I saw a ghost!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: I saw a ghost!

#61 Post by LVUER »

JQuartz wrote:
LVUER wrote:"In my daily life, dealing (meeting, seeing, etc) with ghost happened quite often (although I never experience it directly, like my early post states), the victims are people around me. So I could say I experience them second hand, and quite often."
The problem with second hand information is that they're generally inaccurate. Other than that there's also the problem with third-(or fourth-... etc) hand information disguised as first hand information.
I agree with that. Though my source is quite accurate and credible, but oh well, let's leave at that.
JQuartz wrote:Though I'm a believer, I seldom will believe any supernatural phenomena that I didn't experience first-hand and analysed it (seeing alone isn't good enough for me).
Due to my luck that I mentioned previously, I almost have no chance to see it by my own eyes even it happened in the same room I slept! I have seen a particular "scene", only briefly though, but that's more than enough for me to believe (I have my own reason but because of several reasons, I'd like to keep this a secret).
Well, I lied. Still half believe it but I didn't get in any deeper because of some reasons
And, seeing is ENOUGH for me, since I don't want to experience it firsthand ^_^

Jake
Support Hero

#62 Post by Jake »

azureXtwilight wrote: 1. Don't mix ghost and religion, you know. Faith is something we just believe ... For those who want to believe, then believe.
2. ghost stuff ... let those who believe, believe.
So... aren't they the same thing? "Let those who believe, believe"?

Seriously - "Faith" is not the same thing as "Believing in God". Faith is the irrational belief in something, it could be anything - God, ghosts, that you'll die if you step on the cracks in the pavement, that the Government loves you and does only what's best for you... 'faith' is what we call it when someone believes something without having any evidence to support that belief. It's the opposite of science, where someone believes something only when they have evidence to support it.

So you need faith to believe in God, because there's no way Science could ever prove or disprove the existence of God. But you also need faith to believe in ghosts, because there's currently no proper scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Sin
Veteran

#63 Post by Sin »

I couldn't had put it better myself, Jake.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#64 Post by azureXtwilight »

Jake wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote: 1. Don't mix ghost and religion, you know. Faith is something we just believe ... For those who want to believe, then believe.
2. ghost stuff ... let those who believe, believe.
So... aren't they the same thing? "Let those who believe, believe"?

Seriously - "Faith" is not the same thing as "Believing in God". Faith is the irrational belief in something, it could be anything - God, ghosts, that you'll die if you step on the cracks in the pavement, that the Government loves you and does only what's best for you... 'faith' is what we call it when someone believes something without having any evidence to support that belief. It's the opposite of science, where someone believes something only when they have evidence to support it.

So you need faith to believe in God, because there's no way Science could ever prove or disprove the existence of God. But you also need faith to believe in ghosts, because there's currently no proper scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say

EmmieSailor

#65 Post by EmmieSailor »

Well, i cant say i have seen a ghost myself but my mum has and my brother in law has.

mums story -

My Nanna past away in 1997 and the night after the funeral my mother swears that when she was lieing in bed that she saw her mum (my nanna) walk past her bedroom and walked into my bedroom and watched me as i sleeped. (my bedroom is opposite my mothers). I like to think that my Nanna is my guardian angel. :D

Brother in law story -

Ohk, i hope i get this correct. My brother in law works at a raaf base, and he use to work with the dogs ( you know the ones that attack the bad guys :? ) well he was working late one night and took one of the most nastiest dogs outside to patrol the perimetre of the base. There was fog, and it was cold - you know the perfect setting for something scary to happen. Anyways, at one particular part of the base, theres this old shed where a longgg time ago someone hanged themself. As they walked past the shed, my brother in law (BIL - shortened) felt this odd presence behind him - not knowing who or what it was. As he was a bit freaked out, he yelled out that he was going to release this dog of the chain, as the dog was all fired up and wanted to attack this thing that was around them. Nothing happened, so my BIL yelled out again and tried to contact anyone on the walkie talkie but there was only static. So at this point in time, its night, alot of fog, there was something creepy around, the dogg was barking its head off trying to go after this thing and there was no one to contact as the walkie talkie was producing static. So BIL let the dog of the chain in which it ran as fast as it could and out of sight. once he found the dog he noticed that the dog was quiet and shaking - rather odd considering it was the most nastiest and frightening dogs on the base.

I havent heard that story in awhile but im pretty sure i got the majority of the details he told me. Freaked me out when i heard it :? :|

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#66 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hey, is that true that animals can feel the presence of ghosts?

You know, when they say that dogs howl when they see ghosts....

Sin
Veteran

#67 Post by Sin »

I heard they can smell fear.

EmmieSailor

#68 Post by EmmieSailor »

i would have no idea at all. freaky if they did. :?
Aim for the moon, even if you miss you fall amongst the stars.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#69 Post by bloodywyvern »

I heard dogs are in communication with Martians, and have inside jokes about us humans. Honestly, any sentence beginning with "I heard" is usually a bad thing to use as a specific example. Dogs may in a sense be able to smell fear, well at least the reaction to it. Fear is a feeling, and therefore can not be identified by something like smell. When you're scared though, it would be normal to sweat and have other body reactions that could give off a specific scent to dogs.

As for sensing ghosts...you have to prove they exist before you can debate whether or not they can sense them :/
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Jake
Support Hero

#70 Post by Jake »

bloodywyvern wrote: Fear is a feeling, and therefore can not be identified by something like smell.
Fear - like all 'feelings' - is a chemical reaction, and sometimes chemical reactions have external consequences. Some mammals emit pheromones when they're frightened in order for their fellows to pick up on it without having the see the danger for themselves, for example.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#71 Post by bloodywyvern »

I believe that was the collective point of my post. That fear itself, is not capable of being detected by scent, but the consequences of such are.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Jake
Support Hero

#72 Post by Jake »

bloodywyvern wrote:I believe that was the collective point of my post. That fear itself, is not capable of being detected by scent, but the consequences of such are.
You were making some distinction between 'the feeling of fear' and 'the chemical process of fear'. What I'm saying is that that distiction is entirely fictional.

Sin
Veteran

#73 Post by Sin »

For clarity's sake, I was being facetious.