Pygame_SDL2 needs a (snake) logo artist.

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Pygame_SDL2 needs a (snake) logo artist.

#1 Post by PyTom »

So, for the past few weeks, Patrick Dawson and myself have been working on Pygame_SDL2, a port of the pygame API to SDL2. This is technology that is needed for Ren'Py iOS support, and will also enable a large number of other interesting features. So I feel reasonably comfortable asking for some artistic help here:

We're going public with this project relatively soon, and it would be nice to have a proper logo for it.

The logo of pygame is a yellow snake, holding a game controller. You can see it in the Ren'Py logo, but here's the original(?) version:

I'd like an original logo for our new project. My current thinking is that if the SDL1-based pygame has a snake as its logo, SDL2-pygame should have two snakes in its logo. Specifically, I think it should:

* Have two snakes in it.
* One should be the pygame snake, holding an SNES controller, representing traditional gaming platforms.
* The second snake should be holding a smartphone in its mouth, representing new mobile platforms.
* Be scalable down from 512x512. That's a reasonable size to scale down from, and sites like Github require project logos be square.
* The snakes should be cartoony, rather than realistic - we don't want to scare people away. And it should be as clean as the existing logo.

In addition:

* If one could make the new snake female, without making it stereotypically so, that would be good - pygame and python are often taught to people as a first language, so being inclusive would be nice. OTOH, I don't know what that would look like.
* The logo shouldn't include words, since it will mostly be used next to a texual name.

The logo will need to be liberally licensed - probably CC-BY, without NC/SA. That's the closest match to the license pygame_sdl2 will be under. That's because it will likely be included in projects under all sorts of licenses.

If you're interested in taking this on, please let me know. I'd need it some time in the next few days, since I think it's reasonable to make an announcement of pygame_sdl2 this weekend.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom