Ren'Py 6.14 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Ren'Py 6.14 Released

#16 Post by jack_norton »

The one I posted above. I use:

Code: Select all

textbutton "Update" action updater.Update("http://www.winterwolves.net/beta/LorenRPG/") style "no_sel" text_style "no_sel_text" xalign 0.99 yalign 0
maybe I need to link to the json file ?
edit: yes LOL I'm dumb is even written in the documentation!!! sorry, too hot to think clearly :oops: :oops:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by jack_norton »

So far the updater seems to work well, at least on Windows. I've an user with problems on Mac but she's not really expert so can't provide more feedback... in general though seems to give not many problems :)
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

jack_norton wrote:So far the updater seems to work well, at least on Windows. I've an user with problems on Mac but she's not really expert so can't provide more feedback... in general though seems to give not many problems :)
I think I have an idea of how to fix that mac problem. I'm not sure, but I'll try to do something about it in a few days. (It's not mac-specific, just unlikely, if I'm understanding things correctly.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Asking questions

#19 Post by Asking questions »

Sorry, but http://www.renpy.org/dl/6.14.0/renpy-6. ... ce.tar.bz2 still does not build:

WARNING: _renpy is out of date, but RENPY_CYTHON isn't set.
WARNING: _renpybidi is out of date, but RENPY_CYTHON isn't set.
Could not find pysdlsound/sound.pyx.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#20 Post by Blane Doyle »

PyTom wrote:Okay, it looks like for Bane, what's happening is that the connection to the download server is being closed in the middle somewhere. I suspect this is a problem with a (perhaps transparent) proxy, or something like that.

To make editing possible, I've made the various editor packages downloadable from the 6.14 release page.
Agh, I should have known it may have been my connection. It didn't have issues while downloading (and I am not using a proxy to my knowledge), but it does tend to say it is "connected" but then cut out at random moments on my PC.

jEdit worked like a charm! No issues, worked right off the bat.

Editra... not so much. It won't launch through the launcher, but it works perfectly well by itself. Which, I suppose, is acceptable for me at the moment. I don't NEED to specifically go through the launcher to edit scripts right now.

... I don't know why I am the lucky one who has the "honor" of finding these problems... I don't like having to report these things to you at all...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by jack_norton »

Ok now I have a bug or at least, different behavior vs previous version! I call a function like this:

$ affection("Loren")
the function is:

init python:
    def affection(char):
        global Lo_flirt
        global My_flirt
        global Ka_flirt
        global Am_flirt
        global Re_flirt
        global Dr_flirt
        global Ch_flirt
        global Me_flirt
        global luv_name
        global luv_points

show_increase = False

if char == "Loren":
            if Lo_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Lo_flirt += 1
            if Lo_flirt > 5:
                Lo_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Lo_flirt
        elif char == "Myrth":
            if My_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            My_flirt += 1
            if My_flirt > 5:
                My_flirt = 5
            luv_points = My_flirt
        elif char == "Karen":
            if Ka_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Ka_flirt += 1
            if Ka_flirt > 5:
                Ka_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Ka_flirt
        elif char == "Amukiki":
            if Am_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Am_flirt += 1
            if Am_flirt > 5:
                Am_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Am_flirt
        elif char == "Rei":
            if Re_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Re_flirt += 1
            if Re_flirt > 5:
                Re_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Re_flirt
        elif char == "Draco":
            if Dr_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Dr_flirt += 1
            if Dr_flirt > 5:
                Dr_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Dr_flirt
        elif char == "Chambara":
            if Ch_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Ch_flirt += 1
            if Ch_flirt > 5:
                Ch_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Ch_flirt
        elif char == "Mesphit":
            if Me_flirt < 5:
                show_increase = True
            Me_flirt += 1
            if Me_flirt > 5:
                Me_flirt = 5
            luv_points = Me_flirt

luv_name = char

if luv_points <= 5:
            renpy.call_screen("love_plus")
        if luv_points == 5:
            renpy.sound.play("snd/sfx/magic1.ogg",channel=1)

screen love_plus:
    modal True
    timer 4.0 action Return()
    ##  on "Show" action (SetMixer("music",0),Play("voice","snd/recruit.ogg"))
    button:
        background None
        xfill True yfill True
        action Return()
    add "gfx/bossframe.png" at muvet(1.5,.5,1,0,0,.625,.5,1,0,1,1)
    add "gfx/bossframe2.png" at muvet(-1.5,.5,1,0,0,.375,.5,1,0,1,1)
    vbox xcenter .5 ycenter .5 xmaximum 400 ymaximum 250 xfill True spacing -10 at tfadein(1):
        # hbox:
            # add ("gfx/party/p_" + pname + ".png") xcenter .5
            # add ("gfx/party/p_" + luv_name + ".png") xcenter .5
        bar value luv_points range 5 right_bar "gfx/gui/hearts_empty.png" left_bar "gfx/gui/hearts_full.png" xmaximum 300 ymaximum 56 xalign 0.5 thumb None
        null height 20
        text (luv_name+"'s Affection Increased!") size 27 text_align 0.5 xcenter .5 outlines [(3,"#1e1a16")]
The bug that happens is: if you wait to see the screen appear, and then rollback, a new hearts is added (in practice the various flirt += 1 lines). Like I get to 2, rollback, shows 3, then I rollback again and shows 4 and so on. I can get to the max value simply using rollback!
Now, in previous version the bug wasn't present! I just tried recompiling the same identic code, and the bug is not there :shock:
So I'm not sure if is a bug or something wrong in my code but for sure, has different behavior in previous version :) thanks
computer games

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#22 Post by Camille »

Okay, while testing my games, I find that the VNs run from the launcher tend to crash a lot more often now. Like, when I'm hitting the > key to jump to the next choice (using the developer menu), the launched game will crash a lot. (previously, I think the launcher only crashed very rarely—at least for me)

If it'll help, here's the error log my Mac gives me: http://cl.ly/text/2m2k0Z0x0s1C
And this is the log.txt file from Ren'Py: http://cl.ly/text/0U3J242C2h2V

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Camille »

Another problem... Not sure if this is just a Mac issue or not. (though seeing as nobody else has said anything about it, it might be) But when I build distributions, the archiving doesn't work properly. For example, upon running a game (with the image/music/etc files archived), I immediately get this error: http://cl.ly/text/2r1e2e2Q3J2Q The file is definitely there in the game folder before archiving and the game works just fine when I run it from the launcher.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#24 Post by PyTom »

Two things.

1) What does the build section of options.rpy look like?

2) Do you have an archived directory?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Camille »

ARGH okay disregard my second post, I copy-pasted a block of classify commands but spelled "archive" without the i, so... The files were classified as "archve" which is probably why they didn't work. Just fixed that and everything works just fine now. u_u This is what I get for not sleeping, haha... Sorry for the trouble.

Code Monkey
Regular
Projects: Dandelion
Organization: Cheritz

#26 Post by Code Monkey »

Updated to 6.14 and ran across 3 errors, without me changing anything.

1) I think the biggest one is that the game just crashes sometimes without any reason. Never experienced this in any of the previous releases of Renpy. It occurs on two different computers and the logs for each one are different. Both computers are Windows 7 64 bit with Intel graphics cards. I updated the drivers on both computers as well.

There are two more bugs I got with 6.14 but I was able to come up with some alternative solutions around these and they are not as severe as the first one.

2) If you have a BarValue with sound effects that changes the volume of the game, then it instantly crashes the game. It's very easy to reproduce, just use a bar value with this code
Do the play and set volume functions use the same resource and maybe create a race condition? It worked fine in previous versions of Renpy.

def __init__(self, mixer, sound):
            self.mixer = mixer
            self.sound = sound

def set_mixer(self, value):
            renpy.sound.play(self.sound) # <--- this is the culprit
            _preferences.set_volume(self.mixer, value)

def get_adjustment(self):
            return ui.adjustment(
                range=1.0,
                value=_preferences.get_volume(self.mixer),
                changed=self.set_mixer)
3) renpy.play(path, channel=channel) now throws an exception if the file is not found. I guess this isn't really an bug, but rather an improvement in the Renpy, but it was inconvenient since there is no function for find files in archives ahead of this function and you cant catch the thrown IOException.
Attachments
Run time error when playing a movie.
Run time error when playing a movie.
log.txt
Windows 7 64 bit, random crashes and run time errors.
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
log.txt
Windows 7 64 bit, random crashes
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by Code Monkey on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#27 Post by Jake »

Code Monkey wrote: 3) renpy.play(path, channel=channel) now throws an exception if the file is not found. I guess this isn't really an bug, but rather an improvement in the Renpy, but it was inconvenient since there is no function for find files in archives ahead of this function and you cant catch the thrown IOException.
If you really have to, you can find whether a file is in the archive or not by using renpy.list_files.

The easiest way to avoid exceptions when playing music files is to just not play music files that you haven't included in your game. Surely while you're writing your game you also know which music files you've included in the game directory and can just not try and play any that don't exist? If you're playing user-input music files or something, such that you don't know whether they exist at time of writing the code, surely you shouldn't need to look in the archive anyway, since you know the user won't have been able to save their music into your archive?

For what it's worth, the renpy.play method doesn't raise the exception in the first place if developer mode is set to False.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by jack_norton »

Some more feedback from various people testing Loren expansion:
- seems that on Windows most people have trouble running the updater on XP. No clue why honestly, they say it downloads but then can't apply the update so I guess some file permission problem or similar
- quite many problems on Mac, beside the crash I sent you (pytom) by email, another user says: "when I click on the familiar logo in the folder that seems to be the Mac version, it opens an application, but there's only a black screen and one song from the soundtrack plays in an endless loop until I force quit". Asked him the log.txt to see why, it seems some videocard problem to me.
It's quite weird since every time I test on my mac (both Admin and normal User account) everything works fine :shock:
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by jack_norton »

OK now I am able to reproduce the bugs on my Mac too! Really weird:
- few hours ago I try the autoupdater, everything works fine, the game restarts and shows the right version, I can play the game no problem
- Now I retry: I get the warning message that I might have outdated video drivers!! but I didn't change anything :|
- I try to delete the persistent file of the game, and this time starts fullscreen but I see a black screen with music playing. I press F to go back to windowed, and I get this:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Could not set video mode.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 228, in bootstrap
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/main.py", line 342, in main
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/main.py", line 98, in run
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/execution.py", line 266, in run
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/ast.py", line 646, in execute
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/python.py", line 1159, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "common/00library.rpy", line 787, in <module>
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/game.py", line 335, in call_in_new_context
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/execution.py", line 266, in run
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/ast.py", line 646, in execute
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/python.py", line 1159, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 11, in <module>
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/ui.py", line 237, in interact
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/display/core.py", line 1813, in interact
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/display/core.py", line 2092, in interact_core
  File "/Users/celsoriva/Desktop/LorenRPG-1.1h-all/renpy/display/core.py", line 1375, in set_mode
Exception: Could not set video mode.

Darwin-12.0.0-x86_64-i386-32bit
Ren'Py 6.14.0.350
Loren The Amazon Princess 1.1h
- and now, I retry and the game starts without any kind of warning and plays normally!
computer games

NoJoker
Regular
Completed: Sleepless Night series, Soulmates, TIWIWTD, TKABS
Projects: Legend of the Silver Fox, Sleepless Night 3
Deviantart: Massimow
itch: massimow
Discord: Massimo#3596

#30 Post by NoJoker »

I don't know how I managed to break the launcher but I just did. Every time I click on "preferences" this happens:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/preferences.rpy", line 157, in script
  File "game/preferences.rpy", line 53, in python
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xdc in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 266, in run
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1433, in execute
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1446, in call
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\statements.py", line 100, in call
  File "common/00statements.rpy", line 540, in execute_call_screen
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 1521, in call_screen
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1824, in interact
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 554, in replace_transient
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 824, in remove
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 752, in hide_or_replace
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 178, in _hide
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 247, in update
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\screenlang.py", line 1193, in __call__
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1159, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "game/preferences.rpy", line 53, in <module>
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 898, in textbutton
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 448, in __call__
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 1035, in __init__
  File "E:\Programme\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 1080, in set_text
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xdc in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.14.0.350
Ren'Py Launcher 6.14.0.350
Furthermore, when I click on "update" it says that there is a new version (6.14.0.349) but that's obviously an old version.
This never happened before. And I have problems with new games which are created with 6.14 (e.g. Loren, Ristorante Amore German Translation). The games crash after some time without an error message :/

jack_norton wrote:- seems that on Windows most people have trouble running the updater on XP. No clue why honestly, they say it downloads but then can't apply the update so I guess some file permission problem or similar
I also have to run Loren as administrator with Windows 7, otherwise the update stops at some point. Guess it's not that much of a problem, but maybe some people don't know that?