What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

#136 Post by Taleweaver »

This thread is practically not a discussion of the game, but more a discussion thread about "what result did I get in your test"? I feel quite strongly motivated to lock this for being not appropriate for the "Completed Games" forum. Please, everybody, don't discuss your "test results" here.

That much said, it's an interesting premise to use a VN for a test like that one. What motivated you to do something like that, Ookami Kasumi?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#137 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Taleweaver wrote:This thread is practically not a discussion of the game, but more a discussion thread about "what result did I get in your test"? I feel quite strongly motivated to lock this for being not appropriate for the "Completed Games" forum. Please, everybody, don't discuss your "test results" here.
Whoops... Sorry, that was my fault.
-- If you like, you Can move this thread to the Writing discussion forum? I can edit the first entry to suit, and just post another release announcement in the Completed games forum with a note that discussing results goes elsewhere with a link to this thread?
Taleweaver wrote:...It's an interesting premise to use a VN for a test like that one. What motivated you to do something like that, Ookami Kasumi?
The original motivation to create this was to test a different form of Game-Play.
-- I've been haunting the Fallen London online game by FailBetter Games, and pondering on how they set up such a Story-as-Game system, and wondering if it could be reproduced with Renpy. By taking it apart and just looking at the pieces (Story Nexus), it was pretty obvious that Yes, Renpy could do this, and Easily. Too easily in fact. It wouldn't even challenge Renpy's capabilities.

However, I didn't want to reproduce the Story Nexus style of story, I wanted to take their form of story-telling in a broader direction.

Keep in mind that I'm a Story-Teller FIRST, and a game-maker LAST.

To do this, I needed to know their their Base Design; the Core Model they were using; their source of inspiration. What made them think of making a story-game this way? Why didn't they come up with something more like Renpy -- which, to me, is far more logical direction to take with a story.
  • Renpy = Story + Pictures + Sound /divided by/ Characters (dialogue) /divided by/ Story Options.
This was clearly Not the model Story Nexus was using.
-- After a year of playing their games, and digging through their story-crafting essays, I figured out their formula.
  • List of Optional Story-bits --> Story-bit = Flag x (grinding levels) = next Story-bit = Flag x (grinding levels) = End Story-bit.
-- In other words...
  • 1+1= Chapter One, 2+2= Chapter Two, 4+4 = Chapter 3, 8+8 = End
This pattern was hauntingly familiar. I had definitely seen this model before in a far simpler form, but where? I quite literally, jerked awake from a dead sleep and sat up in bed with the answer.
-- Quizilla.

Once upon a time, back before Quizilla was bought out by Nickelodeon, I even made my own Quizilla Game. This one, in fact: "What kind of Fiction should You Write?"

Quizilla's formula:
  • 1+1 = Results 1, 1+2 = Results 2, 1+3 = Results 3
Change this to....
  • 1+1 = Flag 1, 1+2 = Flag 2, 1+3 = Flag 3
-- and you have Story Nexus.

To test my theory, I took all my old research, updated and refined all those old questions and results, and plugged them into Renpy. It Worked. In fact, it worked way better than the original game. With Renpy, I could layer on the flags; some as additive numbers, some as text, then add screens to show the results and totals of those flags. This was something Quizilla wasn't capable of, but Story Nexus was. However, Story Nexus doesn't have the Music and Graphics capability that Renpy always had.

What all this boiled down to was a new way of Thinking in terms of Story as game-play -- for me anyway.

And there you have it. :)
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#138 Post by Taleweaver »

OokamiKasumi wrote:If you like, you Can move this thread to the Writing discussion forum? I can edit the first entry to suit, and just post another release announcement in the Completed games forum with a note that discussing results goes elsewhere with a link to this thread?
That would make it a forum game. And we don't allow forum games...

Do you have a blog outside this forum you could provide for people to give you feedback on their test results?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#139 Post by Sapphi »

Taleweaver wrote: That would make it a forum game. And we don't allow forum games...
Aww, really? :(
I was kind of thinking it was cool to see Kasumi's analysis and suggestions for improvement to the different test-takers here. Seemed to have kind of a writing-workshoppy feel to me rather than a simple "Which anime character are u?!" type of quiz.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#140 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Sapphi wrote:
Taleweaver wrote: That would make it a forum game. And we don't allow forum games...
Aww, really? :(
I was kind of thinking it was cool to see Kasumi's analysis and suggestions for improvement to the different test-takers here. Seemed to have kind of a writing-workshoppy feel to me rather than a simple "Which anime character are u?!" type of quiz.
With all due respect Taleweaver, I take fiction writing Very seriously.
-- I do not play games with writing advice.
Taleweaver wrote:Do you have a blog outside this forum you could provide for people to give you feedback on their test results?
I did consider offering feedback on my blog, but doing so would open assessments to the general public rather than merely the people on this forum. My blog is a high-traffic area. I would get hundreds of request a day rather than only a handful. Way more than I can handle.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#141 Post by KittyKatStar »

Just think of it as OokamiKasumi clarifying the ending we get in the VN. ^^;

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#142 Post by OokamiKasumi »

KittyKatStar wrote:Just think of it as OokamiKasumi clarifying the ending we get in the VN. ^^;
That's exactly what I was doing: clarifying results.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#143 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Awwww, does it mean that this thread is closed for "clarifying results" ? :(
I took the quiz just now, and I'm interested on Oookami's analysis as well :wink:
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#144 Post by OokamiKasumi »

tiya_nofurita wrote:Awwww, does it mean that this thread is closed for "clarifying results" ? :(
I took the quiz just now, and I'm interested on Oookami's analysis as well :wink:
I'm afraid so.
-- Taleweaver seems to think that you guys posting your results and my analysis of it, is playing some sort of 'forum game'.

HienFan
Regular
Projects: Mystic China, Kirei no shojo no yume

#145 Post by HienFan »

Yeah I have to really brush up on my writing skills... Grr this is getting me more and more strained, I read a lot of books although some genre like Gothic I have no idea what they are.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#146 Post by OokamiKasumi »

HienFan wrote:Yeah I have to really brush up on my writing skills... Grr this is getting me more and more strained, I read a lot of books although some genre like Gothic I have no idea what they are.
One of the first things any new writer learns is what their favorite genre is, and how to identify it. (Simply because you can't read your favorite type of story if you can't find it among all the others.) That's favorite is usually the first type of story a new writer tries to write, and that is where they come up with what they need to learn to write a story.

From what I saw of your scores, you haven't yet identified what you want to write, so of course, you don't yet know what you need to learn. In other words, you can't even ask questions because you don't know what questions to ask.

icecheetah
Regular

#147 Post by icecheetah »

I found it interesting that you said Storynexus was an influence because, well, I love Fallen London and some of the other games on there and had wondered if Ren'Py could do something similar to that. So, thank you for answering this with your game.

I hadn't noticed the similarity to Quizilla in Fallen London... it was a lot clearer in this game but it's pretty obvious why.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#148 Post by OokamiKasumi »

icecheetah wrote:I found it interesting that you said StoryNexus was an influence because, well, I love Fallen London and some of the other games on there...
I adore Fallen London.
icecheetah wrote:...I had wondered if Ren'Py could do something similar to that. So, thank you for answering this with your game.
Renpy can definitely do what Story Nexus does, only with larger graphics and Music. :)
icecheetah wrote:I hadn't noticed the similarity to Quizilla in Fallen London... it was a lot clearer in this game but it's pretty obvious why.
I didn't notice the similarity between Fallen London & Quizilla either. Not at first, but something about the way the game was set up was just too familiar.
  • Choose this: 1 pt here
  • Choose this: 1 pt there
  • Choose this: 1 pt the other place
The main difference is that in Quizilla the results of your choices add up to a Result, where Fallen London uses Combinations of results to open new choices.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#149 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Eheh, I'm not sure I got the most useful result. Literature :lol:

Anyway, hopefully, I'll be able to do as it says, and get down with writing! At some point... hopefully.

This was fun. Thanks, OokamiKatsumi.

[edit: I deleted my results, since I just noticed Taleweaver's post.]
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#150 Post by OokamiKasumi »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:Eheh, I'm not sure I got the most useful result. Literature :lol:
The established genres all have fairly standard rules to them -- something a lot of people have a hard time accepting. The quiz was designed to map out the player's tendencies toward one style or another based on which rules they liked to follow.

A result of "Literature" means that you have an tendency to bend, or even break the rules when you compose and write a story. A sure sign of this is a Strong in Novelty. It can also mean that you're not quite sure what it is you want to write. LOL!
redeyesblackpanda wrote:Anyway, hopefully, I'll be able to do as it says, and get down with writing! At some point... hopefully.
I have absolute faith in you. :) Your stubbornness is Legendary. If you turn that to writing, no doubt you will accomplish something quite impressive. (If not shocking.)
redeyesblackpanda wrote:This was fun. Thanks, OokamiKatsumi.
[edit: I deleted my results, since I just noticed Taleweaver's post.]
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
-- Yeah, Taleweaver seems to think that my assessment of people's results is a Forum Game, of some sort. Though how telling people their strengths and weaknesses in writing can be considered a 'game' is beyond me.