Surface alphas crash

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Fawkes - Feathered Melody
Regular

Surface alphas crash

#1 Post by Fawkes - Feathered Melody »

I have a problem that I think I have been able to consistently trigger.

In the middle of a transition, I right-click or use the escape button to try and bring up the menu.

Code: Select all

label start:

# The save_name variable sets the name of the save game. Like all
    # variables declared outside of init blocks, this variable is
    # saved and restored with a save file.
    $ save_name = "Chapter 1"

# Act 1 Start
    *scene black with fade

$renpy.music.play("ch1_1.ogg", fadein=2)

show text "{i}What happens when we all stop dreaming?{/i}" with dissolve
    $ renpy.pause(4.5)
Line 105 is marked with an asterisk. with the scene "black" declared to be a completely black background.

image black = Solid((0, 0, 0, 255))
Traceback is as follows:

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Exception: Surface alphas do not match.

While running game code:
 - script at line 105 of C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\Noctua/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 138 of renpy-6.7.0/common/00library.rpy.
 - script at line 309 of renpy-6.7.0/common/_layout/classic_load_save.rpym

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 222, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\main.py", line 313, in main
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\ast.py", line 861, in execute
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\exports.py", line 636, in with_statement
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 1152, in do_with
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 1289, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 1760, in interact_core
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\layout.py", line 583, in event
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 174, in event
  File "renpy-6.7.0/common/00library.rpy", line 138, in invoke_game_menu
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\game.py", line 272, in call_in_new_context
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.7.0/common/_layout/classic_load_save.rpym", line 311, in <module>
  File "renpy-6.7.0/common/_layout/classic_load_save.rpym", line 294, in _file_picker
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\ui.py", line 58, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 1289, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 1564, in interact_core
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 939, in show
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\render.py", line 224, in render_screen
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\render.py", line 134, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\layout.py", line 434, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\render.py", line 134, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\transition.py", line 289, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\module.py", line 103, in pixellate
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Lord_Fawkes\My Documents\Project 5487 - The Boy Who Loved Crows\renpy-6.7.0\renpy\display\module.py", line 58, in convert_and_call
Exception: Surface alphas do not match.

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.7.0c
Any assistance would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
Writer / Programmer
Crows Project: Released 12/15/07
Noctua: In Development. Demo 3 released.
Project Silk Road: Planning/Story Construction
"Live while awake. Live while dreaming."
We have a [new] website again!

Dusty
Regular

Re: Surface alphas crash

#2 Post by Dusty »

I think it's complaining because you're fading in from a blank screen. Try

scene black with None
and see if it goes away.

Aenakume
Regular
Projects: Arts... i hate arts -_-

#3 Post by Aenakume »

This may be unrelated to what is causing your problem... but if you want a black background, why not use: image black = "#000f"?
“You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you cannot make him think.”

#4 Post by Guest »

Thanks. Setting it to None worked perfectly.