How many people here likes kinetic novels?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Vector_matt

Re: How many people here likes kinetic novels?

#31 Post by Vector_matt »

I prefer being able to make choices, but if they're well written I have no problem with KN's.
lunasspecto wrote:when I feel like the protagonist has different motivations for making a choice than I do, I start to feel disconnected from the story.
This will kill anything for me. If I think the main character is behaving like a colossal arse I will quit playing/reading/whatevering (unless there's a chance that the character will die spectacularly, but sadly, that doesn't happen often).

Jake
Support Hero

#32 Post by Jake »

Wintermoon wrote:Most of the novels I read have no choices, no sound and no pictures. None of these things are necessary. Put choices (and sound and pictures) in if you want, but worry about writing a worthwhile novel first.
It's rare for me to agree with Wintermoon completely, but this time I do. If it's a good story, I don't care about not having any choices; if it's not a good story, gimmicks like interactivity won't save it.

A dating-sim-style game obviously benefits from a high degree of meaningful interactivity. A first-person perspective can be enhanced, to my mind, by a high degree of meaningful interactivity, which leads to immersion when done well.

But if anything, if the interactivity isn't meaningful then I'd almost rather not have it, most of the time, since it gets in the way of the story for no good reason. Choices which don't change anything are more annoying to me than not having choices at all.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

grim_reaper
Regular

#33 Post by grim_reaper »

I must say that I prefer to read kinetic novel. actually I'm okay with some choices,but,too much choices and I hate it.and worse,if the choice don't make any difference.
I prefer to be just a reader than a player,cuz long time before I read VNs and KNs,I read novel books.it doesn't matter whether the protagonist has different argument than me.
Duwe mungsuh siji kakehan. Duwe kanca sewu, kurang.
(Having one enemy is too much. Having a thousand of friends is not enough.)

vaiol123

#34 Post by vaiol123 »

Ikka wrote:Do you prefer Kinetic Novels, or Semi-Kinetic Novels with only one or two choices in them? Tell me your opinions!
Neither. I like games with an intricate story that allows me to have many endings and see the characters evolve in different ways. Otherwise, its boring

GudServo

#35 Post by GudServo »

i think it all comes down to the quality of music arts and story thats all that matter even if it is a Kinetic novel it can have an impact if its a good quality novel
but i think most people prefer interactivity but for me i dont like multiple ending i mean when u write a story u focus on few character that are ur protagonist and i cant think of any but my protagonist another important character is antagonist well so i like static stories not with many endings
It is really unwise to think u r wise