Selling Question + Other newbie questions ><;;...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Astray

Selling Question + Other newbie questions ><;;...

#1 Post by Astray »

Hey,

This is my first post. I'll prolly be back when I actually start making my game. But I had a question:

Are we allowed to sell the games we make with this program? If I ever completed one, I'd like to sell it at a con or something. Is that ok? Do you need permission?

Thanks ^^
Last edited by Astray on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#2 Post by Alessio »

Welcome!

If by "this program" you mean Ren'Py (that's not obvious since you posted your question in the general Game-Makers' section) I'd re-route you to this thread:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1154

Astray

#3 Post by Astray »

I see, thanks for the link.

And I read the tutotial and all I did was change the name of the game from "Tutorial or whatever~" to another title and I got an error already T_T;;
I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

ParseError: On line 774 of game/script.rpy: is not terminated with a newline (check quotes and parenthesis).

While parsing game/script.rpy.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#4 Post by Alessio »

Try using the search function in this forum, and also post in the Ren'Py forum, not in this one.

Here's something about that error of yours:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=505

Some editors (Word or Wordpad for example) seem to cause problems. Replace the faulty text file, and try again using e.g. Notepad or SciTE.

Astray

#5 Post by Astray »

Thanks sooo much ><;! I'll head over to the other forums next time I have a question ^^ I think this will fix my problem, since I am using Wordpad .

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Random : I like your avatar ^^

Kris Schnee

#7 Post by Kris Schnee »

ParseError: On line 774 of game/script.rpy: is not terminated with a newline (check quotes and parenthesis).
I've gotten that error a lot, using Notepad... the problem seems to just be that RenPy wants a blank line at the end of the file. Go to the end, hit Enter, save, and you're done.
You may need to upgrade your government to enable this feature.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

Re: Selling Question + Other newbie questions ><;;...

#8 Post by Otaku Dash »

Astray wrote:Hey,

This is my first post. I'll prolly be back when I actually start making my game. But I had a question:

Are we allowed to sell the games we make with this program? If I ever completed one, I'd like to sell it at a con or something. Is that ok? Do you need permission?

Thanks ^^
Hey, welcome to the forums! It's good to see new members coming up ^^

As much as I know, Ren'Py is affected by a Freeware clausule so it can only be used for "freeware" games.. therefore you cannot use the program to sell the final product... though I'm not sure on this but prehaps Pytom can anwser this question better than I can.

As for Ren'py editing... it's fairly dificult to use notepad... sometimes you end up clearing some of the required code and it's hard to diferenciate between the code lines and their functions. I advice you to use the edited version of SciTE for Ren'py that is available here on the Ren'py thread of the same name. After dowloading the program.. make use of teh right click on the script file and use "open with"... go to browse, go to the folder you have the SciTE extracted and choose it. Check the "open always with this program" option and you're set!

SciTE organizes well the lines of colde and some are colored to show wich is important or not.. so it should help when organizing the progress of you project.

I hope this helps in anyway... and as I said before... welcome!
Last edited by Otaku Dash on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

Otaku Dash wrote: As much as I know, Ren'Py is affected by a Freeware clausule so therefore it can only be used for freeware games.. therefore you cannot use the program to sell the final product... though I'm not sure on this but prehaps Pytom can anwser this question better than I can.
This is incorrect. Ren'Py is covered by the MIT license, which basically says you can do whatever you want with it as long as you don't claim you wrote it. Some parts of the windows distribution are covered by the LGPL, which means you have to download the latest file from:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/dl/lgpl/

And include that on your CD. Other then that, you can make as much money off of your games as you want.

I suggest using SciTE for Ren'Py for editing Ren'Py. A version of SciTe for Ren'Py will ship with a future version of Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#10 Post by Otaku Dash »

PyTom wrote:
Otaku Dash wrote: As much as I know, Ren'Py is affected by a Freeware clausule so therefore it can only be used for freeware games.. therefore you cannot use the program to sell the final product... though I'm not sure on this but prehaps Pytom can anwser this question better than I can.
This is incorrect. Ren'Py is covered by the MIT license, which basically says you can do whatever you want with it as long as you don't claim you wrote it. Some parts of the windows distribution are covered by the LGPL, which means you have to download the latest file from:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/dl/lgpl/

And include that on your CD. Other then that, you can make as much money off of your games as you want.

I suggest using SciTE for Ren'Py for editing Ren'Py. A version of SciTe for Ren'Py will ship with a future version of Ren'Py.
*goes to a corner and enters catatonic state* lol

My bad then.. I apologise for giving wrong information... I haven't been on the forums for a while so I couldn't recall well.... :)

I always used SciTE... it's fairly simple and it's far eaiser to ajust the code lines... the colored Opinion lines also helped a lot in learning (though I still am learning how to use Ren'py ^^; ). It's good to know a new version is coming up :)
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Astray

#11 Post by Astray »

Thanks guys! I quit using Wordpad, and as you guys said, it fixed the error. And ah, thats cool. I'm glad I now know for sure the rules of selling ^^.

Nio
Regular
Projects: ??????

#12 Post by Nio »

The better question is: is there really a market for this?

With so many free games out there now and considering how small of a niche this kind of product is will there be enough people to buy compared to the time you spend on it? Not to sound like a wet towel, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Do it because you love it, not for money.

This is one thing that has stopped me. Of course this is all speculation on my part as I have no marketing research on this.

If someone has information on this I'd love to hear it. ^^

And yes, for those that remember me, I'm still alive. :P

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#13 Post by mikey »

Nio wrote:And yes, for those that remember me, I'm still alive. :P
Heeey, welcome back... :P
Nio wrote:This is one thing that has stopped me. Of course this is all speculation on my part as I have no marketing research on this.

So, no Blue Laps? :(

Nio
Regular
Projects: ??????

#14 Post by Nio »

mikey wrote:
Nio wrote:This is one thing that has stopped me. Of course this is all speculation on my part as I have no marketing research on this.

So, no Blue Laps? :(
Well that, time and my script writer sorta gave up. :/

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Adorya »

Nio wrote:The better question is: is there really a market for this?

With so many free games out there now and considering how small of a niche this kind of product is will there be enough people to buy compared to the time you spend on it? Not to sound like a wet towel, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Do it because you love it, not for money.

This is one thing that has stopped me. Of course this is all speculation on my part as I have no marketing research on this.

If someone has information on this I'd love to hear it. ^^

And yes, for those that remember me, I'm still alive. :P
It depend on what kind of reader you are aiming and the quality of your work.
The hype now in french conventions is doujin yaoi, there are countless of stand there now and buyer are young women who are not too much into japanimemanga but are lured by this relatively recent wave. My sister who own a stand on most of them draw yaoi doujin, yaoi original stories and several smalls items like postcards..and they all sell quite well. If she consider making a yaoi VN, I am sure it will be still sold, regardless of the price (though her prices are quite fair imo).

However, trying an original VN story not "in the hype" may cause you some convention failure, unless you have a very good art or a well placed stand.

From my experience, best is to start with parody or the "hype wave". Anything related to them work. Gain popularity, and then insert your own work progressively in the way...or get a place with Pytom in VN stand ^^