Mink Discusses/Reviews...

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Mink Discusses/Reviews...

#1 Post by Mink »

...games you may or may not have heard of. There's a thread similar to this and I'm admitting to stealing that idea. That, and I wasn't sure if this was worth me making a blog for, so a thread in a forum is good enough. Note: if you want to suggest a game (for iOS, generally, because I can take my ipod touch anywhere, unlike my laptop), feel free and it need not be otome. Though I'll admit to having a fondness for obscure things. <3

Also, here's a link to the original thread: The Otome World According to Rivi & Meg!

-----------------------------------------------------------

First subject: Kira*Kira!
Title screen with unlocked extras option
Title screen with unlocked extras option
And no, not THIS Kira Kira.

This Kira*Kira is by Zodiac, and is about a young man named Nanao who was separated from his sister (Yae) and his dedication to starting over and living with her as a family.

Story/Plot:
D'aaawww
D'aaawww
For a more in-depth synopis: Nanao and Yae Hasebe lived for years with just their abusive mother. One snowy day, Nanao and Yae's mom decides to throw Yae off the roof of their apartment building, herself following after. Nanao and Yae (who managed to survive the fall) were separated for five years, both living in completely different places and being barred from seeing each other. The now adult Nanao spent years trying to make enough money and have a place to stay so that he could take in his sister and they could try to live together as a family. So he goes to meet her at noon, and from there it's kind of up to the player.

Now, overall, I felt the story was very interesting. Because 1) it's not a dating game (SHOCKER) and 2) it seems to be more about family than anything else, and how often can you say you see that? Though I will say that depending on the path you're on, it veers off straight into WTF. There is also some...implicit things regarding the abuse, so uh...yeah. I don't want to say what it comes of like, but I'll say this: Sha Jien/Dokugakuji from Saiyuki.

Take from that what you will.

Characters:

They're pretty well done, actually. There's the implication that Nanao may be crushing on his sister, but it's the first time he's seen her in five years and he didn't even recognize her at first. It's not unrealistic and it never goes into creeper territory or like he's going to go, "Yeah, I'm wanna boink my sister!"

Actually, in all honesty, if such a relationship was portrayed realistically and not just as "LOL FETISH" or wank material, it would probably make for a really interesting story.

Art:

Not much to say...It's nice and I like it. Yae has some funny facial expressions, some of which are like, >8C.

Translation:
Uh, wait. What?
Uh, wait. What?
...It needs work. It's not hard to understand and it's one of the better apps like this out there, but you can tell it's by someone who's first language is not English. One or two choices may be a bit confusing because of this, but overall you should be able to read it without your eyes starting to bleed or something.

Endings:

The point of playing, right? I'll list them here:
  • -Ending 1: Good ending

-Ending 2: Bad/Evil Ending

-Ending 3: True Ending

-Ending 4: Travel Ending

-'Dead End' <---Basically, you've majorly screwed up.
The true ending is veeery tricky to get, trust me. If anyone plays and needs help getting them all, feel free to PM, because I've gotten every one. However, if you get a 'Dead End' at least twice, Yae will mock you/Nanao, and will offer to give you advice on how to get certain endings.

Extras:

Now, once you get all the endings, you get a 'sequel' of sorts, which is a kinetic novel from Yae's POV.

*Warning*: Okay, how can I put this...Some of this may be trigger-y to certain people. Yae finds something out about a certain character and flips out, but considering she hated this person prior to this and wanted to beat them up, it's not surprising. They get along better later, though. There is also some that happens between her and that character that certain other people, understandably, may not want to read.

I won't say what it is, but PM me or post here and I'll gladly tell you, because they're both spoilers. Also keep in mind Yae's KN also makes what's implicit in the main game a bit more so.

You also unlock dialogue being spoken by Nanao and Yae (the rest of the game is unvoiced), but I haven't the foggiest idea of what's being said, because it's in Japanese. There's a few more things, such as credits that *appear* to have notes written by the members of the team (once again, in Japanese) that you can read...if you can read it, that is.

The only thing I wish you could unlock was the ending song, called 'Precious Memories' and is performed by 'riya' (unless there is a way I missed, and if so OTL;)

Overall score:

I'm going to go with 4/5. I really enjoyed the game, and if not for the English translation needing work I probably would have given it a perfect score. Hopefully Zodiac will release more, or I need to finally learn Japanese. Okay, I want to learn it anyway, but nothing like incentive!

Kira*Kira is available in the Itunes app store for $5 (or if you must be picky, $4.99). There is a 'lite' or demo version you can try, so I encourage you to do that, at least.

-Zodiac's site (Japanese)

-Kira*Kira site (also Japanese)

Sadly, I can't read a word of either and some of it looks interesting. Anyone who can read it, have at it!

Also, because of Yae, this song is stuck in my head: TSUN TSUN DERE TSUN DERE TSUN TSUN.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Mink Discusses/Reviews...

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Always the sister, always the sister :roll:

Any way to play without iTunes?

(sorry, I'm not just googling it :D )
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#3 Post by Mink »

Good thing it's not cousins, otherwise I'd have been making a looot of redneck jokes. /horrible person (I'm from/live in the south, so it's okay) Though I have to admit, the fact that the focus seems to be family is what surprised me about it.

And I don't think so. From what I can tell, it's only for iOS. Unless there's some secret way to play iOS games without needing an ipod or something that I don't know about.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Forbiddenone

#4 Post by Forbiddenone »

Any idea what happened to this game?

When I try to buy it on my iphone, I get a message saying the game is no longer available. When I tried via iTunes, I got a message saying it was TEMPORAILY not available.

After exchanging a few e-mails with iTunes support they finally told me to ask the developers, which I did. Twice.

Neither my message in English nor the one in Japanese got any response.

What happened? is there still a way to get this game?

It's been a while, too, so I don't think it's just a temporary outage... (I'm in the US, if that matters... anyone in the UK care to check to see if it is still for sale across the pond?)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

The version of Zodiac's Kira*Kira that I saw on iTunes US today was last updated three years ago, but still seems to be on sale for $4.99.

Forbiddenone

#6 Post by Forbiddenone »

gekiganwing wrote:The version of Zodiac's Kira*Kira that I saw on iTunes US today was last updated three years ago, but still seems to be on sale for $4.99.
If you actually try to buy it, you'll see an error message (which one depends on whether you try to buy it via iphone or via iTunes on your PC).

Drina

#7 Post by Drina »

You're right, it appears to no longer be on sale...I don't know why and it's really sad. :/ I'm just lucky to have a copy of it already. I'm thinking of figuring out a way to put it up online for people to install if they want to...

Forbiddenone

#8 Post by Forbiddenone »

Drina wrote:You're right, it appears to no longer be on sale...I don't know why and it's really sad. :/ I'm just lucky to have a copy of it already. I'm thinking of figuring out a way to put it up online for people to install if they want to...
<3