Audio Composition Dumpage Circle! Show your inspiration ^^

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

Re: Audio Composition Dumpage Circle! Show your inspiration ^^

#46 Post by yummy »

I'm impressed too :o
I really like how good the instruments are. Man, I think I've always searched for something like this. I think it's time I invest into this one as well :)

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#47 Post by Blue123 »

Heh. I'm quite lucky to have come across this, the first time I encountered it was when a fellow composer showcased a couple of his pieces to me. I actually did mistake it for an actual orchestra somehow, and then he told me about the Virtual Instrument.

To buy stuff of these guys and use it, you generally need...
-Big computer.
-Big hard drive.
-Big wallet.
(Lulz)

GraMana
Regular

#48 Post by GraMana »

Blue123 wrote:Heh, I do write music but currently am too poor to afford any VSTs etc. so I can't export my stuff as audio. In the meantime, I'll give you the first few bars of the score to my last project:

And don't steal anything!
Heh, I was kind of curious as to how this sounded, so I ended up sequencing it :P. It's not totally accurate (partially because the words and stuff are too small to read :shock:), but I think it get's the idea across ;).

Here's the linky.

Rendered using the stock library that comes with Logic 8.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#49 Post by yummy »

Wah that's really great :)
Thank you Gramana, I was pondering if I would do the same thing one day but you saved me :p

Blue123, your composition is totally epic. I mean, there's this army march feeling, somehow it reminds me of the Valkyrie legends.
You could really use this as a selection screen background theme for an action game like Valkyrie Profile :D

Nicol Armarfi
Regular
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Circular Gate, Broken Sky
Projects: Katawa Shoujo, The Circular Gate, Driftwood, Escape from Puzzlegate
Organization: 4LS

#50 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Surprised I didn't find this thread sooner, definitely my kind of stuff. Everybody's music is looking good so far, I'm impressed to find this much talent around here, as I was previously noticing a huge lack of composers D:.

Anyway, I guess I'll show some of my older stuff:

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/Message.mp3 <--- Very early attempt at electronic music, failed hard and turned it into some form of fusion

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/sonata/movement3.mp3 <--- Third movement of my second piano sonata, one of my favourite piano pieces to date, still a little lacking though

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/misc/toccata.mp3 <--- Piano solo toccata, inspired by Prokofiev's toccata in D minor

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/misc/nocturn2.mp3 <--- My second Nocturne for solo piano

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/misc/~Last%20Stand~.wma <--- I honestly do not even remember what the hell this is; I think it was supposed to be a battle theme or something...

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/Allegro%20Molto.MID <--- I don't know what this is either, I must've used it to practice drums and bass or something

...Anyway, I guess that's all at the moment. Most of this is from 3-4 years ago, Message however was done in late 2007. My more recent stuff can be found on my website: http://nicol.chendo.net/.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by yummy »

I'm amazed at how much talented people are gathering there :D
Nicol, your compositions are really good (surprised I didn't listen to your tracks sooner).
Your bass technique is quite good! I just can't feel dynamics when it comes to create a bass track T_T
I prefer your piano compositions though, maybe because they seem less... Messy ? There's this instrument volume issue about the songs you create (maybe it's just related to your composition tool).
Apart from that, your melodies are really, really good.
They're airy, very soothing. That's quite different from my style (which is too dark I fear).
Maybe could you tell us if any composer or any music style influenced you ?

By the way, I just finished a song. It's somehow dance/trance/whatever.
There.

Nicol Armarfi
Regular
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Circular Gate, Broken Sky
Projects: Katawa Shoujo, The Circular Gate, Driftwood, Escape from Puzzlegate
Organization: 4LS

#52 Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Heh, thanks. These pieces were all done in Finale, which is really, really not meant for sampling. It's just used to create notation, so it doesn't exactly have the best options to make your stuff sound better. These are all in the past, though. With my newer stuff I use software samplers like FL Studio to make music, alongside Finale (which is still my preferred synthesizer).

Also, bass instruments are tricky to write for since they are generally very quiet and the lower their tone gets, the harder it is to distinguish their sound. You just need to practice a bit, but you should be able to get it down eventually.

I'm influenced by a lot of composers, actually. My four main influences would probably have to be Chopin, Prokofiev, Uematsu Nobuo (of Final Fantasy fame), and AKHT (a somewhat known amateur Japanese composer, you should check out his stuff sometime).

Also, I listened to your new music. It's very nice, and every meshed together very well. The atmosphere started off perfectly and blended in with the next part of it when the percussion came in flawlessly. I commend you :)!

I guess I might want to show some of my newer stuff now, anyway D:... Here's one of my newer pieces that goes somewhere along the same lines as our last song:

http://nicol.chendo.net/music/Sine.mp3 <--- Electronic music made with FLStudio 8, one of my better attempts at this genre. The ending is a little abrupt, though, which is something I really need to work on.

EDIT: Just noticed the version of Sine I had uploaded on my FTP was an old version, so I uploaded the complete version.
Last edited by Nicol Armarfi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue123
Veteran

#53 Post by Blue123 »

To GraMana and Yummy, thank you for the compliments and appreciating my music.

And to Nicol, your pieces sound really good. I can't think of anything beyond Yummy's compliments to say, but I'm still posting to congratulate you on your fine music. And finale, eh? I use Sibelius, myself, with a copy of East West/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver. I have FL Studio 8 but I can't work it for the life of me...

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Cybeat »

Hey, I haven't been here for a while. Nice music you guys composed. Since I'm here, I'll display my strange styled ambient music.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/0746ec39-1670 ... ty-Society
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

GraMana
Regular

#55 Post by GraMana »

Here's a fun little micro-remix I've did, as sort of a birthday present for our new art guy. Hope you catch the reference ;)!

Zam

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#56 Post by Samu-kun »

Whaaa... A cross of the birthday song and Megumeru? XD

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by yummy »

Haha, that's exactly what I thought too :D
Nice Remix ^^

Blue123
Veteran

#58 Post by Blue123 »

ZaZaZaZaZaZaZa

Some good work there. Quite an interesting remix, and also quite pleasurable to hear.

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#59 Post by Mihel »

Man, I really wish dizzcity would come back and make Mission to China. Not only would it be an awesome game in general, but I really wanted to write the music!

I had a very Old Oriental/Gregorian Chant vibe all lined up. This was a demo I made in GarageBand (with some help from Finale) not long after I saw the idea for MtC.

(Also, one of these days I'll sit down and flesh out some of my non-"epic" pieces... like the stuff I have lying around left over from Wedding Vows... man, what happened to you dizzy?!)
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#60 Post by dizzcity »

I'm back! :) What a strange coincidence that just as I finally gain free time again to work on Wedding Vows, you post this, Mihel. ^^

Sorry I've been away so long - started working in my first job in the game industry... exhausted every night when I come back and drained of all creative energy.

But yes, I'm back. And I don't care how long it takes, but I'm definitely going to finish Wedding Vows. By hook or by crook.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).