The Sight of Autumn v2

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
M12
Veteran

Re: The Sight of Autumn v2

#16 Post by M12 »

Thanks monele =D. Yep, the train will still be moving. Most of the animations will remain. But speaking of which, I could use some opinion on something. In the original version, the game sometimes lagged quite badly. For example, during the ferris wheel animation, etc. I wonder if I should just remove those animations altogether? What do you guys think? Thanks.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

Generally, you want to keep large sweeping 'animations' to a minimum. That's why pans and zooms are frequent culprits for lagging on slow machines -- they update a lot of the screen (namely, the entire screen.)

But I don't think it's also wise to shrink the ferris wheel to the size of a pinwheel just for consideration.

M12
Veteran

#18 Post by M12 »

Yes, you are right DaFool. But things like the dawn sky panning outside the ferris, I would really like to keep. I have already created the graphics for it, so I think I will go with it. But the ferris animation is the worst, because every frame is a new image. I was young (^__^;) back then and didn't realise it would slow the machine down. I'd really like to keep the animations, but I also don't want to slow the game down. What should I do >_<?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by monele »

Funny... I don't remember noticing any annoying slow downs ô_o... Has my memory faded?

M12
Veteran

#20 Post by M12 »

Only some people noticed the lag. I think if you have a more powerful computer, you won't notice it much.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by DaFool »

every frame is a new image.
It's a tradeoff. If you want to use engine-based animations (i.e. Flash animations, Ren'Py animations), you optimize things so that the image being manipulated (i.e. spun, tweened, rotozoomed, etc.) is a low-filesize image.

If you end up using frame-by-frame, it won't differ from standard keyframe animation. You might as well make the thing video.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by monele »

low-filesize
Just nitpicking a bit :)... filesize (I mean, size of the picture file on your hard disk) won't directly change how fast it displays on the screen. Picture size (in pixels), though, is what counts ^^

M12
Veteran

#23 Post by M12 »

Yes you are both right. I guess it's just something I'll remember for my future projects, like A Missing Memoir. As for TSOA, it'll just go to show I didn't know about it back then.

Now that I check again, the ferris animation is actually a video.

M12
Veteran

#24 Post by M12 »