Greetings. Also, non-Ren'ai Ren'Py

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Linedhel

Greetings. Also, non-Ren'ai Ren'Py

#1 Post by Linedhel »

Hello.

First, thanks for the software. If not for Ren'Py, I'd be struggling with nscripter. It seemed daunting. Also didn't seem to work on Vista (which is all my laptop has--damn you, Vista).

Second, I regret missing what was apparently a Ren'Py panel at Otakon '07. I blame the schedule being inaccurate in a dozen places, and Fate/Stay Night coming on at the same time. I am, alas, a Type-Moon fanboy. I couldn't miss dragging my friends to see it.

Finally, what is the opinion of those here on using Ren'Py for something which is really unrelated to ren'ai? On these forums, I find it uncertain. I'm planning on constructing a visual novel of fairly epic proportions, with the help of a number of friends (my friends happen to include musicians, artists, and writers, and I myself am a programmer/writer--though I don't know Python). However, I can't write romance. Really. At all. And I don't plan on including any. My writing resembles something more out of Berserk than Kanon, if you see what I mean (or cross Berserk with BLAME!). In familiarizing myself with the engine, and how difficult/simple it would be to simply start using it, I spent today doing just that. And sometime late in the evening, I finished a small game. If people would be interested in reading a short NVL sans romance (and art--I'm just a writer, recall), I'll place it wherever is most appropriate.

dreamer

Re: Greetings. Also, non-Ren'ai Ren'Py

#2 Post by dreamer »

aka lordcloudx not logged in: sounds good to me. I doubt anyone would have problems with that. You'll find that the renai archives http://www.renai.us hosts a variety of ren'py games with or without the romance. I'm also speaking as one who doesn't really involve romance in most of his stories.

Oh and before Mikey beats me to it, welcome to the forums! :D

Linedhel

#3 Post by Linedhel »

Thanks. In that case, here.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

I have a hard time with romance too, so you're not the only one ^^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

[quote="Linedhel"]Second, I regret missing what was apparently a Ren'Py panel at Otakon '07. I blame the schedule being inaccurate in a dozen places, and Fate/Stay Night coming on at the same time. I am, alas, a Type-Moon fanboy. I couldn't miss dragging my friends to see it.
[quote]

There wasn't a Ren'Py panel at Otakon. The name of the panel I proposed to them was listed in the list of panels in the schedule by accident, but the panel was not one of the accepted ones, and according to the info desk the panel was cancelled.

(The whole panels department of Otakon was fairly screwed-up this year.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom