[6.12.2] failure to open offline documentation

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

[6.12.2] failure to open offline documentation

#1 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

with the fresh installation of 6.2.12 I have noticed that when clicking on the Ren'py help button, instead of opening a firefox tab on the doc/index.htm as expected, barf an error message window with this message:
  • Impossibile mostrare «//home/pigi/dati/opt/renai/dev/renpy-6.12.2/doc/index.html».

La posizione non è una cartella.
(yes, in Italian, and seems not from firefox, but from the wm I use)

Of course the first thing I checked are the permissions, but are OK, at least by my standards, and was just installed from the tarball.

as a tentative diagnosis, the second error message "La posizione non e' una cartella" ("the position isn't a folder") led to me suspecting that the error lies in some confusion between Ren'py and FF whose ends detected and signalled by the X environment, causing the drawing of that error window.

Opinions, because the error, as described above, seems not necessarily caused by a Ren'py bug ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

SleepKirby
Veteran
Projects: Eastern Starlight Romance, Touhou Mecha
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

Re: [6.12.2] failure to open offline documentation

#2 Post by SleepKirby »

It works for me in Ren'Py 6.12.2 + Windows 7 + Firefox 3.6. The path in my Firefox URL bar is: file:///C:/Renpy/renpy-6.12.2/doc/index.html

It looks like you're not using Windows, so maybe the problem's specific to that OS?

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

Re: [6.12.2] failure to open offline documentation

#3 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Indeed I'm known for being an irriducible Linux supporter, up to pestering authors for the -Linux and -all release ;) and I'm investigating this bug in my spare time, but I haven't find nothing, at least for now.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio