Pieces of writing. Critiques are welcome.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
yukipon
Regular
Organization: SJP

Re: Pieces of writing. Critiques are welcome.

#16 Post by yukipon »

It's been two years since my first change. In this small span of time I've experienced more excitement than can be found in a lifetime, but I've also uncovered hidden secrets and terrible truths.
A flickering light isn't the sign of an electrical failure. Creaking in an old house is due to something with weight. Parent and child alike are careless in not being afraid of the dark.
What about:
"Creaking in an old house isn't meaningless."
"Creaking in an old house means something."
"Creaking in an old house is due to mass and energy." (^_^)

For that sentence, what are you trying to convey and relate? It sounds like you're trying to relate "creaking" with some sort of person or thing and convey that something sinister or evil is lurking there, but the sentence really does sound awkward if it follows this: "A flickering light isn't the sign of an electrical failure."
"How do you know my name? Damn, this can only mean one of two things: Either we have met, and you are telling the truth, and I just can't remember it, or you are a spy." ~Setou Kenji (Katawa Shoujo)
Status: Thinking. Planning. And playing Phantasy Star Online 2 JP.

Meinos Kaen
Regular
Completed: JPDE - Sonata of Fire
Projects: JPDE, Ars Oratoria, ONHA

#17 Post by Meinos Kaen »

yukipon wrote:
It's been two years since my first change. In this small span of time I've experienced more excitement than can be found in a lifetime, but I've also uncovered hidden secrets and terrible truths.
A flickering light isn't the sign of an electrical failure. Creaking in an old house is due to something with weight. Parent and child alike are careless in not being afraid of the dark.
What about:
"Creaking in an old house isn't meaningless."
"Creaking in an old house means something."
"Creaking in an old house is due to mass and energy." (^_^)

For that sentence, what are you trying to convey and relate? It sounds like you're trying to relate "creaking" with some sort of person or thing and convey that something sinister or evil is lurking there, but the sentence really does sound awkward if it follows this: "A flickering light isn't the sign of an electrical failure."
Yeah, that's the point. Not sinister and evil, necessarily, just... Something. With the lightbulb is easier since there aren't many natural causes that can cause it to act like that.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#18 Post by Taleweaver »

Really, all of this...
...sounds really awkward. What about:

Code: Select all

In this small span of time I've experienced more excitement than can be found in a lifetime, but I've also uncovered hidden secrets and terrible truths. Now things make me uneasy that you'd probably overlook.

Like that lightbulb that is flickering even though you've paid your bills.
Or the boards that are creaking even though no one is even close to them.
Or the sudden, pitch-black darkness when you turn off the lights, even though there's a full moon outside.

What, aren't you afraid of the dark? No?

Well, you should be.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Meinos Kaen
Regular
Completed: JPDE - Sonata of Fire
Projects: JPDE, Ars Oratoria, ONHA

#19 Post by Meinos Kaen »

Taleweaver wrote:Really, all of this...
...sounds really awkward. What about:

Code: Select all

In this small span of time I've experienced more excitement than can be found in a lifetime, but I've also uncovered hidden secrets and terrible truths. Now things make me uneasy that you'd probably overlook.

Like that lightbulb that is flickering even though you've paid your bills.
Or the boards that are creaking even though no one is even close to them.
Or the sudden, pitch-black darkness when you turn off the lights, even though there's a full moon outside.

What, aren't you afraid of the dark? No?

Well, you should be.
Hmm... Sounds much better. I guess what it was really needed was a general do-over.