Japanese words

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Japanese words

#1 Post by Wright1000 »

I don't know Japanese but some Japanese words are used in the games.
I want to know their meanings?
What does senpai mean?
Does sensei means teacher?
Does oniichan means brother?
What does san and kun mean? San and kun is used after a person's name?
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

Re: Japanese words

#2 Post by Snowflower »

Wright1000 wrote:I don't know Japanese but some Japanese words are used in the games.
I want to know their meanings?
What does senpai mean?
Does sensei means teacher?
Does oniichan means brother?
What does san and kun mean? San and kun is used after a person's name?

"Senpai" means something like senior (like I'm a senior in high school. for freshmen-junior, I'm their senpai)
Sensei means teacher, yes
Onii-chan means (older) brother, yes. Onee-chan means sister. More family titles
san&kun are honorifics... I guess you can say they're similar to Mr. Mrs. Miss. Japanese Honorifics
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Wright1000, you may benefit by reading TVTropes' guide to anime fan-speak. The article also mentions terms which English speaking fans use incorrectly.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#4 Post by Greeny »

For the love of God, don't mix Japanese and English.

That is all.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

choklitchan
Regular

#5 Post by choklitchan »

Greeny wrote:For the love of God, don't mix Japanese and English.

That is all.
Well, I think it really depends on how you use it, and why. I agree that it's annoying hearing Japanese words from someone who has no idea what they mean, or how to use it. However, if the story has strong Japanese tones, it's probably necessary to place nuances like -sama, -chan, or concepts like tsundere, deredere, etc that simply can't be expressed as effectively by English. A good storyteller can pull it off; I think. But not excessively.
Translated manga or anime, for example; I like the words to be as close as humanly possible to the original meaning; taking away honorifics or Japanese concepts robs the work of much of its integrity.
In my humble opinion, at least. :)
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)

Agent Zero
Regular

#6 Post by Agent Zero »

choklitchan wrote:

That is all.
Well, I think it really depends on how you use it, and why. I agree that it's annoying hearing Japanese words from someone who has no idea what they mean, or how to use it. However, if the story has strong Japanese tones, it's probably necessary to place nuances like -sama, -chan, or concepts like tsundere, deredere, etc that simply can't be expressed as effectively by English. A good storyteller can pull it off; I think. But not excessively.
Translated manga or anime, for example; I like the words to be as close as humanly possible to the original meaning; taking away honorifics or Japanese concepts robs the work of much of its integrity.
In my humble opinion, at least. :)
In other words keep the honorfixes and try to leave some of the original text intact.

Currently in school. By June 22th a site a blog and a game should be up and running.

choklitchan
Regular

#7 Post by choklitchan »

@Agent Zero: Basically. ^_^ I'm a a bit of a purist when it comes to translations. But when it comes to a foreigner trying to imitate Japanese-style stories, it's usually difficult to grasp enough of the concepts to make the story feel authentically Japanese. Not saying it can't be done though.

Edit: nvm... T___T My concentration skills are digressing.
Last edited by choklitchan on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)

Agent Zero
Regular

#8 Post by Agent Zero »

choklitchan wrote:@Agent Zero: Basically. ^_^ I'm a a bit of a purist when it comes to translations. But when it comes to a foreigner trying to imitate Japanese-style stories, it's usually difficult to grasp enough of the concepts to make the story feel authentically Japanese. Not saying it can't be done though.
Of course it can be done ; but it takes awful lot of skill.
Hmm. I wonder should I try and use honofixes in my game >.>"

Currently in school. By June 22th a site a blog and a game should be up and running.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#9 Post by Snowflower »

I personally use honorifics in my VNs when they call for it... like the one I'm working on right now. But it also calls for "Onii-sama" as well... & I use it.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube

Agent Zero
Regular

#10 Post by Agent Zero »

So ? Several classmates read manga and watch anime. We have integrated the Senpai system ( We are a mixed generation 1994/95 so the '95 aka Me and 6 others have to address all of them as Sempai ; but we have a Bosnian word for it ;) )
P.S. I hope to see your game soon.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#11 Post by Snowflower »

well, i've already stated in. Another topic that my ethnicity is Korean and it's extremely common for Korean cultures to use similar honorifics, but they're not as well known as the Japanese amongst the VN world. So, i'm aware of their uses, but i just switch them with the Japanese ones in VNs

But there's no need for them in my California school. Even back when i was in middle school, I called seniors by their names.

& thank you for the interest :) I'm working hard.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#12 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

That is all.
This. So much this.

If you are writing an original story and it is NOT set in Japan, don't even use the honorifics. They have no meaning or place in cultures without a rigidly defined social status system.

If you are translating a story from Japanese, by all means, leave the honorifics, as often they will show or imply relationship statuses that go unmentioned elsewhere in the text.

A Japanese author may not bring up that two characters are brother or sister except in how they address one another, or that a character is an upper classman, because that information will be conveyed in honorifics. An English author has no need of honorifics, because they will have the brother and sister call each other "sis" or "bro" or reference their sibling status in dialogue. The same with teachers or upper classmen. "Teach" or "Professor" or simply "Mr. John Doe teaches the class" will be used, and in English, a person being higher in an organization or school or job will rarely be mentioned - especially in a country like the United States, where implying we or someone else isn't equal (regardless of the reality) is just as big a faux pas as neglecting to honor higher status would be in a country like Japan. We even purposefully call our supreme leader "MR. President", addressing him the same way we would a neighbor next door.

Besides all that intellectual stuff, it annoys me when people sprinkle in Japanese words in VN seemingly for the heck of it. "Pantsu", ending sentences in "ne", "ecchi" (unless the characters are anime nerds or Japanese, they will never use this word, instead saying "naughty" or "perverted" or "erotic"). I guess it annoys me so much because it smacks of "posing", being a "poser" and pretending to be something you aren't.

You wouldn't have your 1800s characters using "surfer speak" because it would be inappropriate. Why then have stories that take place outside of Japan, and have characters using Japanese words when the characters AREN'T Japanese? It is just as inappropriate and ridiculous.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#13 Post by MaiMai »

Basically what Greeny and LateWhiteRabbit said.

I will personally come down and hunt you if you use Japanese words when your setting isn't even Japanese. Okay, I won't, but it really is pointless and inappropriate for all the reasons LateWhiteRabbit stated. The use of of appropriate diction is important and knowing what sort of vernacular you're using is important for good storytelling!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:A Japanese author may not bring up that two characters are brother or sister except in how they address one another, or that a character is an upper classman, because that information will be conveyed in honorifics. An English author has no need of honorifics, because they will have the brother and sister call each other "sis" or "bro" or reference their sibling status in dialogue. The same with teachers or upper classmen. "Teach" or "Professor" or simply "Mr. John Doe teaches the class" will be used, and in English, a person being higher in an organization or school or job will rarely be mentioned - especially in a country like the United States, where implying we or someone else isn't equal (regardless of the reality) is just as big a faux pas as neglecting to honor higher status would be in a country like Japan. We even purposefully call our supreme leader "MR. President", addressing him the same way we would a neighbor next door.
It reminds me to my English teacher (a native one) who feels discomfort when we call him Sir.<insert his name> or Teacher. He insists to be called with his first name. Now we're the one who feel discomfort... In Indonesia (and Japan), we call our teacher with simply Teach (sensei) or Mr./Mrs.<insert his/her name>. It's our way to show our respect to our teacher.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#15 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote: It reminds me to my English teacher (a native one) who feels discomfort when we call him Sir.<insert his name> or Teacher. He insists to be called with his first name. Now we're the one who feel discomfort... In Indonesia (and Japan), we call our teacher with simply Teach (sensei) or Mr./Mrs.<insert his/her name>. It's our way to show our respect to our teacher.
Yes, that makes sense. Many American teachers, if they are not teaching children, prefer to be called by their first name. Many feel that someone who demands to be called "Sir" is placing themselves on a pedestal, like some kind of elite person above everyone else. A common retort in America to being called "Sir" is "Don't call me 'Sir'. I work for a living." This is to imply that they are the same as you, only with a different job, and thus, equal.

The teacher is actually trying to show YOU respect by asking to be called by his first name. Odd as it may be for some people in other countries, in America, most of the ways to show respect involve implying that both people are on equal ground or standing, regardless of the truth of that, like I said before. Sometimes a subtle insult will be someone refusing to call someone by their first name after being asked to, instead resolutely continuing to call the other person by their title. This can be considered a snub because you are refusing to occupy equal ground with them. It may be done when someone thinks the other person believes they are better than them and only claiming to be equal as lip-service. Continuing to call them by their title is a way of saying, "I know you are lying about thinking we are equals, so I am not going to dignify that lie by pretending to accept it."

Of course, calling someone by their title in America is still considered a sign of respect, but it is considered very rude to continue to do so when asked not to.

Haha. I hope that isn't too confusing. It all comes from being raised in a society obsessed with the notion of equality.