they should live up to their name and be bad (unless they're obtainable guys, then they got to show some form of caringness <--- idk if that's a word).
Sure, then there will be more visual novels being created! But then on the other hand, more people will be charging money for them so that's not good...
I honestly have no idea... I just created one 'cuz everyone else here seemed to have one :mrgreen: I don't update it often though...
Drawn. I think out of all your questions this is probably one that EVERYONE would agree on.
idk, depends on how important they are and they're role in the game. (And of course, how long the game is)
6 for each chara IMO, but if you're going for fantasy stuff (Which I guess you are since you're asking so much about it) then it's probably better to have more.
Changing poses would be ideal but normal ones are okay too...
3 characters. More and it gets crowded.
Yes, definitely a logo... If you're jap then I guess u could make it jap but if ur not, then probably not.
I'm actually pretty picky. The only way I can kind of ignore artwork a bit... is if the story line is awesome.
36. Do you like chibis?
They're cute as long as they're not overused lol

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#15 Post by Aozora210 »

That is a whole lot question, and I actually am a noob too, but I guess I'll to answer them. Skipped number 9 because you said it wasn't needed on the 2nd batch of questions, right?

Go solo can be really hard, especially if you lack some crucial skills needed, but if you want to make a team, make sure you get trusted people for your team. Friends or family, for example.
Story, that is definite. Visual is second and music is third for me. I can cope for story without character art (just background and words) like Narcissus (though they have some character CG on hand), but if you have character, it would be more awesome.
I like branching story lines as there will be more thing to explore. Kinetic novel is also fine, as long as they could make some good turns at the story. Sometimes KN could be really boring without story enhancement.
Good, as long as it’s interesting and has good story. I don’t really like long stories without good story line.
I don’t really like it. I like what is original is original and what fandom is fandom. Mixing kinda makes things become unnatural, unless you can make a really good one.
Well, I usually don’t pay attention to the music very much, unless the music really caught my attention, but I like to hear something during my VN reading.
Depends on the story. If it’s good, then it’s okay.
I would prefer original, but I would use some other music if I can’t make one. Just make sure what you use for your music isn’t repetitive and commonly used, as it can make people bored with the music.
Sure I do, as long as it’s not too cliché and fits with the story.
I like both. Balance is always needed on a good story.
Yes, as long as they don’t get confusing.
Yes I would. Romance is always a good spice in a fantasy story XD

It depends. If you want to make a rather long story, having lots of character would be a good idea, though my suggestion is don’t make them overly too much. If you prefer shorter story, fewer characters is alright.
It’s okay, as long as they don’t go over the edge u,u
16. Since it is probably better to do a short visual novel before going big, would it be better to have a brighter story or a darker story?
I’d say that is depends on you. Which one is your specialty, so you just go make one there you like and you can. I have no problem with that, actually.
It’s quite important, though sometimes I’d still say it depends on the story. Some stories fits best with romance while some don’t (or having romance as an additional rather than a focus), but well, having romance in your story is nice, and I like stories with romance enhanced XD
renai.us or deviantart or facebook or anywhere as there’s a lot of people can read your promotion.
I like a bit long stories, as sometimes short stories often left an “unfinished” impression, but if you can make good short story, why not? Example of good short stories is Ripples and [text] by sake-bento. Good longer stories example here is Frozen Essence by VenusEclipse.
Mary Sue and Gary Stu, of course. Way too perfect and cocky, and I don’t like stupid characters. I’d prefer naïve but not stupid. Also, annoying little kids.
You can work a sad ending as long as it doesn’t get too depressing. Also it depends on the story. Gloom and dark stories tend to have sad ending while heroic and more cheerful stories tend to get happier ending.
Good, as long as you don’t make it too cliché or way over the top. Keep the morals of the “friendship” right in their own way.
If you want to say focus on the story, it’s better to keep the main character on the spotlight, but if the side characters got quite important role, well, it’s not wrong to give them a spotlight once.
24. How do i make BGMs for my visual novel?
Nah, I don’t quite this one. Either you can play music and record it, or using some software, but I’ll suggest if you can’t make music and don’t have any friend to help you, get some royalty free music and remember not to pick the way too common one.
Awesome climax and epic ending, and no cliffhanger unless you want to continue the story.
Hah, it depends on the story of course. If you play a GxB VN and expect that the bad guy is obtainable, then I would want him to be a cool bad guy with some wonderful purpose or motive. I usually like cunning and cool bad guys who can work their plan in such a wonderful way, instead of bad guys who just do their plan abruptly.

Hmmm, it’s quite hard to answer since there’s a positive and negative side of the boom. While a boom could make the attention on us bigger because there’s more people that like VNs, somehow it can make certain competition arising, and not to mention, dead on the amateurs.
You can make it as your portfolio, and show to people if you want to work with them, and also, if you have some watchers over there, you can use it as a media to advertise your VN too XD
Drawn backgrounds. :3 It’ll blend better if you have a 2D sprites, so it doesn’t felt out of place.
Depends on the importance of the character and the length. I think it’s up to you to decide that.
Again, this is depends on the story or the characters. If you plan to make some GxB or BxG stories, makes sure that each obtainable character gets enough CG to support their route.
Changes poses are good, since it’ll give some dynamic on the character (good example of changing poses sprite: The World Ends With You, Grim Grimmoire), but I don't mind normal one. If you want to have normal one, more expressions on the character could make it up :3
Four if the screen is wide enough, and that is the most I can have. Good example of four characters on screen is Ar tonelico 2 and 3.
Logo is a yes, though not obligatory. As for Japanese or English, that, of course, depends on your story. You can’t expect to have a European themed medieval fantasy to have Japanese logo, no?
I’m quite forgiving on the artwork, as long as it does have a good support on the story.
36. Do you like chibis?
Sure do, as long as it’s not over the top or way too shiny tralala.
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven