A question about character art/sprites

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kazane02

A question about character art/sprites

#1 Post by Kazane02 »

I've got a question that I hope someone could help me out with.

How much do hiring an artist for character art and/or sprites typically cost?

Say, for example, a mid-range quality character art that is static, with a standard array of facial expressions, one or two poses and clothing, mid-thigh up. What would be a price range for that?

And how about very high quality art work with the same exact needs as above? Something like this - http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/1/105.jpg

How much would something like that cost? And where can you find such an artist, or someone half as good?

Believe me, I tried searching through the forums. While there are quite a number of threads with various debates about production cost, there is little to none providing such specific information.

If anyone could provide as close an answer, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you very much.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

Re: A question about character art/sprites

#2 Post by Snowflower »

Honestly, I think that depends on the kinds of quality you're looking for.

I've seen artists, great artists, who offer their work to people for decent price. Most offer bundles (a sprite with many different expressions, with small additional fee, you can add extra stuff)

On deviantart, I've seen anywhere from $10 to $35ish for a sprite set. Some even might be nice enough to do work for free. So I think your best bet is looking through deviantart & see which style of art you like the best in the gallery and ask for help when needed.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

Find out on deviantArt's starving artists forum: http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/services/

Kazane02

#4 Post by Kazane02 »

Thank you, both of you for the timely replies! I do wish for a range as well, for upper-tier costs, but so far your answers have been certainly been much more helpful than what I had to muddle through.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I think it does really depend on the artist and what you want. It also has stuff to do with how quickly you want something, other demands on the artists, variables, and stuff like how many revisions you want to be able to make. Personally I feel that buying art can be like two things, you either are fairly accepting of what you get like you would be if you were buying a product in a store, or you reserve the right to make changes and get charged more for the extra time it takes. You can't really expect an artist to work 20 hours on revisions and be paid $35. At least I hope not.

Any way, I can give you a general opinion on what I might charge (though I have never worked on commission basis). This is just my opinion though and I lack experience so take it with a grain of salt. You can measure my skill with my prices and compare with others to get some general measurements.

-For one sprite, one pose, up to 20 expressions, 2-3 outfits depending on complexity, limited revisions past sketch stage, basic anime style, soft cell shading : ~$30-$35

Things that may change this estimate:
-extra poses: ~$5-$10 each depending on how much of a change and how complex.
-extra outfits: dependent on amount and complexity.
-complex styles, colouring styles or style I am unused to may cost more.
-extra revisions may cost more. There is no point in trying to get me to do something I can't do. I will try to do what is needed, but there is a limit.
-Discounts for entire character sets are possible.
-Some things will probably effect the price and need to be negotiated.

That is around what I would charge anyway. There is a saying that is quite relevant to it though. You have speed, quality and cost. You can pick two of these three things. You can have it good and cheap, but it won't be quick. You can have it cheap and quick, but it won't be good. You can have it good and quick, but it won't be cheap.

Kazane02

#6 Post by Kazane02 »

Thank you as well for your input, Auro-Cynaide! Dare I venture to ask something different?

In my post above, I linked to what I deem as a high quality picture.

If I were to ask you to model the character as closely as possibly, with one pose, a standard range of expressions and two sets of clothes, how much would you charge?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

That would depend. It can be difficult to match styles exactly, especially if I only have limited reference. If you didn't mind it only being 'close' and not 'spot one', around $30 (it would take me about 2-3 hours I think). I could probably do cheaper if you allowed me to use my style and you were not going to push the revisions too much because I could do it quicker I think.

The main time consumers with sprites are pose>clothes>expressions. Poses can be difficult to get right and trying to match one character in different poses is a challenge if you are not familiar with the character or the style. Clothes can be difficult depending on the complexity, but usually are not too bad, especially if you have an idea of what you want. Expressions are the easiest, especially if they are only applied to one pose. You are only changing small parts instead of redrawing the character.

My best advice for working with an artist when you are paying them is to be as specific as possible. Either that or give the artist free rein and to accept what they draw. There is nothing more annoying then when people really don't know what they want and then want to keep changing your work. It takes a lot of effort to draw and often changing things can be very difficult. It takes more time and effort when it would have been easier if the person had just explained what they wanted. Talk about it with the artist. It is difficult to try and communicate a visual, but it will save both of you time and heart ache. Find examples, provide parts of the script, even do a basic sketch yourself. This will all help narrow down the visual for the artist so they can better fill your request. Some may feel this is a 'restriction on their creativity', but I prefer when the person is happy with my work and I don't have to spend too long on something to get it right ^^' Another thing is to try and find an artist who suits the style you want. Or accept the styles they do. It saves time and the work id usually of a stronger quality.

Edit: Sorry for the mini-rant. Artists are some of the hardest people you will have to deal with. We are very, ah, temperamental in my opinion.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfzau
Projects: Unnamed Commercial Project

#8 Post by Wolfzau »

Personally, I use an artist I found here http://www.conceptart.org/forums/

They have a wide variety of great artists (I, myself received over thirty replies from my post). Just post a link in the small freelance employment forum and you should have people fighting over each other to work on your project.

However if you want an artist for high quality art like the one in your link I'd say you're looking at costs of $50+

This will fluctuate greatly in regards to things like

- number of poses
- expressions
- outfits
- how many characters you want

In the end it all comes down to what you're looking for and what you can afford

Good luck
Last edited by Wolfzau on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#9 Post by KomiTsuku »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: Artists are some of the hardest people you will have to deal if. We are very, ah, temperamental in my opinion.
I completely agree with this statement from the bottom of my soul. Also, where are you all finding these artists who do a good sheet for $30? Please send them my way! I regretfully say that I have grown BITTER and HATEFUL over the years due to my poor dealings with artists. Problems have ranged from 10 months for a single, mid-quality CG to highly overpriced sprites that were of so poor quality that they were unable to be used. Thankfully, things have been improving over the past few months, although I still lack a sprite artist.

Anyway, off my soapbox. The prices mentioned are reasonable under the conditions mentioned. Understand that your mileage may vary from artist to artist. Oh, and since it may have been conceived as sarcastic, I honestly would like a few links. I've got the ones already posted, but if anyone else has some places, feel free to mention them.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#10 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

KomiTsuku wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote: Artists are some of the hardest people you will have to deal if. We are very, ah, temperamental in my opinion.
I completely agree with this statement from the bottom of my soul. Also, where are you all finding these artists who do a good sheet for $30? Please send them my way! I regretfully say that I have grown BITTER and HATEFUL over the years due to my poor dealings with artists. Problems have ranged from 10 months for a single, mid-quality CG to highly overpriced sprites that were of so poor quality that they were unable to be used. Thankfully, things have been improving over the past few months, although I still lack a sprite artist.

Anyway, off my soapbox. The prices mentioned are reasonable under the conditions mentioned. Understand that your mileage may vary from artist to artist. Oh, and since it may have been conceived as sarcastic, I honestly would like a few links. I've got the ones already posted, but if anyone else has some places, feel free to mention them.
Aww, I am sorry you have had such bad experience. I always try to sit in the middle. I support artist's right to work for decent rates and I am uncomfortable when the hourly work/ rate shifts too much, but I also think people should get what is agreed upon and what is paid for. I really am sad that there are artists giving other artists such bad names. I haven't really thought of offering myself for commissions, partially because I was unsure if I was good enough and partially because I was worried that people would demand something I am not capable of. I guess there is stuff on both sides to worry about ^^'

Kazane02

#11 Post by Kazane02 »

Once again, I'm grateful to each and everyone of you, who took the time out to respond in this thread. More Thank you's are sandwiched up there in an earlier post.

Well, I would say, every hiree would want the best bang for their buck, and an artist the best buck for their bang, though I suppose that's clearly understood. *Laughs*

For me, if an artist could produce a piece truly to my utmost satisfaction, it's something worth paying for and I don't see a reason to scrimp on that.

Personally, I'm often very clear on what I want. If I were to pay an artist to do a character, you can be sure I already know how all of them look like in my head. Probably the biggest issue is how to effectively communicate everything in the flair of words, as the reason I would need an artist, is because I'm rather dreadful in the craft myself. *Chuckles*

Once more, thank you kindly for all the replies and resources all of you gave to the thread. It's very much appreciated. :)

Mirage
Veteran

#12 Post by Mirage »

KomiTsuku wrote:

Please don't lump all artists together. =___=;
If you are talking about people who ripped off artists, I have my fair share of story, but I don't go around and say all commissioners suck and out there to rip off artists. Please judge stuff on individual basis. There are some really nice artists and commissioners out there. It really depends on the person. It doesn't depend on whether you are an artist or a commissioner.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#13 Post by Deji »

I've seen sprites from nice artists range from USD$20 to USD$50.
As others said, depending on the quality, you may have to pay more than that. Consider it an investment, as a truly good artist will draw more attention to your game/VN than an average one. ConceptArt.org is a good place to find that kind of artists.

According to this article, japanese companies will pay from $37 to $123 (according to xe.com currency converter) just for the lineart of one character in one pose and one outfit (including several expressions), and about as much for the coloring of said lineart.
Just something to consider~
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#14 Post by papillon »

People of all sorts are flaky; I think we whine most about artists because those are the people we hire most. Try hiring a freelance programmer, musician, writer, etc, and you'll start having stories to tell about them being flaky too. :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Deji wrote: According to this article, japanese companies will pay from $37 to $123 (according to xe.com currency converter) just for the lineart of one character in one pose and one outfit (including several expressions), and about as much for the coloring of said lineart.
Just something to consider~
o.O I like that article. $80-$100 for lineart for one CG (I'm rounding to the hundred, I'm lazy.) $100-$300 for CG colouring. Plus possible royalties and payment for work used in advertisement from $150 to $800. Granted most indie companies won't be expecting to sell as many copies as bigger companies, but still o.O I would spend sooooo much longer on my lineart if I was getting paid even a fraction of that. I wonder if it is common for indie artists to be paid for work used in advertisement?