Anyone willing to participate in experimental VN?(Concluded)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
BigFish
Regular

Re: Anyone willing to participate in experimental VN?(RUNNING)

#16 Post by BigFish »

Here's the image file you're missing out on. It's stored in "JQuartz_1_data.rpa". Works fine for me. Maybe using 6.4.0 would help? I noticed on the traceback thing that you were using 6.3.0.
Attachments
JQuartz_1_pizza.png
JQuartz_1_pizza.png (917 Bytes) Viewed 1441 times

BigFish
Regular

#17 Post by BigFish »

Also, I've made a zip file with everything in it, including a much easier to understand "template.rpy"!

Hope this motivates more people to contribute!

Extra Note:
Make sure to move "template.rpy" out of the game before trying to play.
Attachments
StarterPack.zip
(116.55 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by BigFish on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by monele »

Ok, it *was* due to the version. It seems the new rpa is incompatible with an older version of RenPy ^^;...

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#19 Post by Vatina »

I was also using the older version, so that was probably what caused my error too. I'll try again tomorrow with the new version and see how it works out :)

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#20 Post by JQuartz »

monele wrote:Ok, it *was* due to the version. It seems the new rpa is incompatible with an older version of RenPy ^^;...
Sorry about that. I edited the 'Things needed' to RenPy 6.4.0

And also thanks to Bigfish for making a starter pack, Monele and Vatina for their feedbacks.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

BigFish
Regular

#21 Post by BigFish »

A note for my starter pack: Move "Template.rpy" out of the game folder before trying to play the game. It uses some wrong syntax in places, which brings up an error message.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#22 Post by JQuartz »

BigFish wrote:A note for my starter pack: Move "Template.rpy" out of the game folder before trying to play the game. It uses some wrong syntax in places, which brings up an error message.[/b]
Well you can also block all of it by select all then Ctrl + Q

EDIT: Polls removed since I decided to just do all of them (though the prompt based template would be given priority). Sorry for that.

It's not like I could enforce these rules but...
One person doing only one chapter rule discarded. One can make a whole story from beginning to end. Just make sure the chapters are split after points where decision making is theoretically possible.

500kb rule is also discarded. However anything more than 500kb is considered a real chapter (as opposed to chapters for experimental purposes) so will be subject to comments and criticisms. Also it's best for these real chapters not to branch off from experimental ones. It's okay for experimental ones to branch off from real ones though.

In order to facilitate the creation of a real chapter, the prologue will be edited to become as generic as possible(anyone, any where, anytime). Hopefully the new version will be up by the end of this week.

In order to reduce the complexity of the template, a prompt based interface will hopefully be created by the end of this week.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Anyone willing to participate in experimental VN?(ON HOLD)

#23 Post by monele »

Btw, the menu choices are stuck in the upper left corner for me... Is this normal?

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by JQuartz »

monele wrote:Btw, the menu choices are stuck in the upper left corner for me... Is this normal?
Yes but the new version (4.0) of script.rpy places the menu in the center.

STATUS REPORT
Prompt based interface template generator is finally finished. Download it at the first post. To use, download 'prompt based template.rpy' and put into the folder with the other stuff. Run the game and a new button will appear at the main menu. Click on it and follow the prompt. This means template.rpy will most likely be obsolete.

Latest version = script.rpy (version 4.0) , prompt based template.rpy (version 1.0)
Currently no know bugs.

Branches Already In Use:
Chapter 1:
Branch 1, Branch 2

Chapter 2:
Branch 2

Chapter 3:
Branch 2

Conclusion
1. Interest is hard to maintain given the emphasis on quantity rather than quality.
2. Author of quality work might not agree to the way his/her story is butchered (which will happen when someone else tries to branch off from the mentioned piece)
3. The system might be useful for episodic content.