Metropolitan Blues - Released

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#46 Post by mikey »

Taleweaver wrote:I really think it was a good decision to give the entire directing into the hands of someone else.
Well, I was just going to ask about that. So your team is the first one to have separated actual game direction from scriptwriting. Respect. I'd say it worked because as you said, Kikered had full control. So for MB you didn't choose the graphics yourself? (I mean the raw ones).

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#47 Post by Kikered »

Well, the source materials provided came with a dozen or so pictures that could be used as BGs once they were resized and filtered. Picking which ones to use, however, was up to me. :?

As for the filtered/unfiltered typewriter transition, the idea came up when eclipse commented that the sudden appearance of the unfiltered image was pretty abrupt. :P

Again, constructive criticism is good. Thanks for the comments so far and keep them coming, everyone! :wink:
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#48 Post by Taleweaver »

We got ourselves some more constructive criticism:

http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?s ... try3904459
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#49 Post by mikey »

Well, it's more or less what you can expect these days at mtdsvn, viewed very much from the graphics point of a community that has become increasingly centered on Japanese works. The posts remind me just why I never review or forcedly play RPGs - because I simply don't like them. I don't have to tell the world that to me they're all crap and a waste of everything. Plus the debate about why amaterur games aren't professional... well, it just boils down to the above point. You have to understand and even like the concept (here: fan-made ren'ai), then you'll be able to appreciate it.

Still, putting on the mod filter there are some good suggestions for Ren'Py such as volume and clearing the screen, which are standard in most game engines. As for story comments and descriptions... it's a matter of taste, really - at a certain time I was used to novels with many descriptions, then I found some really non-descriptive ones and it took me a while to adjust. But then you start to apprieciate those (I did), so it all depends on the flexibility of the person. Plus, with VNs I was happy that I actually could put in much less (if any) descriptions at all, because the images showed the surroundings for me. The typewriter is already a classic ^_^.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#50 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:Well, it's more or less what you can expect these days at mtdsvn, viewed very much from the graphics point of a community that has become increasingly centered on Japanese works.
(And one in which people who aren't the moderator are made increasingly unwelcome.)
Still, putting on the mod filter there are some good suggestions for Ren'Py such as volume and clearing the screen, which are standard in most game engines.
Volume should be coming with the sound rewrite in 5.1. Clearing the screen is already in Ren'Py (middle-click), but it was disabled in MB for various reasons.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#51 Post by rioka »

Don't like it at all though: nose and mouth too big and placed too low IMO
Hmmm, so I guess it would've been alright if I made her just like every other anime girl with a small mouth... Oh well, to each their own. Some like Picasso and some like Van Gogh. I happen to like them all so... :shrugs: What can you do? Heh.... Maybe one day I'll make the usual big-eyed, small-mouthed, airbrushed and shiny CGed female character, put her in a glaringly detailed game, and ask olf for his opinion. ;D

But anyways, it was an honest opinion and I appreciate it.

Personally, I find all that airbrushed, sparkling-clean look of Japanese VNs a tad too common IMO. What happened to the cracks in the wall? The uneven streets? Litter on the sidewalk? Characters who have characteristic features differentiating them from others aside from their clothes, differences in their hair and eye color, height, or body-weight/type? ...lol Excuse me. Just had to get that off my chest. ^^;

Anywhooo, do you guys think graphics should be stepped up? Generally, a game is rated on all aspects: graphics, story, game-play, replay value, etc. I can see olf's point in that respect.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#52 Post by PyTom »

eclipse wrote:Anywhooo, do you guys think graphics should be stepped up?
I think that we should do our best with the resources available to us. While high-quality character art is good (and some games have it, I think), it's better to release a game with low quality art then to not release the game at all. Ditto for things like backgrounds, sound, length, etc.

While I think we should keep an eye out for quality (and not do things to actively degrade quality), we stay within our means, slowly expanding the boundaries of OEL b-gaming.

The good news is the fanbase of OEL b-gaming seems to be expanding... hopefully one day we will be able to capitalize on that to produce even better games, games that are accessible to a large English-language community rather than a few elitists on the MT forums.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kikered
Regular

#53 Post by Kikered »

Hm... I can see where olf was coming from with his comments about fan-made games in general. However, I was kinda irked that he seemed to expect fan games to be up to par with commercial games. Oh well.

It was an enlightening experience reading his opinions on the game though. At least it shows us that as a community, we've still got ways to go. But what will happen to the market once free fan-made games reach or exceed the quality of commercial games? :wink:

By the way, does anyone know what he meant by this statement?
you cannot force the skip: you should be either in skip mode (i.e. automatic skip mode) or be able to perform a manual "ALL TEXT" skip

TedTurtle

#54 Post by TedTurtle »

Wow I didn't know that we had a sub-topic about what went on at MT with olf, TaleWeaver, and myself.

I do agree with olf on the fact that most people do look at both artwork and story for ren'ai games and that people do get turned off from a game if either of those two parts isn't good. Even if that's the case don't say you won't play a new game, because you seen other people's ren'ai games, and think it's crap. I have never even drawn for game before so there's no way you could know if I draw crappy or not. olf just got on my last nerves so I stopped posting over there(at that topic) until intelligent life shows up. One thing that conversation did do was inspire me to do better as an artist. Hopefully once this project is done it will shut up some of the doubters of amateur ren'ai games.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#55 Post by rioka »

PyTom wrote:The good news is the fanbase of OEL b-gaming seems to be expanding... hopefully one day we will be able to capitalize on that to produce even better games, games that are accessible to a large English-language community rather than a few elitists on the MT forums.
True. Who needs to impress the few when the rest are those who really count?
Kikered wrote:But what will happen to the market once free fan-made games reach or exceed the quality of commercial games? :wink:
The world will end. j/k ;P At that time, I think the ren'ai community will be split much like the gaming world is split between big-company-produced games vs. indie games.
TedTurtle wrote:One thing that conversation did do was inspire me to do better as an artist. Hopefully once this project is done it will shut up some of the doubters of amateur ren'ai games.
It's good to hear you're channeling what happened in a positive way. Generally, though, someone who disdains something will find fault with it anyways so don't expect waves.... But anyways, good luck with your project! ^^

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#56 Post by papillon »

The thing about art judgement is that it can be awfully personal. Looking at my own work on SS, for instance, I consider it functional - good enough to pass but not 'good'. I get a wide range of responses to it, though, everything from "OMG YOUR GRAPHICS ARE SO CUTE!!! They are the best thing about the game!" to "The graphics on this game are HORRIBLE, I would pay for it but only if it had better graphics."

Neither of these, obviously, is what *I* think about my graphics.

A lot of it depends on what you're used to, and what you're looking for in a game.

Of course, it'll frustrate me a lot more on my next project when I shell out the big bucks to get art done to a higher standard and STILL get complaints, as I probably will. (Yes, SS has sold well enough that I am interested in financing a bigger story-game once Kishi Kawaii! is complete. I am not certain whether this potential project will really qualify as ren'ai either... there will be romantic elements and several possible partners for the player to choose between, but the mystery and staying-alive elements are stronger.)

Lokras

#57 Post by Lokras »

Good job overall, but was a guide to this ever released? I've looked, but can't find it. I've found the first 7 endings but the last eludes me, and I really can't be convinced to spend hours going through every possible path to find the one difference that changes the ending, especially when the paths don't really make sense to me.

Thanks.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#58 Post by rioka »

So far, no guide for MB has yet been released. It will be up to Kikered or Taleweaver whether there will be one. Btw, if you guys decide to make one, I could host it at Ren'ai Games if you like. =)

Kikered
Regular

#59 Post by Kikered »

If I made a guide, it would pretty much be a copy-paste of the scoring system used in the game. :P This may be more info than what Taleweaver may be planning to give, so we should wait until he gives his opinion on the matter.

Nobody

#60 Post by Nobody »

Although I haven't played all of it(got just three endings), I'd really love to compliment you on a job done more than well. Everything in the game fits so nicely together! The story, the art, the music! It's more touching than almost any game I've played before, and certainly every Ren'Ai.

Great job!