What is your favorite way for a VN to end?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

What is your favorite way for a VN to end?

#1 Post by Snowflower »

Hmm... I feel like "The Questioner" or something.

But anyway, what was your favorite ending when you played a game? and why?
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: What is your favorite way for a VN to end?

#2 Post by LVUER »

I prefer a VN to end in a happy end. Because I don't like sad or bittersweet ending. Actually, I don't like all ending that less than a happy ending ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#3 Post by pondrthis »

Setting aside all the jokes about "X game" because it was finally over...

I tend not to like true endings. I mean I love the concept, I just don't like how they inevitably play out. When there's a true ending, it's usually to offset a bunch of epic, tragic endings with a happy one. I like tragic, so I end up discounting the true ending somewhat.

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#4 Post by Suikama »

999's ending blew my mind.
too bad the gimmick kind wore off after I read Ever17

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#5 Post by Snowflower »

I too like all happy endings, but sometimes like the true ending as well.

I guess that makes the bad endings my least favorite.

BUT! The real question I wanted answers from all of you was what was your favorite ending (like how did it wrap up?)
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Errr, I don't really understand the question... could you give me some examples?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#7 Post by Snowflower »

I don't know how to give an example.

But like a way in which the story ties together. Like which game it was from, how it was played out, what happened, etc.

Like in Frozen Essence by VenusEclipse, Cain ended up being the traitor, but once you get his ending, you understand his motive. He turned back to the nice self. blah blah blah...

I am really bad at explaining this.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#8 Post by Alera »

I don't like endings in general. :< *LOL*
Yeah, I play so much, I could play a game all day, but I hope I would never reach the ending,especially if it's a game I love. You see- I play to see the end because I'm curious, but then- I don't want it to come. XD *I'm such a weird person*

Anyway! My fav VN ending...hm...hm...agh- why can't think of one right now!? >.<
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#9 Post by Freelancer »

I usually like happy endings. But my favorite endings wrap up everything. Whether it is happy or sad, I can't stand it if it leaves questions or cryptic details, unless it has a sequel. But the series must wrap everything up by the end, otherwise I will never be happy.(It took me a double digit number of years before I came to terms with the ending of NGE, the series, the movie, everything.) I like true endings because they (Are supposed to) do just that, plus it shows how the author wants the story to end, how they had seen it.
My favorite endings are...
(I'll assume we are only talking about VNs cause I think I read that on the top of the page.)
In no particular order...
Fate/stay night-(I'm torn between both of these)Continuation of the dream(Sad, but I still like it), Return to spring(Because of the path leading to it, it felt very...I don't know the word, but it's a positive thing.)
Yume Miru Kusuri-Aeka's(Once again, I'm partial to this end because of the path leading up to it) Nekoko's(Self explanatory)
Yin Yang Exchange Alternative-Miu's ending 2, the one where Kaoru stay's a girl(It's kinda sad that she abandoned her friends to the point were they didn't recognize her, but other than that it seems like a great ending.) I also like the end where Kaoru stayed with that blue haired friend of hers.
Now, to the non-comercial stuff that I found here.
Black Pencil-The ending where she is saved.(It feels like the objective was completed)
Daemonophilia-Wasn't there an ending that kinda lead into what should be a sequel?
Embraced by Green- The true ending where they get together(honestly I think this phrase can be applied to all of the ones on the list. lol)
Gakuen Redux- The ending(It took me a long time to get there but it was worth it.)
Magical Boy-Lara's ending.(Coincidentally this was the first ending, of the first VN I have ever played. It's strange to think it has already been 5 years, but also strange to think it had only been 5 years)
Milk Swim-True ending that is unlocked after getting all the others(I suppose technically it's not an ending but rather an epilogue, but that is the only one I can remember at the moment.)
Moonlight Walks-It's the ending where it is revealed that the narrator was telling this story to his grand daughter(who was named after the ghost)
Senior Year-The British girl's ending.(It felt like the true end)
River trap-I can't remember which ending I liked(or at least what it was called) but I am pretty sure it was one of the ones where the siblings get together. I can't remember the endings since it has been so long.(Plus I never saw that "Extra content" I never had the patience.)
And wasn't there a VN called "Metropolitan Blues"? I swear there was, but I don't seem to have it. I know I loved one of those endings.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#10 Post by SilverxBlue »

I generally like happy and creepy endings, my feelings for true endings are mixed though, it depends on how that true ending turned out and it's up to me if I'd like it or not. (Duh!)
However, Some true endings made me cry. Odd thing is sad endings don't make me cry at all but those true ones do. (It's weird I know)

Since I have played a lot of VNs, I couldn't really give all of my favorites, It's a very long list.

For my favorite True endings maybe; the true ending in Frozen essence and Fantasia the realm of Thanos.

I loved one ending in Text- A summer story by sake visual I think it was called the "Endless ringing." Even if it was so scary. (It creeped me out so much that I ended up not charging my phone for two whole days.)

For KNs that I have played I probably loved the ending of True Remembrance.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

SmileyFace
Regular
Projects: The Chronicle: Elements of Time, Talents, Learning to Love (artist)

#11 Post by SmileyFace »

I like the endings that tie everything together. I love it when different endings actually relate to each other somehow. >w<;

I love the creepy endings. They always give you a warm feeling deep down. :3

aaaaand of course the endings that make you think. The ones that make you want to know more, to learn about all the details and possibilities of the story.

Happy endings are good too...

I've actually hardly played any vns... so I can't really list anything here. :C

clannadman

#12 Post by clannadman »

Does this refer to just VN or endings to novels, films, television, anime in general? I really like an ending that isn't a twist ending right up until the last moment. The film 'The Prestige' ends on a perfect final shot where you realize what's in the warehouse, with Michael Caine repeating lines he stated right at the beginning. It's kind of a feeling of coming full circle but doing it in a witty and clever way so it feels like you've been played for a fool the whole time and now you're finally aware.

Tragic endings that are completely miserable, such as Tess of the D'Urbervilles, work for me since they leave me feeling empty and thinking about fatalism and humanity etc. It's important to have a message and come away with something.

However, I'll always want a happy ending if I really connect with the characters and the story. If it's at the point where I believe these characters are real then of course I'll want them to live and be happy. However, some series have to be bittersweet to establish that this is the way it's supposed to be. Clannad worked as a visual novel but not as an anime, since the reset idea just seemed a little cheap so it's an example of a happy ending not working in a different medium. Maybe this is why I like the semi-twist ending since you think that's it, it's a sad ending, then there's just a small chink of hope. Like when C.C. says 'Right Lelouch?' out loud at the end of Code Geass or when Fuko says 'This is where the fun begins'. Just a little bit of hope left at the end, so it doesn't feel like your favourite story and characters are over with.

Aetheria
Regular

#13 Post by Aetheria »

In general - not just limiting myself to VNs - I enjoy endings where some sort of mystery that's been troubling the characters throughout the whole game/movie/show is finally explained. If there are a lot of mysterious things going on, it's really motivating to finish watching/playing so you can find out what they all mean. I seem to remember that Babylon 5 really reeled me in that way.

But not "twist" endings where you never get the answer to all the mysteries and instead something totally random happens - like The Prisoner. That's just irritating.

Really, though, if you're making a game you should just use whatever ending fits the story best. Sometimes it's happy, sometimes it's sad, sometimes it's enigmatic (but not too enigmatic, please).

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by SusanTheCat »

I like epilogues.

The story ends -- but if you did all the right things you get a little bonus of what happens next.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#15 Post by pondrthis »

An ending should NOT create new conflict or questions like surprise twist endings.

An ending should also NOT (IMO) answer every last question. If it did, all the post-game interpretation goes out the window. Someone mentioned Fate/Stay Night (ironically, the person saying they want all questions answered). At the end of the game, you STILL don't really know about the creation of Archer. How and in which timeline did it happen? That question can be answered in any way, and I happen to favor a long-winded argument that supports the least-likely possibility when taken at face value. If the question was answered, the many hours I spent debating it with friends and thinking through it wouldn't have been possible.

I guess my argument for leaving a bit of mystery can be summed up as "an ending should make for a few more hours spent with the story, outside of reading it directly." Make the reader think, fantasize, reevaluate the plot, or decide to create fanwork. Inspire the reader to somehow continue on with your story until he or she is ready to move on to the next at his/her own pace.