Vista compatability?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zasheir

#16 Post by Zasheir »

Ah, thanks! Now everything works perfectly.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

So I was thinking a bit more about this problem, and I realized that the code path that caused the problem only happens when a .rpy file is recompiled. There was a change in 5.6.5 that makes Ren'Py recompile .rpy files more aggressively, the introduction of the md5-code. (Which, in retrospect, had a bit of a bug in it.)

I've done some testing, and so far, so good. Games written with 5.6.4 and before, that include .rpyc files newer then the corresponding .rpy files, should work fine. (I've tested several games, and they work.)

This is actually fairly good news, as it means that most games should work on Vista. Also, the games that fail are recent, and so that means that it will be easier to work with the authors to fix them, as most recent authors are still around.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#18 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I've done some testing, and so far, so good. Games written with 5.6.4 and before, that include .rpyc files newer then the corresponding .rpy files, should work fine. (I've tested several games, and they work.)
*gulp*
So that means... all ATP games made with Ren'Py work?
- Embraced By Green [5.6.4]
- Ori Ochi Onoe [5.5.4]
- Secretary Of Death [5.4.5]
- Gakuen Redux [5.0.1]

That's great news! :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

Right now, I have only tested Embraced by Green... but yes, I think they should work.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Misuzu
Regular

#20 Post by Misuzu »

Oh yeah ><.

I completely forgot about it when PyTom first brought the Vista thing to my attention that I had already installed Ori, Ochi, Onoe on my Vista box and it played fine. >.<

Maybe I should have paid a bit more attention to details <.<;;.

oliviane

Re: Vista compatability?

#21 Post by oliviane »

hi, i have a problem. I have downloaded the re.py file but i am experiencing difficulty in getting the games Host love and Drawn to you to work. where exactly do i place it? Like in what folder of the host file?i can't place it in the exe file and simply having it in the Host love folder does nothing.

Id appreciate your help. :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by DaFool »

oliviane wrote:hi, i have a problem. I have downloaded the re.py file but i am experiencing difficulty in getting the games Host love and Drawn to you to work. where exactly do i place it? Like in what folder of the host file?i can't place it in the exe file and simply having it in the Host love folder does nothing.

Id appreciate your help. :)
I think it's better to just download a new (Vista-compatible) version of Ren'Py, make new Projects (call them Host Love and Drawn to You), delete the default 'game' folders and replace them with the ones obtained after extracting Host Love and Drawn to You.

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#23 Post by cloudyssky »

I can only say that when I had my old laptop running on Vista, I ran a few VN's and never had a single issue. This was well over maybe a year ago. I'm shocked to learn there are such problems with Vista and Ren'Py working together to be honest. (Don't get me wrong though; I'm aware how terrible Vista is as a whole).
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

Jake
Support Hero

#24 Post by Jake »

cloudyssky wrote:(Don't get me wrong though; I'm aware how terrible Vista is as a whole).
Honestly, it's got a couple of usability problems and its minimum specs were rather ambitious, but anyone who calls Vista 'terrible' has never seen a terrible operating system.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#25 Post by cloudyssky »

Jake wrote:
but anyone who calls Vista 'terrible' has never seen a terrible operating system.
From that article link:
"PC World article dubbed Windows Me the "Mistake Edition"". I laughed so hard.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}