Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4036 Post by Applegate »

Police stopped by because of a noisy neighbour, uncover a bag of a Russian lady containing her passport, credit card, and stuff. Here's the kicker: She doesn't live here. And that bag's been there for a day or two.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#4037 Post by Lishy »

Lishy wrote: Recorded the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9OklxF_tHw
Please, help!

Would this sound be a "click of death"? Isn't the click of death more of a thumping sound, of banging on the side? Whereas this is a vibration, like something wobbling?
-

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#4038 Post by JumpJump »

Lishy wrote:Well, I talked to the repair guys at Micro Bytes, and they said $45 for a diagnostic (to open the laptop and look at problem). Then there is the cost to repair, and the cost to buy new hardware itself.

Worth it? I don't know whether or not it's a decent deal...
Did you try what I suggested? If you can rule out what I said and your fan is making that noise all the time and not just from sleep mode, then your fan needs replacing.
JumpJump wrote:Download speedfan and write down the speed of the fan when there is no noise. Then take another when the noise is present. Lets start from there. No need to take apart the laptop unless you 100% need to. It could be that the fan is spinning really fast to cool itself after sleep mode. You see the things are still running on your laptop when put in sleep mode, but not the cooling. If after some time the noise go's, it just could be that.
If you want me to give you a step by step, I could do that.
Rinima wrote:
Lishy wrote:Well, I talked to the repair guys at Micro Bytes, and they said $45 for a diagnostic (to open the laptop and look at problem). Then there is the cost to repair, and the cost to buy new hardware itself.

Worth it? I don't know whether or not it's a decent deal...
Ahh, I've had this problem myself.
Honestly, from personal experience, no, not really. They installed a new fan and it still can't handle the heat for my laptop (though it is a little better, but it still give me burns if I have in on my knee).

Never worth it. I've been passed laptops in the past from people hoping I could fix them. Fan noise was the most common problem. I was passed one and the girl told me that there was a clicking sound and repair guys said that it was a faulty HDD and would need a nice wad of cash to repair. As the repair place was at her uni and the holidays where coming up, they couldn't do anything until they came back. After looking at it, I found what the real problem was: A poorly designed fan.
Lishy wrote:Recorded the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9OklxF_tHw
I'm trying my best to of what to make of this. As there is no before or after, the severity of the problem may not be showing itself to me. I will say that I have heard some horrendous fans (the one I spoke of before was shocking), yours sounds a little slow.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Delta m.m
Regular

#4039 Post by Delta m.m »

Lishy wrote:It happens whenever I boot from sleep mode on linux.
JumpJump wrote:Download speedfan
Well "Speedfan" doesn't support Linux, but maybe you're duel booting with Windows?
If you want to read the fan's speed on Linux you should install and configure lm-sensors, you can search for guides about it for your particular distro.
But I think as long as your laptop's not overheating, you don't have to worry about it, until the fan stops spinning entirely that is.

I think first priority should be making sure that there's no problem with the HDD, PMed you about how to do it using the data from your S.M.A.R.T system.

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#4040 Post by JumpJump »

Delta m.m wrote:Well "Speedfan" doesn't support Linux
I saw Linux, but I didn't SEE Linux. My bad.
Delta m.m wrote:But I think as long as your laptop's not overheating, you don't have to worry about it, until the fan stops spinning entirely that is.
I second this.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#4041 Post by Lishy »

Update: I can confirm the sound is coming from the FAN, and not the HDD. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the HDD is fused with the Disk Drive in an ASUS K53SV. However, the sound is coming from the top left, where the fan is.

I still don't know what's wrong, but I do know where the sound is coming from now.

Like I said, I only hear the sound sometimes, and most importantly, never when I'm running high-process applications.. So, eh.
Attachments
comp_circuit.jpg
-

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4042 Post by Rinima »

Lishy wrote:Like I said, I only hear the sound sometimes, and most importantly, never when I'm running high-process applications.. So, eh.
Don't bother replacing it then. You only need to start worrying when your laptop starts to crash because it's over-heating.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#4043 Post by Hijiri »

Rinima wrote:
Lishy wrote:Like I said, I only hear the sound sometimes, and most importantly, never when I'm running high-process applications.. So, eh.
Don't bother replacing it then. You only need to start worrying when your laptop starts to crash because it's over-heating.
Wouldn't it be better to replace the fan BEFORE that happens?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#4044 Post by thebackup »

Surprised nobody said this yet:

I hope you have your data backed up. Yeah, it's just the fan, but still.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#4045 Post by Lishy »

thebackup wrote:Surprised nobody said this yet:

I hope you have your data backed up. Yeah, it's just the fan, but still.
Don't worry, Bells is pretty well backed up on my handy external HDD, with our script on the cloud. :lol:
-

Delta m.m
Regular

#4046 Post by Delta m.m »

Hijiri wrote:
Rinima wrote:Don't bother replacing it then. You only need to start worrying when your laptop starts to crash because it's over-heating.
Wouldn't it be better to replace the fan BEFORE that happens?
If it starts crashing then that's Too Much overheating.
Simply put:
-Fan is working, Laptop not overheating: no need to worry.
-Fan is working, laptop overheating, but not too much: replace it ASAP (if it was the problem, maybe it just needs cleaning, maybe it's software issues that can or can't be fixed -especially on Linux-).
-Fan stopped working completely/laptop Crashing because it's overheating: It's a dangerous situation, stop using the laptop until you replace the fan (and if you MUST use it, then make sure it's been off long enough to cool down, then use it -At Your Own Risk- for a very short time, without heavy tasking.)

And better monitor the heat of your system using software, simply touching it from the outside is not enough.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#4047 Post by naqlada »

Applegate wrote:Police stopped by because of a noisy neighbour, uncover a bag of a Russian lady containing her passport, credit card, and stuff. Here's the kicker: She doesn't live here. And that bag's been there for a day or two.
Ah.... Humanity ._.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4048 Post by Taleweaver »

Bought a new couch this Tuesday and a new carpet for my living room today. Spent way too much money on both.

Just now, going down to the living room to find the couch scratched by my cat and the very same cat in the act of pulling threads out of the carpet.

Why don't I just burn that money in the first place -_-
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#4049 Post by Lishy »

One more thing about my laptop: It only makes the sound when it stands on a flat surface. If for example I hold it up, or tilt it, it does not make the sound.

I am 101% positive it is coming from the fan. But since it only makes the sound when on a flat surface.. not sure how worried I should be, or not?
-

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4050 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Fix it, if only to relieve stress.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.