Strange side image appearance

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Triority
Regular
Completed: Welcome To... Chichester 0, 1,2 OVN 1, OVN 2, OVN 3, No Regrets For The Future
Projects: Welcome To... Chichester series
Organization: Triority
Tumblr: Sku-te
itch: triority
Discord: sku_te

Strange side image appearance

#1 Post by Triority »

One oddity I'm having is that in a couple of places in my VN the side image for a character suddenly appears for a line and then disappears. I can't replicate the problem, but it has happened to two people so far. Apparently it is something to do with loading a save file, from what I've been told

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Strange side image appearance

#2 Post by m_from_space »

You may want to update your Renpy SDK to the latest nightly fix via the update button in the GUI and then ship a new version of your game to those players. Maybe this will fix the problem, there were some issues with side images in the past. (But it still could be a bug.)

Triority
Regular
Completed: Welcome To... Chichester 0, 1,2 OVN 1, OVN 2, OVN 3, No Regrets For The Future

#3 Post by Triority »

Might be an idea. I can't replicate it myself, although two other people have.

Triority
Regular

#4 Post by Triority »

I did add a check to make sure the sayer did exist, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Will have to try upgrading and see if that helps. The annoying thing is I don't get it.

Apparently, it could be a bug with loading a saved game just before a scene to transition

Triority
Regular

#5 Post by Triority »

I believe I've fixed it with :

if (who and what) and not renpy.variant("small"):

in screen say.