Getting started

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
iikaitlynii

Getting started

#1 Post by iikaitlynii »

So I'm kind of new to this whole thing. I read some of the tutorial but the whole coding thing is really confusing. I was wondering if anyone might be able to give advice or something to kinda push me towards the right direction?

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

Re: Getting started

#2 Post by Lotus »

Did you read the quickstart guide? http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html

The best advice I can give is to mess around with renpy a little bit at a time before trying to make a game, to get familiar with the more basic features beforehand. That's what I did ;)

(disclaimer: I'm not an expert with Ren'py, I'm just relatively comfortable with it now xD; )

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#3 Post by SilverxBlue »

I agree with Lotus on reading the quickstart guide and the whole messing around thing.
And also, if you're confused with the tutorial, you could look at the tutorial's "sample scripts" on its game directory. :)

(I am also no expert, but I'm already used to ren'py.)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Ellume
Regular

#4 Post by Ellume »

The first thing I did to start out was make a 1 minute test game using the art and music from The Question. It pretty much was "Look I'm talking" "Now I'm moving back and forth" "Now there is music" "Look the scene changed" done. Otherwise just messing around trying to do different things is pretty good.